Page 17 of 192 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: WD Trivia/Storytime Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    wow. thank you for clearing that up.

the internet is the problem there are 2 readily available stories I can come across. I'm not looking for an autobiography or essay just the mere basics. One of the stories is something like Working Designs started off as some sort of tax software company, its original president died of natural causes, nobody knew what to do until leadership kinda fell into your hands as you took advantage of connections to Japanese game companies you made writing for some gaming rag and they threw you a few cheap licenses which worked out business wise.

Then there's another one that claims Working Designs was originally part of some logging company until the president ODed on drugs, you were second in command and decided you wanted to do video games instead of crap involving logging.
    The second one sounds closer to the right one, except it wasn't the president that OD'ed (medical malpractice - the doctor went to jail for prescribing conflicting meds that killed him), it was the programmer of the unfinished logging management software. I stepped in and finished the software for a few years and then transitioned WD to a game company. Yeah, it's a weird path. But it happened. The 80's were awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    The second one sounds closer to the right one, except it wasn't the president that OD'ed (medical malpractice - the doctor went to jail for prescribing conflicting meds that killed him), it was the programmer of the unfinished logging management software. I stepped in and finished the software for a few years and then transitioned WD to a game company. Yeah, it's a weird path. But it happened. The 80's were awesome.
    That is so out there and, aside from the whole death thing, is an unbelievably awesome business route.

So the WD name and logo was already there before you guys localized games? 0-0 soooo the logo in all these games was the logo of an old programming company?

I had no idea WD had such amazing/complex history, I just thought you just went in guns blazing taking the west by storm lol. Looks like you lived a dream switching a software programming company to a niche game localization company. A+ for originality BTW :P

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    So the WD name and logo was already there before you guys localized games? 0-0 soooo the logo in all these games was the logo of an old programming company?

I had no idea WD had such amazing/complex history, I just thought you just went in guns blazing taking the west by storm lol. Looks like you lived a dream switching a software programming company to a niche game localization company. A+ for originality BTW :P
    Yeah, the base logo and name were inherited. We changed the logo over time a little for practical reasons. It was not well-suited to be a game company logo, but we made it work.

Yeah, the base logo and name were inherited. We changed the logo over time a little for practical reasons. It was not well-suited to be a game company logo, but we made it work.
    Sounds like another first (Nintendo excluded as they are both hardware/software makers). Keep it up Vic

You sure did, when I first started seeing the logo I thought "wow... Working designs... pink logo with fine letters...this company must make plastic dolls and knitting supplies..."(I was a kid, cut me some slack XD) And then I played Lunar and well then I started thinking "wow... all companies should have pink logos!" looking at it now the fuchsia is kinda nice XP

Yeah, say what you will about the logo, but I always like how it popped on the side of those SegaCD/Saturn Long Boxes. Maybe something with the pink on blue/white just gave it a very distinct feel. It also makes it easy to eyeball what I'm looking for on my shelf since I can recognize them near instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Yeah, say what you will about the logo, but I always like how it popped on the side of those SegaCD/Saturn Long Boxes. Maybe something with the pink on blue/white just gave it a very distinct feel. It also makes it easy to eyeball what I'm looking for on my shelf since I can recognize them near instantly.
    To be fair, I think it was the embossing that really did those boxes justice, particularly the Saturn. The Saturn's white cover permitted the other colors to pop nicely. The Rayearth cover in particular is astonishing.

Here's the thing about Working Designs. The company didn't always localize the best games. But it did the best it could with what it had. That is at least as important. Games like Vay and Albert Odyssey are really...well...meh. Awfully rudimentary, paint by numbers RPGs. If not for the scripting and the extra "life" that WD added to them, there's no way in hell I'd have slogged through. I'm no Japanese speaker and haven't played through the originals. But I'll venture a guess that any charm those games have is due to the localization. There's a concept called "Woolseyism" named after Ted Woolsey of Squaresoft. Working Designs was, for the most part, all about the Woolseyisms. Translations can't be better than the original by definition. But localizations can be.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    To be fair, I think it was the embossing that really did those boxes justice, particularly the Saturn. The Saturn's white cover permitted the other colors to pop nicely. The Rayearth cover in particular is astonishing.

Here's the thing about Working Designs. The company didn't always localize the best games. But it did the best it could with what it had. That is at least as important. Games like Vay and Albert Odyssey are really...well...meh. Awfully rudimentary, paint by numbers RPGs. If not for the scripting and the extra "life" that WD added to them, there's no way in hell I'd have slogged through.
    I gotta agree. the needless premium touches on the Sega CD games with the foiling and embossing were a real nice touch.

Shining Wisdom... I really didn't like that game, but the odd fan service kept me going. You've got a partner at the beginning of the game who winds up getting hurt or something and stays in bed for the entire remainder of the game. Every time you accomplish a story related mission and go back and talk to him, he's having a wet dream about a female from earlier Working Designs games. I couldn't help but laugh.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post

Here's the thing about Working Designs. The company didn't always localize the best games. But it did the best it could with what it had. That is at least as important. Games like Vay and Albert Odyssey are really...well...meh. Awfully rudimentary, paint by numbers RPGs. If not for the scripting and the extra "life" that WD added to them, there's no way in hell I'd have slogged through. I'm no Japanese speaker and haven't played through the originals. But I'll venture a guess that any charm those games have is due to the localization. There's a concept called "Woolseyism" named after Ted Woolsey of Squaresoft. Working Designs was, for the most part, all about the Woolseyisms. Translations can't be better than the original by definition. But localizations can be.
    I am no expert on the WD Sega CD localizations, but I would say that the PSX and PS2 games are easily as good as anything else, but for different reasons. Case in point, how many other PSX light gun games are as good as Elemental Gearbolt? None. How many action adventure games are as good as Alundra? I can't think of any. And Lunar Complete? It is in a class of its own. How many games can match the pure insanity of Arc the Lad collection and its shear playability and presentation? I can't think of anything. How many other companies in the PSX era would take a chance on games like Raystorm, Thunder Force V, or Silhouette Mirage?

Who else would take a chance on Iron Storm, MKR, or Gungriffon? And who was the first company to localize the Growlanser series when the closest thing we had seen was a localization of Langrisser in 1991?

Even going back to the TG16, there are few localized action games that compare to Exile. And there certainly aren't any strategy games aside from perhaps Nectaris is that even come close to Vasteel. The TG16 was certainly known for shooters, but all all of the WD games have held up well over the years.

The unique thing about WD was their miraculous ability to publish great games from all sorts of genres. These games are among my favorites, regardless of platform.