Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Popful Mail and Lunar II get de-WD'd

I'm always amazed by how often people cry about changes to the script (excluding censorship). Do these people not realize how shitty most of the writing in these games are? WD changes have almost always been a plus for me. You obviously want it to be true to the source material but there are only so many times I can read about how the power of friendship will be how they overcome their challenges or read "Name...."

I haven't played these two games yet so I can't comment on the difficulty.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Mage View Post
    I'm always amazed by how often people cry about changes to the script (excluding censorship). Do these people not realize how shitty most of the writing in these games are? WD changes have almost always been a plus for me. You obviously want it to be true to the source material but there are only so many times I can read about how the power of friendship will be how they overcome their challenges or read "Name...."

I haven't played these two games yet so I can't comment on the difficulty.
    I think most don't. Some are so delusional that they think bad writing is good because it's pure and kawaii :|.

Machine translations are the most literal and pure and perfect translations, none of this human interpretation bullshit. I don't understand why most people don't use them.

i didn't know popful mail was also impacted by the jokes of WD. honestly correcting thetranslation is one thing but yet the gameplay of lunar 2 in us version is completely different from the japanese one making it an entire different game. there is also one more music in the usa version that is not in the japanese one. if the guys want to restore to the original then apply the patch to the japanese version and let the usa one rest as is. fact is that the gameplay implementation are way better than the original as you can make your skills evolve while in the japanese version you can only lose MP to save... come on, was it that grave to have a reference to Oz and Bill Clinton ? i find it ridiculous even as a european but come on, on all the game there was at least 3 jokes. the rest of the translation is correct and readable and at that time we didn't expect much more... this is like a giant circus...

well, if it is possible toapply this translation to the japanese rom, ok, else i feel sorry for the 2 years wasted.

The JP text of Popful is a bit bland compared to the US version, but there are people who are purists about a game's localization so whatever, let them have that if they want. I think my sig pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

I also never had an issue with the MXP cost required for saving. It was like one additional battle before deciding to save/turning off the game normally. If you were playing the game where you were so low on MXP that that you couldn't afford to save you either just bought a huge spell or were saving like after every battle. I don't LIKE it, but I can live with it considering we got the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar14 View Post
    Machine translations are the most literal and pure and perfect translations, none of this human interpretation bullshit. I don't understand why most people don't use them.
    Funny enough, someone (namely, Tomato of Mother 3 fan translation fame) tried doing this with Final Fantasy IV and the results are hilarious.
    Last edited by ninjamitsuki; 01-27-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamitsuki View Post
    Funny enough, someone (namely, Mr. Tomato of Mother 3 fan translation fame) tried doing this with Final Fantasy IV and the results are hilarious.
    Loved that link. Those screens are like trying to understand one of Tempest's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Best1989 View Post
    Loved that link. Those screens are like trying to understand one of Tempest's posts.
    Mind blown gif
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar14 View Post
    Virtually all of those changes are for the better, except for those nudity edits. WTF, there was no benefit from the boob edits.
    It was required by SEGA at the time. I clearly remember a long, detailed conversation about boobs and nipples on Plantella with our female account rep.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamitsuki View Post
    Personally, I didn't like the real world references, they broke immersion and dated the game.
    But the games take place in our future or an alternate timeline of our future, so those things COULD easily apply. People never really consider that. Shigema wussed out in making the connection more obvious (apologizing for it at dinner one night in Japan), though, with the name of the first Dragonmaster in the legend. You can figure out the intent if you think about it, but the name was originally something else.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast