Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII: Remake Trailer

FF7 had a ton of unique content and the way they pulled it off was by making most areas just a handful of 2D images. Obviously doing the same content but as modern 3D areas is going to be vastly more difficult and expensive.
    Last edited by werezompire; 12-08-2015 at 04:37 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    You've basically just repeated exactly what I said in the post that you disagreed with. Would it be better if I directly said "engines" rather than "libraries"? Because complete engines make it even easier than libraries.

I wouldn't call it cheating. It's using the best tool for the job. There's nothing that says that Rockstar and Square-Enix need to make their own engines. 3/4 of the SE games that they publish don't even run on their in-house engines.
    There's basically zero reason to make your own engine these days unless it's going to get heavy use at your studio, ie. Dice and Frostbite, and you can handle the financial burden of it or you intend to license it out. Thief ran on UE, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Why not? Independent developers can do it.

I'm not saying that everyone should be able to easily make the next AAA game. I'm saying the games, at their core, are easier to make. Look at all of the third-rate Android games that people write in their mom's basements.

You can make a great game without having to resort to measures that this is requiring. Bravely Default was a huge success (even though I don't like it) and was probably made with 1/20 of the budget of a Final Fantasy game.

Final Fantasy VII doesn't require the same remake that they are creating. They could have given it some upgrades and improvements and brought it to HD with new assets. Instead, they are making an entirely new game with the same characters, requiring a massive budget and team. It's foolish.
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. Homeworld Remastered went about it the right way, update the assets and call it a day. Maybe make a few improvements and fix anything that needs it gameplay wise but leave it alone otherwise.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 12-08-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    There's basically zero reason to make your own engine these days unless it's going to get heavy use at your studio, ie. Dice and Frostbite, and you can handle the financial burden of it or you intend to license it out. Thief ran on UE, for example.
    The number of poor PS3 versions of multiplat games says otherwise. Many of those were engine-related.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup. Homeworld Remastered went about it the right way, update the assets and call it a day. Maybe make a few improvements and fix anything that needs it gameplay wise but leave it alone otherwise.
    But if they did that with FFVII, everyone would realize what a crappy game it was to begin with. All you're doing is putting a lipstick on a turd (yes I'm combing rhetorical expressions, so sue me) and even less people would buy it. I think Square has a decent idea going, if they can retell the story with new and possibly improved mechanics then they have a better chance of making more money off it.

I personally prefer them updating it, I played hundreds of hours of the ATB FF7 when I was younger, an update like this makes me likely to play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    But if they did that with FFVII, everyone would realize what a crappy game it was to begin with. All you're doing is putting a lipstick on a turd (yes I'm combing rhetorical expressions, so sue me) and even less people would buy it. I think Square has a decent idea going, if they can retell the story with new and possibly improved mechanics then they have a better chance of making more money off it.

I personally prefer them updating it, I played hundreds of hours of the ATB FF7 when I was younger, an update like this makes me likely to play it.
    I don't think that it's aged well at all. In fact, far worse than most PS1 RPGs. A lot of people look at it with rose-colored glasses. I kinda liked it when I originally played it during release (I had preordered the game and still have that Software Etc. exclusive T-Shirt that is unworn) but really was letdown by the time I finished it. It kinda represented a change of opinion for me and Square Soft after that. Never felt that they recovered from that.

People are trying it on PS4 now and the impression is probably even worse as a result of the problems with the PC version, such as the poor sound quality that I mention. It makes an already dated game even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by almighty View Post
    I'm still waiting on "Electrocop 2" with the end of the first one saying "To be continued"
    Those three words made me insane as a kid when it was movies and cartoons....and that only meant having to wait a week. lol

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    The number of poor PS3 versions of multiplat games says otherwise. Many of those were engine-related.
    If a developer has source access with an engine and can't fix the problem it's on them unless it's a hardware problem that can't be fixed.

Back on topic.

Nothing is going to make this any less of a money grab, no matter what they claim or how irrational mega-fans get.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 12-09-2015 at 12:50 AM.

If a developer has source access with an engine and can't fix the problem it's on them unless it's a hardware problem that can't be fixed.
    No publisher is going to pay developers to fix an engine. These guys are usually on a budget, and engine trouble is likely the least of their worries.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    But if they did that with FFVII, everyone would realize what a crappy game it was to begin with.
    We've had this discussion on here before.
    Personally I'm in the camp that believes it it deserved the praise everyone lavished on it at the time. But to each their own.

No publisher is going to pay developers to fix an engine. These guys are usually on a budget, and engine trouble is likely the least of their worries.
    Yea. Publishers only care that it works, not how well it works.
    Last edited by Fabrizo1; 12-09-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Developers actually enhance and fix engines, all of the time. There are typically also contractual terms that require rolling code back to the owner for potential inclusion in future iterations of the engine. Certainly, Epic doesnt fix every bug for every implementation. Such was the case of Unreal and Silicon Knights, who sued Epic over losses due to bugs (lost) and was countersued over their reluctance to return code enhancements for Too Human, in addition to paying royalties. There was a big lawsuit, and in 2012 SK was ordered to recall the game and destroy derivative code that used Unreal 3.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast