Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cue the Anti-Censorship Posts - Let's Discuss Civilly

Hybrid View

Cue the Anti-Censorship Posts - Let's Discuss Civilly

This is always going to be a topic that will never have any sort of permanent resolution, but I thought we should find a more practical place to discuss it. Plus there has been a few stories lately, some hitting here first, that I thought deserved more discussion without derailing other threads.

So without further ado here are some potential recent stories to discuss...

Too Sexy for Teen - ESRB forcing alterations to Summon Night 5 cover art in North America to keep game at "Teen" rating.

SN5-47.jpg

Self Censorship - Removal (changed camera angle) of R. Mika butt slap in Street Fighter V by Capcom. Didn't want some players to feel "uncomfortale."

Fear of the West - Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 most likely not coming west due to fear of western criticism. PlayAsia.com twitter post about "SJW nonsense."

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I suspect this is how we're all going to feel when this thread comes to a climax.
    Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    I suspect this is how we're all going to feel when this thread comes to a climax.
    Spoiler: 

What the hell is that?!

Whiners and publicity-hounds will continue to feign outrage and push for censorship so they feel significant and influential without ever having to truly produce anything of their own. Companies are apparently too stupid to say "It's my work and I'll do what I want with it. Buy it or don't. Also I don't give a sh*t about your opinions, vocal minority."

It's up to the companies to bend to the will of these idiots. We can't stop them. The best you can do is learn Japanese and import.

The main problem with censorship, and why it's not largely accepted, is that it seems to be/is mostly random. It is therefor controversial by nature. And it will remain like that until there's some actual bullet proof evidence that exposure to media of violent/sexual/... nature actually has any effect whatsoever on young people.

Let's say for example that it's 100% sure that playing pantsu games as a minor leads to people becoming psychopaths or pedobears, there will be little debate anymore about whether we should allow such games in our society or not. It would probably become prohibited too to even produce that type of games anymore.

But as it is now you'll have those people who'd argue that it's better to be safe than sorry and "keep as much filth away from our children" and those who tend to be more liberal about it. And frankly, I'm thinking it's always going to be that way. I don't believe any causal relations between consumption of media and socially unacceptable behaviour will ever be found. If anything, they'll sooner run into evidence that some people are predisposed to become psychos, and that whatever they look at or play isn't going to make any difference.

So what will become censored and what won't will likely always be relative to what is socially acceptable in the contemporary age and society. As it stands now, if you want to play uncensored pantsu games, your "problem" isn't going to be solved by moving to Japan. People out there are not going to cheer for you when they see you play that type of games on public transport. Quite the opposite, most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    Whiners and publicity-hounds will continue to feign outrage and push for against censorship so they feel significant and influential without ever having to truly produce anything of their own.
    Funny, when I change just one word, the statement's about you all of a sudden.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamitsuki View Post
    But... Play-asia's response is really stupid and they sound like 15 year olds. They've every right to say it, though. Doesn't mean I can't in turn say it's dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Funny, when I change just one word, the statement's about you all of a sudden.
    You're right how one word can make a difference in how ignorant someone can sound. Had PlayAsia not said "SJW" in their tweet, and just left it at nonsense... I don't think many people would have flipped. Then again they got a huge spike in followers after the tweet...

Generally, I am against censorship, but it also depends on how it is done and what it is done for. I have a lot of thoughts on this and am not sure I will get them out correctly. I don't think that all offenses and all mediums are equal. I am also very big on personal responsibility. I think parents should ultimately be responsible for what they let their kids consume. To go along with that, if parents took responsibility and actually taught their kids about real and make believe, it would make all of this a lot easier. However, a lot of parents use video games and TV/Movies as a babysitter and don't take an active interest in what their kids do. So they "rely" on the ESRB and other rating groups/boards to police for them. I say "rely" because many don't care until they find something they deem offensive. Then it is pitchfork time.

I think people need to experience life, and don't think sheltering is a good idea. But, to go with that, it needs to be at an appropriate time. I think most games that come over don't need to be censored, but there are a few that I think should be, or allow people to make the choice. I also realize that in some cases this is very difficult or potentially expensive. As an adult consumer, I want to be able to choose what I consume. I still can't wrap my head around overt Pedobear stuff, and will never complain that it is censored.

Personally, while I come from a very conservative family, my parents explained real live vs. media to me. They didn't really talk a lot about sex, but they did talk about violence and language and stuff like that. I played violent games, watched violent and racy tvs/movies frequently. I haven't ever really had a problem distinguishing, but I did try to imitate some things like most kids. I think a lot of the problem people have with sex/sexy/racy stuff is that they are uncomfortable talking about it and they are worried their kids will imitate it.

The internet was budding about the same time I was (late childhood into teenage years), and the game has changed a bit. It is a lot easier to find adult content than when I was a kid and there is more of it available, and not all kids can distinguish. People have so much more access to so much more content. Thought train derailed here, i probably have a lot more on that but can't find the tracks again.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    It is a lot easier to find adult content than when I was a kid and there is more of it available.
    Today's youth also can't appreciate it as much. They can just type it in on whatever device they want. They'll never know how it feels to sneak around the house while their parents are out while going through everything in hopes of finding a dirty magazine or possibly a VHS tape. Likely with the Mission Impossible theme playing in their heads.

Man, the internet is super great...

Quote Originally Posted by Tubsiwub View Post
    Man, the internet is super great...
    Yeah now people change their profile pictures on social media and other sites while pretending they're helping. It's like the electronic version of prayer.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast