Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cue the Anti-Censorship Posts - Let's Discuss Civilly

The end of Spaceballs.

Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar
    I'm anti-censorship, but I'm 100% pro-criticizing things. People have every right to say/release things, but people also have every right to complain about it or critique it. (without being harassed for it, might I add)

I think if people want to say something controversial or bigoted, they need to be prepared for the backlash.

However.... I don't see how DOAX3 game is THAT controversial? It's just women in bikinis? All of the other games made it over here, and MUCH worse stuff has been released over here with no censorship. :/ But... Play-asia's response is really stupid and they sound like 15 year olds. They've every right to say it, though. Doesn't mean I can't in turn say it's dumb.

And I don't see anything remotely wrong with the Summon Night 5 box art? Is it because of a short skirt or something? What makes that any different from a chainmail bikini you see plastered on other boxes?
    Last edited by ninjamitsuki; 12-10-2015 at 03:36 AM.

I don't care about censorship if it's a decision made by the creators/localizing group without any outside nagging influence. I'm more annoyed at the companies for backing down to a vocal minority instead of telling them to go f*ck themselves and that they'll do whatever they want with their own intellectual property.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    I don't care about censorship if it's a decision made by the creators/localizing group without any outside nagging influence. I'm more annoyed at the companies for backing down to a vocal minority instead of telling them to go f*ck themselves and that they'll do whatever they want with their own intellectual property.
    It's what i would have done.

........Granted i'd be putting out JRPGs and Strategy games (If i ran a company, we'd have bizarre combination of game genres.), but still i'd tell people who complain and aren't actually reviewing it that i didn't care what they thought.

Heck, I'd probably just wait for them to get mad, and then go "Hey fans, some naysayers want us to censor our games, what do you guys think about that." and watch the fallout.

Then again, I am rather spiteful and have troll like tendencies.

That last line applies to the likes of Zoe Quinn and Anita Suckcocksian too. They would rather demand other people's work be changed to their liking. If they really wanted women represented better in gaming, they would make video games. It's ridiculous to expect a man to be able to properly convey the female experience. A man isn't a woman (at least not until recent years) and isn't going to be able to see things through the eyes of a woman.

Censorship isn't the reason DOAX3 isn't being released in the US. It simply wouldn't have sold enough to be worth the trouble, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamitsuki View Post
    But... Play-asia's response is really stupid and they sound like 15 year olds. They've every right to say it, though. Doesn't mean I can't in turn say it's dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Funny, when I change just one word, the statement's about you all of a sudden.
    You're right how one word can make a difference in how ignorant someone can sound. Had PlayAsia not said "SJW" in their tweet, and just left it at nonsense... I don't think many people would have flipped. Then again they got a huge spike in followers after the tweet...

Lol he got offended about my remark about how people act like they're helping when they're doing next to nothing so he just decided that I'm against censorship. I'm against people telling other people what they should be able to do with their own intellectual property.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    Censorship isn't the reason DOAX3 isn't being released in the US. It simply wouldn't have sold enough to be worth the trouble, is all.
    They are definitely worried about how the game would be perceived here by NA media and are cognitive of what it might do to their reputation. I don't know how localized the Asia version is, but I doubt they'd have to do much to get it ready for NA distribution, especially if it was digital only. Atlus barely altered Demon's Souls from the Asia version, when they got the rights. And while I know this isn't going to sell at DS levels, they most likely aren't buying the rights to distribute a title their parent company owns. Which means the cost can't be so outlandish, that it would offset it bringing it here.

My issue is, if it was so offensive, why was it made in the first place, I really have an issue with censorship of Japanese games, and honestly Japanese censorship of violence in US games, because who is it that has some authority to tell me or any one else that something is okay for one group but not the other. Either something is outright banned for all or for nobody.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast