Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trading Card Talk

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits

Trading Card Talk

Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    Hahahaha, yeah, I suppose a lot of people were clueless until there were more specialty shops that knew better. Of course these days we keep the packs behind the counter, booster packs are too easy to steal, and sadly too many kids/adults just can't be trusted these days. *shakes head*

Tho, I will say I was most pleased to find out my Lunar for Sega CD was one of the more rare variants. Especially since I purchased it new after the Sega CD had ceased production. Shame I never got an actual Sega CD unit tho...
    Avoiding theft I understand but, I see no reason not to let someone weigh boosters on the counter if you're watching .

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    Avoiding theft I understand but, I see no reason not to let someone weigh boosters on the counter if you're watching .
    When you have people weigh the boosters on your counter, you'll be stuck with all the less interesting boosters after a while. It's just bad for business.

Yeah, I never stole anything, just increased my odds (to near 100%) of getting some desirable extras. The compass trick to figure out when a package contains refrigerator magnets of a premium works great, BTW. I was into trading card collectibles hardcore as a kid.

Trading Card Talk

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    When you have people weigh the boosters on your counter, you'll be stuck with all the less interesting boosters after a while. It's just bad for business.
    That would only matter if everyone cared about such things.

That would only matter if everyone cared about such things.
    If people see other people weigh boosters, and are made aware of how they get more value for money weighing their purchases, they'll follow the herd like sheep.

It's not even something that exists anymore. Aside from foils all packs of big tcgs are more or less created equal (aside from card quality).
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    If people see other people weigh boosters, and are made aware of how they get more value for money weighing their purchases, they'll follow the herd like sheep.
    Which is exactly why you don't advertise what's happening . The owner of a local video game place gives me better rates for selling or trading than the employees do and will even haggle on stuff (buying or selling); it hasn't stopped other people from coming into the store and taking whatever is offered or paying full price. Disallowing it outright is a good way to lose a customer over something that may not cause any trouble, especially if you have them wait until the store clears out. Gyp is right though, it's not something that happens with something like MTG.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 04-30-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Trading Card Talk

I remember I used to examine booster packs XP foils (back in the day, don't know about now) were thicker than the average card, they also tend to form a bent shape. I felt up the packs and compared, while not always I would plenty of times get some foils, even when the boosters were behind the counter I would just ask the cashier to bring the box over so I could examine and feel up the packs and I would just move to the side while they would attend other customers XDXDXD. Unfortunately some outlets started to disallow that :/ but oh well I got some good stuff while it lasted XP

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    It's not even something that exists anymore. Aside from foils all packs of big tcgs are more or less created equal (aside from card quality).
    The problem comes from card games like YuGiOh, where there's only one Secret Rare in a box, and they weigh more due to the foiling process used. So you could weigh the packs, get the one pack that has a chance at the sought after card and then no one else even has a shot at it, and thus will not buy said packs because they know the secret are is gone. For a while people had actually cracked the mythic rare distrobution for Magic the Gathering boxes. You could open a fresh box, buy three packs and know exactly where in the box all the mythic rares were. I can't let people do that stuff, it's unfair to my players and is bad business all around. When I sell packs of cards to people, I want them to know they have the exact same chance as anyone else to pull the more rare cards. Card players are pretty well responsible for half to two thirds of my store's business. If they feel they are not being treated fairly, they buy packs elsewhere, and we lose a LOT of sales.

Well just sell the entire box sealed then. :P

That's some crazy insder info, or just Wizards being super lazy and leaving the placement set in one place for a long time.

No one cares about YGO. :P
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast