Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NISA ''shifting the system towards visual novels after the success of Danganronpa''

NISA ''shifting the system towards visual novels after the success of Danganronpa''

200k copies sold in NA+EU between the two Danganronpa games which I imagine is absolutely incredible numbers for a NISA-published title. Feels like VNs has been getting some mainstream recognition lately on both consoles and PC and we're seeing more and more of them.

Good move? Bad move? Personally, I think there are way more interesting Visual Novels for current gen consoles in Japan than RPGs, if you exclude things like SEGA, Digimon, Tales of etc. which NISA wouldn't touch anyway. I'd love to see them join Gaijinworks for some PSP RPGs though.

This doesn't necessarily meant they won't do RPGs. Just that we can expect more VNs.

Source.

Blah. One of the worst genres besides dungeon crawlers.

I'm fine with more variety. If they only do VN I'm not sure how well that would go over for them.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I liked Danganronpa, but didn't like it as much as 999. Clearly, VNs are working for Aksys and now NISA. But I really think that they simply lucked out with Danganronpa. It was a game that a lot of people wanted and it had a lot of hype. I just hope that they don't ruin it with the spinoff games.

The biggest problem with their RPGs is simply that most of them tend to suck. They put a decent effort into localization. Nothing phenomenal, but certainly not bad. I like the games that don't tend to generate much attention; the quirky RPGs and dungeon crawlers.

Ugh. I need to pick up a Vita still mainly for all the VNs coming to it. It's my favorite genre since I played the original Phoenix Wright trilogy on DS back in 2007 or 2008.

I'm happy about this! we can use more localized VN's in the west.

Nah, danganronpa is just an exception for them and not really a sign of much. NISA was just riding on the hype from that LP thread on something awful and the PSP Fan translation of the first game. I wouldn't expect any other VN they release to do as well unless they start marketing their games better. Also 999/VLR, at least the latter, was created with western audiences in mind, which might explain why it did decent in the west but failed to sell in japan.

I'm glad people like VNs but I've got absolutely no use for them. If that's what NISA is changing to then I'll just wave them goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesac68 View Post
    I'm glad people like VNs but I've got absolutely no use for them. If that's what NISA is changing to then I'll just wave them goodbye.
    They just really are not for me either. I tried to get into Danganronpa and just couldn't.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    They just really are not for me either. I tried to get into Danganronpa and just couldn't.
    The first few hours are dull.
    The middle few hours are quite intriguing.
    The last few hours are a letdown.

I'll probably move onto Virtue's Last Reward long before Danganronpa 2.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast