Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IX (Zidane and Co.) coming to PC/Mobile in 2016...!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    This would be nice to make it over

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Labyrinth
    I hadn't heard of this, I wonder why? It looks super awesome.

I swear I had heard at one point this had never been ported and whatnot because they lost the sourcecode for it?

95% of all games from 2005 and earlier have had their source code lost, as far as I can tell.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I'm not sure how useful it would be at this point.

It would be very useful, more specifically the art assets would be: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Unless the assets were higher res. than the stuff posted in the thread there would still be a fair amount of work in bringing them up to stuff. I was referring to the code itself though.

It's a moot point either way since they aren't doing it and probably wouldn't even if they had all the source material.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    95% of all games from 2005 and earlier have had their source code lost, as far as I can tell.
    That's rather depressing, even if somehow grossly exaggerated. I wish the industry would store such things better and allow more ownership/control for content creators (assuming these kinds of issues are partially or wholly the culprit . . . I can't think of many other industries where companies can and do let such things or anything comparable happen). It would make more sense if you were talking about something like silent film (mostly nonexistent due to the flammable nature of certain film stocks, no regard for older films once sound became the norm, wars destroying a lot of everything in general, and the amount of time that has passed since such things were initially released and the poor documentation of how/where such things were stored if they were stored at all . . . issues that a lot of pre-2005 games wouldn't have as factors).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 01-04-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Suppose you get a game where the source code is lost, study it the best you can and do your best to remake it. What all is lost in the process?

Sure you can recreate the graphics and assets from looking at the original material. The source code just refers to how everything comes together on the back end. Developers use that excuse a lot to not putting an older game on a newer platform with updated stuff. Laziness comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Sure you can recreate the graphics and assets from looking at the original material. The source code just refers to how everything comes together on the back end. Developers use that excuse a lot to not putting an older game on a newer platform with updated stuff. Laziness comes to mind.
    I imagine it's perceived as too much work (too expensive for how long it would take/too expensive for how many people that would have to get paid/both/various other business things that probably make little sense to the consumer) for the money estimated it would make. I can't imagine laziness being a huge factor if something seems to be financially viable without too many other issues at hand . . . there's a lot of lazy ports though, but that's not the same as having reasons to not bother.

Konami thought it was financially a good idea to release the Silent Hill HD compilation with all of it's missing aspects, so it's hard to judge how/why such calls are made or not made. Sometimes it's better to get nothing at all than a version nobody wants to play, though it's frustrating regardless when titles don't get localized or released in some manner or format that is desired.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 01-05-2016 at 02:02 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast