Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alchemy in CoH2

Alchemy in CoH2

Well, I can understand rpgamer's remark about the alchemy system now... I never got all that far in the first CoH, so I'm certainly not familiar with the alchemy system in either game. I'm currently attempting the Sharp Needles quest (yes, I barely started), and I've had a bunch of materials dropped so far in the Beginner's Brush (a little grinding is good in any RPG that allows it). Figured I'd see if I could do anything with the alchemy system (before going to gamefaqs or some other forum for details on the system from the first game, that is) before I try going on the quest itself. Usually, I dislike attempting to ask questions on gamefaqs, so here I am to ask here instead. Anyone have some little tips and/or tricks to mention to a relative newbie to the system/game?

I am not sure about CoH2 because I have not gotten home yet to download it but I know in the first game there were Alchemy Manuals that you could buy from the school store that had the recipes for certain items. I gave up on my created Alchemist early only because I made I Sprite one and she was dead more than alive so I went to the Alchemy Instructor to make things. With him, I do not think you even needed the manual, just the items. If you put the correct ones in the alchemy interface he knew the recipe and would make the items.

In addition, there were items that you could add to the synthesis to give the resulting item a special property (Light, Darkness, etc.) As for tips, there is a Japanese Wiki that is floating around that I could kind of understand in Google Translate. You might be able to look at that and see if it will help with creating items in this new game. I'm not even sure if the recipes from the first game transferred over to the new game.

Well, I've managed to more or less figure a few things out, but I'm really not enjoying the alchemy system so far. I think I understand some of it at least. You can break down 'prepared' items, so to speak, for materials to recreate said item, and add something to the original item a special effect of some sort when you re-synthesize it back together? It doesn't seem like, if you go through the Alchemy Notes, that you can just use that to create the item if you have the required materials at hand either, which is a little awkward, honestly. I'm sure I'll eventually be able to muddle through it... But yeah, I really don't blame RPGamer's previewer for commenting on the alchemy system being user-unfriendly. I hope COH3's system is easier to utilize. Or at least generally more friendly.

Alchemy comes in three kinds: Synthesis, Reinforcing/Enhancing, and Destruction.

To synthesize an item, you need:
    - a broken item
    - a certain number of a material
    - (sometimes) a mystery material

Broken items are specific to the item. That is, a bamboozled hat can only become one specific type of hat, nothing else.
    Materials come in several kinds and ranks. Cloth for example has Lint (rank 1), Yarn (rank 2), Coarse Cloth (rank 3), etc.
    You can convert materials through alchemy, 10 of rank N make 1 of rank N+1.
    Mystery materials are stuff like Silver, Gold, Niello, Platinum, etc. They're rarely needed.

Destruction of items goes the other way: you provide the whole item, the result is the broken item and the material needed to make it.
    Higher rank materials can be converted to lower rank: 1 of rank N yields 10 of rank N-1.
    Mystery materials can not be recovered through destruction of items.

Reinforcing a weapon or armor makes it stronger: "item" becomes "item+1", meaning more attack power for weapons or more defense power for armor.
    To reinforce an item, you need:
    - the whole item
    - a whetstone (for weapons) or hard stone (for armor)
    - the material needed to make the item originally

Reinforced items yield the same result as regular items upon destruction, the extra materials are lost.

Enhancing an item means adding an anti-monster or elemental property to it.
    For this you only need the whole item and the appropriate special material (e.g. blood clot or earth powder).
    Enhancements too are not recovered upon destruction of an item.

Well, that's a general outline for beginners. I'd say have fun experimenting, but it's really rather annoying if you ask me.

On the topic of alchemy, I'm not sure if this is a glitch (it seems so to me), but when you buy recipes, they don't always show up in the notes. For example, in the lance category, they seem to be off-shifted. Buying the javelin recipe did nothing, but when I bought the lance recipe, I got the javelin one. Buying an extra laundry pole recipe seems to do nothing, and the purchase of javelin is noticed in both Crostini and Bruschetta as not activating javelin's recipe. I also bought a sword recipe in the middle of nothing for my recipes, and I don't see what it added, if anything.
    -dunno001
    -CoH2? Yeah, that can Come on Here 2! ^_^

Hrmmm maybe it's just me but... sometimes when I put items forth in Alchemy and then retract them to check the recipes again the core materials disappear from my inventory... it has happened to me like 3 times, I'm still investigating it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dunno001 View Post
    On the topic of alchemy, I'm not sure if this is a glitch (it seems so to me), but when you buy recipes, they don't always show up in the notes. For example, in the lance category, they seem to be off-shifted. Buying the javelin recipe did nothing, but when I bought the lance recipe, I got the javelin one. Buying an extra laundry pole recipe seems to do nothing, and the purchase of javelin is noticed in both Crostini and Bruschetta as not activating javelin's recipe. I also bought a sword recipe in the middle of nothing for my recipes, and I don't see what it added, if anything.
    Yes, there's some kind of problem with the offset calculation certain alchemy recipes. You buy one recipe, but it unlocks something else sometimes. It's not all of them, just some. We've already noted it and are trying to figure out what the problem is to fix it. Thanks for the note, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    Hrmmm maybe it's just me but... sometimes when I put items forth in Alchemy and then retract them to check the recipes again the core materials disappear from my inventory... it has happened to me like 3 times, I'm still investigating it though.
    Check the bottom of your list. It doesn't put them back where it got them. If you re-sort the list, it will re-order everything.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Check the bottom of your list. It doesn't put them back where it got them. If you re-sort the list, it will re-order everything.
    You're right! They got relocated to the bottom of the list, sorry bout that I guess I got a little lost managing my items on the menus. :P

Quote Originally Posted by dunno001 View Post
    [..], and the purchase of javelin is noticed in both Crostini and Bruschetta as not activating javelin's recipe. I also bought a sword recipe in the middle of nothing for my recipes, and I don't see what it added, if anything.
    That's normal. The game doesn't track whether you have already bought (or discovered yourself) a recipe. It only keeps track of the shops' stock. Buying a recipe in one shop removes it from that shop only because the shop had only one of that item to begin with.

Btw, be careful with shopping sprees. Sometimes you'll need a rarer item for a quest and curse yourself for using up the last of the shops' stock earlier. I'm not saying that because I did that myself. Nope, not at all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast