Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bayonetta 2 to be released standalone (without first game disc) for $29.99!

Quote Originally Posted by EternalB View Post
    Another N.A. snub by Nintendo.... Least we got a physical though.
    Given the bullsh*t prices they're expected to pay, I'm fine with Europe getting some stuff we don't. I sure as hell wouldn't trade places with them.

Pretty much, Nintendo is sort a notably exception when it comes to what we're getting, and this is a fairly recent phenomenon really.

Most other Japanese companies consistently come up with worse LEs (if we get them at all) for heftier prices.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    360 was easier to program for than PS3. That's really the bottom line.
    And you know this from personal experience?

Are you saying that C / C++ is so radically different from one machine and another and that they are writing most of the game in inline asm?

That's what the internet world says on various sites. I'm agreeing with you that most 360 games run better than PS3. LOL today is a strange day!

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    That's what the internet world says on various sites. I'm agreeing with you that most 360 games run better than PS3. LOL today is a strange day!
    The real issue is the stupid architecture of the "Cell" processor, and the way the SPE processing elements are linked by a single bus. It makes it virtually impossible to process existing game engines efficiently, because the type of SIMD parallel-computing for which Cell is best-suited is not the typical game engines that are written for PC's with standard multi-core CPUs. In reality, both the Cell and Xenon use almost identical PPE (power processing elements), or cores, to accomplish their goals, but the PS3's CPU vector cores need programs to be completely redesigned to make the most of them. It's not that it's "harder" to program for. Just different than the standard. You could effectively write programs in the same languages for both machines. Architectures even. It's just that it's a foolish processor design for a gaming console unless you are writing an engine from the ground up.

This is why you won't see anyone use it except for Sony. All of their partners abandoned the project when it was determined that there wasn't much of a future for it. Being that they are proud of a lot of their stupid designs ( http://www.fastcompany.com/1290466/s...orystick-micro ), Cell only really served little more than to be re-purposed in Sony broadcast devices for a few years (I seem to remember seeing it go into some cameras). That's about all I've seen it used in besides the PS3.

There is a single PPE core in a Cell processor (compared to 3 that are in the 360) which divides tasks down a single bus to multiple SPE processors. In theory, each SPE is identical to program for, so it's not like old consoles where they had to write code for several different chips in a 16-bit machine. But when you are porting software from non-SIMD architectures to a SIMD one, the Cell processor makes zero sense.

I'm not necessarily debating that it's harder to make existing software work on a PS3. But I do think that it's not quite accurate to call it "harder to program for". Maybe I'm being a bit too literal in my definition but the real issue is that it wasn't very well-suited for porting existing middleware due to its design. Writing programs from the ground up? That's probably another story.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 01-15-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Sony just tries to push their own proprietary formats. If they succeed (BluRay) it does pay off for them and no one questions those "stupid designs".

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Sony just tries to push their own proprietary formats. If they succeed (BluRay) it does pay off for them and no one questions those "stupid designs".
    I know we've had this discussion before, and Gypsy makes fun of me on this issue.

I don't personally think that Blu-ray was a complete success. Yeah, it has managed to become successful enough to become the HD alternative to DVD, and overthrow HD-DVD and "win" a format war, but it's really just a stopgap before people stop buying optical film discs. I don't think that 4K Blu-ray players are going to make the same transition, and Blu-ray has just barely managed to gain enough widespread adoption over the course of the past 5 years. I, for one, still will never buy a player until I pick up a PS3. Even then, it's only going to really be for the games.

http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/D...december-2014/

I'm pretty confident that DVD will outlast Blu-ray, believe it or not. Much like CDs have continued to have a place in spite of superior audio discs like SACD and DVD-Audio. Or even HD Radio over standard FM. I actually used to have HD Radio in one of my aftermarket stereos and didn't care enough to get it in the recent one. Manufacturers have been pulling that feature out of hardware.

All of this stuff is largely being superseded by Internet-based content, and mostly inferior quality at that (due to lossy compression)

Knew this post was coming the second I saw bluray in Wiley's post. We get it, you don't like bluray and are still upset about how much you spent transitioning from VHS to DVD.

This post is not to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 01-15-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

The problem with BluRay is that is doesn't have the same kind of immediately clear advantages to average Joe as the DVD did over video tapes. Allthough the Gyps was still buying VHS tapes in 2015, and will probably continue to do so, so maybe DVD isn't that awesome after all.

It was more of an evolution (like Wii to Wii U) rather than a revolution.

But I'm not sure DVDs will outlast Blus, if only for the seizable gap in storage capacity.

I also don't own a dedicated BluRay player, btw. But I don't often buy films or series on optical media (or as downloads for that matter). Got a friend who buys them like I buy games, so I see no need to buy when I can borrow.

Look at Wiley just making stuff up right and left here.

Quote Originally Posted by JPhantom_Sentry
    I also don't own a dedicated BluRay player, btw. But I don't often buy films or series on optical media (or as downloads for that matter). Got a friend who buys them like I buy games, so I see no need to buy when I can borrow.
    I see.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast