Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GameStop to Publish Video Games?!?

GameStop to Publish Video Games?!?

GameStop has joined with Insomniac Games to publish their new 2D side-scrolling metroidvania style game called Song of the Deep.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rat.../1100-6434228/

Song of the Deep will launch digitally for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC later this spring for $14.99, and will also be released on a physical disc sold exclusively at GameStop. This is because GameStop is partnering with Insomniac to publish Song of the Deep, as well as support a full line of multimedia merchandise connected to the franchise.
    With GameStop's help, Insomniac will publish a short novel through Sterling Publisher based on Song of the Deep. The book will be told from Merryn's perspective and include deeper details on the secrets she uncovers throughout the game. Its publication will coincide with Song of the Deep's launch.
    PSN/Steam/XBL - DrgnSlayerDyne

While Gamestop is Gamestop and Gamestop is the worst, I like the idea of them being involved in game production. Gamestop loves to sell tons of junk related to game series' and other nerdy stuff, and with them directly behind a game, we'll be getting lots of junk just in case we want it. You know... just in case.

Edit: Also, they probably will be more invested in NOT screwing up orders, pre-orders, shipped items, etc.

If this helps us get more games physically than we otherwise would than it's awesome.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

GameStop helped with the exclusive physical production of Xenoblade, Electroplankton, Crush 3D, several Wii games and plenty of other games so this doesn't seem like that new of a thing to me. Still a cool idea though.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Considering their business model, it only makes sense for them to do this. The only real question is; why don't they do it more often?

I see this being something similar to Limited Run Games. Perhaps not working with already published games, but they are going to stay indie and stay western developed, though as element mentioned they have assisted in the past. I don't see them localizing any titles any time soon with their own money though. And I doubt they even want to touch games with questionable content. It will be interesting to see if they ever attempt to publish an "M" rated title. I wonder what other publishers think as they now will have to compete for shelf space with GS. GS employees are most likely going to see incentive to push titles GS publishes too, which could potentially hurt similar/smaller titles.
    PSN/Steam/XBL - DrgnSlayerDyne

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    GameStop helped with the exclusive physical production of Xenoblade, Electroplankton, Crush 3D, several Wii games and plenty of other games so this doesn't seem like that new of a thing to me. Still a cool idea though.
    And opened new copies of Xenoblade on the reprint and sold them as used, because used copies were selling for more. :/ I, for one, will not support this in anyway, because Gamestop.

Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    And opened new copies of Xenoblade on the reprint and sold them as used, because used copies were selling for more. :/ I, for one, will not support this in anyway, because Gamestop.
    But, they did get more of them made, and overall they helped bust the huuuuge markup that was going on with this game. For awhile it cost well over $100 just for a used copy, which to me is insane for a title only a couple years old.

Was them selling used copies at a huge premium a shitty thing to do? Yes, I agree that it was. But they also took the onus upon themselves to contact Nintendo and get the game reprinted as well so that they could satiate the demand they were seeing in their stores. When it was selling in store for like $30 and people kept calling over and over to get copies, it was obviously in their best interest to try and locate more. The price jack was the bitter pill, but if you look at their pricing, they've continued to decrease their asking price as demand dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

I see a number of problems with this setup of a retailer publishing video games: GameStop is basically monopolizing the whole cycle, from inception of the game to resale.

Which means they have control to a certain extent over all the different steps.

If they're funding they can interfere with development, e.g. push the dev into an episodic release of their game. Which would mean they have not one, but several exclusive releases in one go. Or they could get a say early on over which DLC will be exclusively available through their store. It'd be in their best interest to have a seizable amount of content of the game exclusive to their store, so that you would buy your PSN codes, Steam codes or XBOX Live codes through them. More importantly though, based on their own customer research they will want to increase or decrease the budget of a game depending on how viable they think a release would be at retail. Other publishers do that too of course, but they don't have the same means to push a game with retail shelf space costing them a whole lot more.

Right now it seems like GS are only publishing games where development has already been finished? But it seems like a small step for them to get involved earlier on in the process.

As for physical releases, since they're publishing, they'd have their say over what would be included in a CE for example. Seems like their plan is to sell a whole lot of merchandise as well, so why would they want to include that in a CE when they could have their store clerks talk you into buying them separately. I mean, they could even start selling physical manuals in their stores "for those fans that still enjoy the smell of a freshly printed manual". Meanwhile their sales people would tell soccer moms they kind of need the manual to be able to beat the game.

Don't see this happening anytime soon in Europe, so it's not going to affect me personally. But I don't think it's great evolution. The perk of a game getting a physical release seems a bit outweighed by all the other stuff. Seems like there are better options out there for physical releases. NoA should've just published Xenoblade themselves, and SEGA should show a bit more faith in their license and put that physical Yakuza 5 release out there.
    The real Goldar: "GVC are posers."
    http://i.imgur.com/PI2Ob5H.png

@Ele: It was nearly $200 for a brief period. Definitely soundly $150+. So yeah it did make sense for Gamestop to start high, though I definitely agree with Zanth that it was crap.

@Wiley: You bring up a lot of good points. It can easily turn into a negative. If it's just a few indies here and there that wouldn't have seen a physical release than it's pretty cool. If Gamestop starts getting their mitts involved with bigger stuff and they get more control like you are saying then yeah, that would suck. And yeah NoA should have released Xenoblade in the US by themselves, but they didn't.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast