Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XSEED may have just teased Trails in the Sky 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomSentry View Post
    Is it Lunarish or something? So far nothing has even touched Lunar for me. What makes this so great?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    It's not even close to Lunar. It's a boring series imo.
    Don't listen to Gypsy!

It has some Lunar/Grandia qualities. The series starts about an adventure, not some ridiculous chosen one gotta save the world plot. It spends a lot of time building the world and characters. The writing is superb, and the battle system isn't terrible. It is turn-based, with some qualities of Grandia/Lunar. Turn order is displayed but is manipulate-able with special turn bonuses occasionally like 10% health or magic or skill point return or guaranteed crit. Position matter to a degree, but not like back attacks and side attacks, but there are skill and spell ranges, movement ranges etc. No random battles, monsters are visible on the map.

One of the biggest problems is that it is an extremely slow burn. It takes 10-15 hours before the pace really picks up. It starts off at a very slow pace while it is introducing you to things, but once it does, it really starts to take off. My first play-through and even on repeats, I still struggle getting through the first part of the game, but have not had that problem past that point or with sequels mostly (cold steel, shares a lot thematic and structural things as FC). It has a Materia-esqe system for spells, it also has S-crafts that are similar to limit breaks.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

"writing is superb"

*dies*

Which one do I simply have to play that defines the series? I tried the earlier PSP games and flamed out.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    Don't listen to Gypsy!

It has some Lunar/Grandia qualities. The series starts about an adventure, not some ridiculous chosen one gotta save the world plot. It spends a lot of time building the world and characters. The writing is superb, and the battle system isn't terrible. It is turn-based, with some qualities of Grandia/Lunar. Turn order is displayed but is manipulate-able with special turn bonuses occasionally like 10% health or magic or skill point return or guaranteed crit. Position matter to a degree, but not like back attacks and side attacks, but there are skill and spell ranges, movement ranges etc. No random battles, monsters are visible on the map.

One of the biggest problems is that it is an extremely slow burn. It takes 10-15 hours before the pace really picks up. It starts off at a very slow pace while it is introducing you to things, but once it does, it really starts to take off. My first play-through and even on repeats, I still struggle getting through the first part of the game, but have not had that problem past that point or with sequels mostly (cold steel, shares a lot thematic and structural things as FC). It has a Materia-esqe system for spells, it also has S-crafts that are similar to limit breaks.
    I don't see the words "hilarious" and "incredible music" anywhere in this.

I tried the earlier PSP games and flamed out.
    I would still be interested in taking them off your hands, if they become too much a burden at any point.

I'm too collectard for that, probably.

I wonder if a Kickstarter, if in the hands of another company that would be willing to bother, could make enough money for a Vita port of either Trails in the Sky sequels a reality. I can't imagine putting a PSP game on a Vita cart is something money can't solve (but maybe it's too unrealistic regardless). It doesn't really matter because I can't see that happening in any circumstance whatsoever.

Are the HD remakes for Vita and PS3 too expensive for Xseed or not something Falcom wants localized to just localise those instead? I don't quite understand what is the issue here, but hopefully the series will make enough money for this to be rectified at some point in some other form that does't involve digital or PCs (though I'm not holding my breath and I guess these games take so long to translate that any planned physical release could become not very marketable by a release date).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 03-11-2016 at 09:17 PM.

It's a Falcom game. Incredible music is their default.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    I wonder if a Kickstarter, if in the hands of another company that would be willing to bother, could make enough money for a Vita port of either Trails in the Sky sequels a reality. I can't imagine putting a PSP game on a Vita cart is something money can't solve (but maybe it's too unrealistic regardless). It doesn't really matter because I can't see that happening in any circumstance whatsoever.

Are the HD remakes for Vita and PS3 too expensive for Xseed or not something Falcom wants localized to just localise those instead? I don't quite understand what is the issue here, but hopefully the series will make enough money for this to be rectified at some point in some other form that does't involve digital or PCs (though I'm not holding my breath and I guess these games take so long to translate that any planned physical release could become not very marketable by a release date).
    They already made PS3 HD re-releases and there are plans to do a Vita port in the future anyway. It's just not worth the time to XSEED to futz with it normally based on the amount of text/review required.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by werezompire View Post
    I go in assuming the music in a Falcom game will be at the very least competent. Generally it is pretty good.

"writing is superb"

*dies*

Which one do I simply have to play that defines the series? I tried the earlier PSP games and flamed out.
    You are talking about the Gagharv trilogy, A Tear of Vermillion, Song of the Ocean, and Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch. Those were localized by Bandai (before Namco). The translation on these is bad, almost google translate/babelfish bad. Bandai also changed the battle style. I will talk about those with you at some other point, there are some similarities, nods and call backs to these, but they are mostly easter eggs, but almost completely unrelated to the Trails series.

Falcom kind of messed up with the naming of this series. After a couple of the kiseki/Trails games they dropped the Legend of Heroes moniker, it is still part of the overarching Legend of Heroes series but just think of the relation like final fantasy. Trails/Kiseki is a continuous storyline/world and you do not, and probably should not need to play the Gagharv games first. Trails in the Sky FC is where you should start. PC version is the definitive version of the game over here.

Quote Originally Posted by werezompire View Post
    The soundtrack is great, it is Falcom. It is a little bit jazzy so it is not so much like the Ys games, but it suits the games very well. There are some funny parts, but I would not describe it as hilarious, however if that is what you are looking for you would absolutely love Olivier. He is a character throughout the series and is quite hilarious, but he isn't there the whole game. It isn't like a Vic localization, not saying one or the other is better, but the Trails localization is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post

XSEED can't bring over the PS3 versions because of SCEA. They are literally upscaled PSP games with no trophy support, and SCEA will not allow that. Even in the waning years of the PS3, SCEA still blocks it. The Vita Evolution ports/remakes are a little bit different scenario. They are licensed from Falcom and published by Kadokowa. They are fully voiced, which is done by Chara-Ani. Chara-Ani doesn't like to license their VAs outside of Asia. So XSEED would have to license it from all 3 companies, and Chara-Ani has already said no. If they leave out the VA, you have all the people that get pissed off about leaving off the Japanese voices, and if you want to fully dub the game, that is a lot of money on a re-release. Not to mention that XSEED doesn't have a relationship with Kadokowa, not that one couldn't be started, but...

The Kickstarter thing has been broached, and not all Japanese companies react positively to that. It doesn't show confidence in their product among other things. These games are massive text wise. All of them have over 1 million Japanese characters, to put into context I think Vic said Summon Night 5 had 800,000. SC had around 3 million, localizing that much text isn't cheap, and when you are dealing with a contiguous story/world that requires consistency, you can't just group source it either.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast