Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Persona 5 "Take your Heart" Premium Edition $89.99, Release: 2-14-2017

S . N . E . S .
    AV MULTI OUT
    lunAr

(sorry couldn't help it)

The defining RPG for me was the original Lunar for the SegaCD, then I went back to some of the other SNES stuff as lent to me by friends. I never had a SNES as a kid, just Genesis so I missed out on that stuff until about middle school which seemed to work out okay. Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger were early games I played after Lunar:TSS, but the magic of that game (really, production values on it blew away anything else of the 16bit time) always stuck with me.

And that's why I spent so much time and money collecting Working Designs goods probably :P
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Lunar 2 got me into JRPGs. It was so amazing to me. Easily my Chrono Trigger. It and Vanguard Bandits hooked me on WD hard!

I haven't played a ton of JRPGs on the SNES. Mostly PS1/2/3, PSP, DS, Sega CD, Saturn and 360 for what I've played JRPGs on. So I'm definitely not opposed to SNES era JRPGs. Another series I find overrated is Phantasy Star, those are a chore to play.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

My best friend was always playing JRPGs before I owned a console. I have no idea how/why he picked up Final Fantasy II around release, but it obviously had a strong impression on him. He owned the first game, but I don't recall him playing/liking/talking about it much. I played either Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior first at his house, but it's hard to remember because I didn't spend too much time with single player games with such a learning curve those days (though I did on my own time as soon as it was possible).

I played most SNES RPGs in their day, thanks to rentals mostly. I'm pretty fond of a lot of them, but I'm not the biggest SNES fan or anything (probably my fourth favorite console, though I haven't revisited it since the '90s for whatever reason).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 04-06-2017 at 10:38 PM.

I think chrono trigger is overrated, because all I hear is Chrono trigger is the game jrpg you need to play, the best jrpg of all time. What yo noe play CT, you noob, yo dont know noe JRPG master.

I don't think its the best game with Chrono in the title, let alone in my top 25 (its probably top 50, def top 100). I mean its good maybe I would go so far as to say great, but not greatest; to me the artstyle has worn out its welcome; its not an "anime" style I was ever too fond of but it was dragon ball, that first anime style a lot of people where introduced to, but now it feels like old school bishoujo, you know the kind when if a work wants to make a fun of a character, they show there love interest in dated 70s bishoujo style. Also the story is okay, but its not great by any stretch of the means. I mean I honestly get sit here and say chrono triggers "time travel" is any more meaningful than ff "question of identity/self" story line.

Ill be honest, chrono trigger was before my time so I came back and played for the first time as a greatest hits part of FF chronicles, maybe it was something when released that made it that much more special, but I feel like the 90s were littered with games that were overrated FF7, earthbound, chrono trigger and those that were almost criminally underrated Suikoden and BOF III/IV, even Ys and the original persona games. I honestly cant think of any game where im like the feelings for the game is just right, maybe FF IV or VI.

Suikoden was good

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Another series I find overrated is Phantasy Star, those are a chore to play.
    There's no limit in my level of agreement with this statement. Even as a Sega fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Best1989 View Post
    There's no limit in my level of agreement with this statement. Even as a Sega fanboy.
    Yeah. Apparently it's what some people want in a JRPG but that level of exploration and talking to random NPCs to progress is just not enjoyable to me. Even with a guide it's blah. Dragon Quest is kind of similar though and I've finished a few of those.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

PS was always a series I wanted to eventually plow through, but the dated mechanics and that shrill Genesis sound always make me second guess.

It was nice to experience stuff like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger as something I only could discuss with a few people. I don't really talk to anyone about games outside of here and with my oldest friend that I've known for almost 21 years, so nothing is really "ruined" for me based on reputation/hype/expectations based on other peoples' opinions these days either.

Even when Final Fantasy VII came out and had crossover appeal that interested people that wouldn't play a JRPG otherwise, it wasn't generally influencing people to play video games that didn't already. Video games weren't very socially acceptable as an interest at that time unless you were a child, though that obviously changed with stuff like Halo and Grand Theft Auto 3 (and Goldeneye's release around the time of FFVII to some extent was also beginning to make certain types of games popular with significant amounts of people that probably weren't negatively stereotyped as nerds).

At least that's how it was in a mid-sized Midwestern city back then.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast