Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Persona 5 "Take your Heart" Premium Edition $89.99, Release: 2-14-2017

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Heh, I'm not sure if you're talking about Chrono Trigger or FF7 here.

I still think Chrono Trigger holds up well personally, for the same reasons you mentioned above. FF7 has decent gameplay and good music, but the story is a bit out there due to the kind of lackluster translation I think. Story is a bit convoluted as well in spots but you can work through that.
    FF7! Chrono Trigger and most other SNES style games are fairly timeless. 7th Saga though. Ouch. Hard game even back then.

I like FFVII for a lot of the weird jankyness and experimentation due to the new hardware/technology at the time. I'm also a huge sucker for fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds.

Yeah, something like Resident Evil has probably aged a bit better, but I find the even less traditional (and not influential enough to be seen in other games) elements of FFVII to be more interesting in certain ways. FFVII was never REALLY about the story for me. I was always more into the gameplay, presentation, and navigating and experiencing the world and atmosphere they created.

I'll take Chrono Trigger over FF7 any day. I agree Chrono is a big overrated, but FF7 is one of the most overrated games ever, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    I'll take Chrono Trigger over FF7 any day. I agree Chrono is a big overrated, but FF7 is one of the most overrated games ever, imo.
    Chrono Trigger is a bit overrated compared to what? Do you have issues with the game that you feel it should be criticized for? I'm just curious because I don't believe I've heard anyone's specific take on this viewpoint,

I can see how people could find the popularity of this game to be a bit overwhelming/annoying, but I can't really take issue with this due to generally agreeing with what is liked about the game. There's also people who can't stand it when others like something they also like...for some reason (and switch to being contrarian to feel special for having an unpopular opinion, lacking in personality and wanting to stand out, I guess).

I'm too biased because the game practically defined my childhood, so it would be interesting to hear other views on it.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 04-06-2017 at 08:40 PM.

All I can think is none of you are on Tempest's level.
    I've yet to play any of them so I don't say much. I do think FF7 is Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy over hyped over the years. Even 15 years ago it was "the best".
    Nobody will tell me how to live.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    Chrono Trigger is a bit overrated compared to what? Do you have issues with the game that you feel it should be criticized for? I'm just curious because I don't believe I've heard anyone's specific take on this viewpoint,

I can see how people could find the popularity of this game to be a bit overwhelming/annoying, but I can't really take issue with this due to generally agreeing with what is liked about the game. There's also people who can't stand it when others like something they also like...for some reason (and switch to being contrarian to feel special for having an unpopular opinion, lacking in personality and wanting to stand out, I guess).

I'm too biased because the game practically defined my childhood, so it would be interesting to hear other views on it.
    I never tried it until I was older. It seems like a totally fine jrpg, but it's not a personal favourite for me.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

I'm rather (purposely) oblivious to hype. I don't quite understand the appeal of knowing/stating how much hype something has. I guess I think of it as one of those things that seems important to people who like social media and talk like the internet. I understand the importance of hype for business, but it isn't something I focus on much as a consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post

That was supposed to say a "bit overrated." It was a very good game, but it def. wasn't "ZOMG THE BESTEST RPG EXCEPT FOR FF7 WHICH IS THE BESTESTER EVAR," which seems to be most people's opinion of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I never tried it until I was older. It seems like a totally fine jrpg, but it's not a personal favourite for me.
    Did you find any SNES JRPG to be "your Chrono Trigger," or are/were you not THAT into any SNES JRPG/SNES RPGs in general?

FFVII really popularized the genre for the Western console market. Everything before that seemed like a cult hit from word of mouth at best due to the failure or lack of advertising/promotion. Before I was more into music, film, and other interests, all of my friends were people who played JRPGs and all of them played and liked Chrono Trigger...and we were all weirdo outcasts as a result of such things being way too niche for the nerdiest of nerds at school (who probably all made fun of us).

I actually bought Chrono Trigger based on the artwork because I was into anime at the time, though it was pretty difficult to find much anime then outside of lucking into a first-run syndicated show on a regional network by flipping channels at some odd hour.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 04-06-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII were gateway RPGs for many at the time of their release, so the extent of their popularity makes sense to me. People probably play other JRPGs first on average these days, but sooner or later want to find out about these old games that people still hold in high regard and the cycle continues.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast