Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMA: Confessions of a (Former) Goodwill Employee

When do items normally get brought out and put up for sale? As soon as they're priced, or is there a "dump time" for it all?

Oldest donations are first. As sometimes there is way too much so we go by date. Sometimes new stuff is brought out right away, but not too often.

Interesting topic, actually. I never knew about the Target / Other Big Store donations before and the 30 minute rule is kinda entertaining. I assume you cooould do some shady, sneaky hiding of merchandise until you're ready to purchase it yourself.

That has been addressed and it's grounds for termination. People have been fired for that behavior. It's all about giving the customers a fair shot at an item

30min is a fair shot?

It's quite easy to spot where many items come from. I've seen other stores items as well. I picked up Disney Infinity from a GW for $10 and the next week they had jacked the rest up to $25. lol
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

I figured. The worst I did at Stop and Shop, the grocery store where I used to work during high school, was eat fruit in the produce back room (which technically wasn't allowed). We threw out so much fruit / vegetables per day it was insane... so I would just eat whatever I wanted from the "waste" before tossing it.

At Stop and Shop, if an apple is slightly bruised it's grounds for tossing it out. A slightly browning Pomegranate? Throw it out. Found a spider in the banana box? ...actually, that's a bit scary. Never mind. Black widows are scary.

Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    30min is a fair shot?

It's quite easy to spot where many items come from. I've seen other stores items as well. I picked up Disney Infinity from a GW for $10 and the next week they had jacked the rest up to $25. lol
    The Goodwill near my parent's house has trash items in the "display case" for extraordinary prices. PS3 sports games? Full price. It's a crapshoot.

30min may seem like a short people of time, but I've seen SO MANY items I wanted get sold within a couple minutes before going on lunch or punching out for the day that it stung LOL. Super Smash Bros N64 cart, GBA SP, Arcade sticks, etc.

Even with the crappy GoodWill that I have available to me, there are always 3-4 scalpers staring at the "DVD" section every time I go in. They'll buy everything and anything video game related.

Anything. One guy was grabbing Toy Story learning games for the PC... just bought the bunch of them. Worthless trash (the games). The 30 minute rule is plenty of time for these guys.

Assuming it's against their practices to have someone buy it for you. Something like that would be hard to catch though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubsiwub View Post
    Even with the crappy GoodWill that I have available to me, there are always 3-4 scalpers staring at the "DVD" section every time I go in. They'll buy everything and anything video game related.

Anything. One guy was grabbing Toy Story learning games for the PC... just bought the bunch of them. Worthless trash (the games). The 30 minute rule is plenty of time for these guys.
    Yeah **** people like that. Reminds me of a guy in a thrift store recently scanning the bar code on cds and paperbacks. Like...they are 50 cents bro.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Yeah we've had people with the handheld scanner/PDA device scanning CDs and some books (which some books are worth reselling). They have it linked to an online service like Amazon that shows you the lowest used price it's going for online, and since the majority of books are the same price, it's easy to determine profit.

You start to see the same people and the video game nerds that buy up anything and all video game related.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast