Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 82

Thread: Popful Mail and Lunar II get de-WD'd

  1. #51
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_iwakura View Post
    While I'm a fan of the originals, I still find this fascinating, especially the new font:
    (The shade thrown is not my own.)

    From RHDN:
    There is too much cray-cray in the world.

    Fortunately, every one of these guys, there's probably 10 or 100 people who think like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLa_wjhpY4

  2. #52
    Complaints about dialogue dating Lunar are a bit obtuse since Lunar itself dates Lunar. It's a 16-bit isometric RPG with random battles. These games couldn't be more 90s if they wore JanSport backpacks.

    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    It was required by SEGA at the time. I clearly remember a long, detailed conversation about boobs and nipples on Plantella with our female account rep.
    How does a conversation like that go? "Those nipples have to go." "But it's a plant." "But it has nipples!" "But it's a PLANT!"

  3. #53
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Complaints about dialogue dating Lunar are a bit obtuse since Lunar itself dates Lunar. It's a 16-bit isometric RPG with random battles. These games couldn't be more 90s if they wore JanSport backpacks.


    How does a conversation like that go? "Those nipples have to go." "But it's a plant." "But it has nipples!" "But it's a PLANT!"
    Oh, no, it was MUCH more involved than that. How much areola is okay? No nipple required? How about non-erect nipples? Alternate color isn't enough? That kind of stuff...it was a VERY involved anatomy and general biology ("but it's a PLANT!") discussion.

  4. #54
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Oh, no, it was MUCH more involved than that. How much areola is okay? No nipple required? How about non-erect nipples? Alternate color isn't enough? That kind of stuff...it was a VERY involved anatomy and general biology ("but it's a PLANT!") discussion.
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

  5. #55
    Senior Member Best1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Interstellar Funk Space Station
    Posts
    3,025
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. :P
    I would have died.

  6. #56
    Senior Member kleev_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    500
    NOW it makes sense that WD would remove it. Of course, it was a requirement.
    They wanted to make the game more awesome with the dialogue, but someone else was pushing against sexy-graphics.
    This also reminds me of Lunar Legend on GBA covering up Dark Althena.

  7. #57
    That era was weird. A lot of the censorship seemed to be random and inconsistent. Super Castlevania IV covered up the nude statues in the background but Medusa, one of the early bosses, was straight up naked. Some games got blood edited out while Mortal Kombat II and Doom got the thumbs up. Did the conversation ever veer into a discussion about other games? I know that the ESRB doesn't like that but back in the day it seems like all this stuff was less codified.

    Much later game but I remember Rayearth was pretty insane and got away with a ton. "That's a lot of condoms!" I mean, WTF?!
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 01-30-2017 at 09:20 PM.

  8. #58
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    That era was weird. A lot of the censorship seemed to be random and inconsistent. Super Castlevania IV covered up the nude statues in the background but Medusa, one of the early bosses, was straight up naked. Some games got blood edited out while Mortal Kombat II and Doom got the thumbs up. Did the conversation ever veer into a discussion about other games? I know that the ESRB doesn't like that but back in the day it seems like all this stuff was less codified.

    Much later game but I remember Rayearth was pretty insane and got away with a ton. "That's a lot of condoms!" I mean, WTF?!
    They're not so much worried about text double entendres or naughtiness, it's always been more the graphics and audio that drew the attention. Pre-ESRB, it was the wild-wild west and standards ebbed and flowed. I mean, we were able to have people burning at the stake (who talked to you!) in the Turbo version of Exile, while the SEGA version cut that completely. Two sets of standards, essentially the same game.

  9. #59
    Senior Member DinoDerek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post

    Much later game but I remember Rayearth was pretty insane and got away with a ton. "That's a lot of condoms!" I mean, WTF?!
    Never thought of that, but I suppose if you said that quote was in a game involving a few young school girls it could have been perceived the wrong way

  10. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar14 View Post
    Virtually all of those changes are for the better, except for those nudity edits. WTF, there was no benefit from the boob edits.
    Personally, I think some of them are fairly dubious(Changes to the point where some characters seem totally different than intended. As you can totally embellish and punch it up without doing so.).
    I wouldn't go back and change it though. And it's no where near the same league as say Tales of Hearts R (shudder), which is the poster child for taking localization interpretation too far.

    I dont' think all of WD's translations were quite so punched up and full of pop culture jokes. At least not the later ones I can remember more (Lunar aside).
    Off the top of my head, I can't recall anything dubious from Arc The Lad for example. To the contrary, the name changes for example flow and sound so much more natural compared to say the translations of the names in the Anime by ADV. Which are cringe worthy. Toshu, Gorgon, Kukulu (WAT), Chongala.
    That also just reminds me of how strong that adaptation started out and how badly it felt apart in the 2nd half. Worth watching just the first half and then just pretending the rest doesnt' exist. Last I played ATL 1&2, everything felt pretty damn natural and made sense. And consistently so.

    I never actually played the SCD version of Lunar 2, was the PSX localization done from scratch?
    Last edited by MrBonkers; 01-31-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •