Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Popful Mail and Lunar II get de-WD'd

Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Personally, I think some of them are fairly dubious(Changes to the point where some characters seem totally different than intended. As you can totally embellish and punch it up without doing so.).
    I wouldn't go back and change it though. And it's no where near the same league as say Tales of Hearts R (shudder), which is the poster child for taking localization interpretation too far.

I dont' think all of WD's translations were quite so punched up and full of pop culture jokes. At least not the later ones I can remember more (Lunar aside).
    Off the top of my head, I can't recall anything dubious from Arc The Lad for example. To the contrary, the name changes for example flow and sound so much more natural compared to say the translations of the names in the Anime by ADV. Which are cringe worthy. Toshu, Gorgon, Kukulu (WAT), Chongala.
    That also just reminds me of how strong that adaptation started out and how badly it felt apart in the 2nd half. Worth watching just the first half and then just pretending the rest doesnt' exist. Last I played ATL 1&2, everything felt pretty damn natural and made sense. And consistently so.

I never actually played the SCD version of Lunar 2, was the PSX localization done from scratch?
    My localization philosophy has been evolving over the last 25 years! You have to remember, when I started, there were no real guidelines - you had pretty much direct translations, or...nothing. Localizing content the way I did it was pretty revolutionary, and while it was over-the-top initially (again, nothing to use as a guide in the beginning), it's evolved over time. That said, almost everyone else doing Jrpgs headed my direction to varying degrees once I laid it all down and we started releasing games localized in a very different way from what was out back then. The rep for Game Arts said it best one of the times he was visiting. He said, "For such a small company, you cast a long shadow."

LUNAR PSX translations were based on the SEGA CD version to a point. LUNAR 2 was supposed to be Zach writing it, but I ended up re-writing quite a bit of what he did, because he had just broken up with one of the other employees at WD and wrote the female characters (most notably Jessica) like total bitches and sex objects, which was wildly inappropriate. Then I had to finish what was left (while recording in the studio, too), because when the text was supposed to be done, he wasn't even close, making excuses about computer crashes, etc that were total BS. It's also the reason Nall is talking about stuff that isn't there in the PSX version of LUNAR 2 in the cave. That was copied verbatim from the SEGA CD version by Zach and missed in the rush to rewrite/finish the text by me. It was really a terrible last 1/4 of that project.

Personally, I think some of them are fairly dubious(Changes to the point where some characters seem totally different than intended. As you can totally embellish and punch it up without doing so.).
    I wouldn't go back and change it though. And it's no where near the same league as say Tales of Hearts R (shudder), which is the poster child for taking localization interpretation too far.

I dont' think all of WD's translations were quite so punched up and full of pop culture jokes. At least not the later ones I can remember more (Lunar aside).
    Off the top of my head, I can't recall anything dubious from Arc The Lad for example. To the contrary, the name changes for example flow and sound so much more natural compared to say the translations of the names in the Anime by ADV. Which are cringe worthy. Toshu, Gorgon, Kukulu (WAT), Chongala.
    That also just reminds me of how strong that adaptation started out and how badly it felt apart in the 2nd half. Worth watching just the first half and then just pretending the rest doesnt' exist. Last I played ATL 1&2, everything felt pretty damn natural and made sense. And consistently so.

I never actually played the SCD version of Lunar 2, was the PSX localization done from scratch?
    Yeah Arc 1-2 are pretty much great. Nothing Vic did detracts from the games that I can remember.

Also I don't know how you feel about replaying old JRPGs at this point but the SCD version of Lunar 2 is quite good, I recommend it.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    LUNAR PSX translations were based on the SEGA CD version to a point. LUNAR 2 was supposed to be Zach writing it, but I ended up re-writing quite a bit of what he did, because he had just broken up with one of the other employees at WD and wrote the female characters (most notably Jessica) like total bitches and sex objects, which was wildly inappropriate. Then I had to finish what was left (while recording in the studio, too), because when the text was supposed to be done, he wasn't even close, making excuses about computer crashes, etc that were total BS. It's also the reason Nall is talking about stuff that isn't there in the PSX version of LUNAR 2 in the cave. That was copied verbatim from the SEGA CD version by Zach and missed in the rush to rewrite/finish the text by me. It was really a terrible last 1/4 of that project.
    I have heard some pretty crazy stuff about Zach from other folks over the years, sounds like he started out strong with you guys but started having some issues later. I specifically remember about there being a whole issue with actually having to delay certain games from release because the guides he was writing weren't ready yet.
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I have heard some pretty crazy stuff about Zach from other folks over the years, sounds like he started out strong with you guys but started having some issues later. I specifically remember about there being a whole issue with actually having to delay certain games from release because the guides he was writing weren't ready yet.
    That seems like an odd decision to make unless guide sales were very significant.

I think the only WD translation I disliked was Rayearth, but mostly because... the changes caused the plot twist at the end to make no sense.... while the Anime English translation made sense, and the villains were more interesting.

Sounds like Exile WP is happening next. That one is actually sorely needed.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I will finally play that Japanese copy that I own because I'm too cheap to buy the broken English version.

I mean, the domestic version's price is ludicrous. I keep trying to get Vic to sell one to me but he insists that he doesn't have any. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Yeah! Dude released it just the other day. I may burn a copy myself and start messing around.
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

That's for turbo right?
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I will finally play that Japanese copy that I own because I'm too cheap to buy the broken English version.

I mean, the domestic version's price is ludicrous. I keep trying to get Vic to sell one to me but he insists that he doesn't have any. ;P
    I bought a sealed one for like $20 when I was in college. That and Cosmic Fantasy 2. I never got a Turbo Grafx (I will one day) so I still haven't opened them. I figured I'd grab a used copy so I could keep them sealed but seeing what they go for used I'll probably just open them.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast