Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 91

Thread: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Releasing stateside, 2018) PS4/3DS

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member storino03's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lake Michigan
    Posts
    8,253

    Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Releasing stateside, 2018) PS4/3DS

    http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2017/6511.html

    Stateside Nintendo Switch port may happen after.

    Last edited by storino03; 07-28-2017 at 05:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kleev_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    486
    Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell yes!!!
    I saw this earlier today. So glad to hear it! But I haven't had time to check details.
    Hoping for both PS4 / 3DS versions

  3. #3
    Senior Member zanth1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Mandan, ND
    Posts
    2,015
    So glad it is coming here, always worried with DQ games. Can't wait! Wish they'd put the effort into worldwide release for DQ like they do Final Fantasy.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kleev_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    So glad it is coming here, always worried with DQ games. Can't wait! Wish they'd put the effort into worldwide release for DQ like they do Final Fantasy.
    This is considered a bad wish in my mind now. See... I'm glad and all too, but for Final Fantasy to be this popular, it had to become... EXTREMELY dumb.
    Everything starting with FF7 has been dumb and impure.
    FF was never going to become this worldwide thing if it had remained with 1 to 6, which is where the purity is.
    If it does good business, then great, but I have personally about had it with "USA sales were poor for this great Japanese game".
    Dragon Quest has remained pure since its beginning, is it a coincidence that it still struggles in the west?
    That's because for DQ to prosper here, it has to become either:

    A) A dumb as hell series like FF

    B) An FPS game like Metroid Prime

    C) Like Zelda, it would have to kill itself and get rid of everything that makes a Dragon Quest game to become like Skyrim or The Witcher to appeal.
    Bonus sales for the ability to climb anything and dumb unfunny jokes all over the game that people will meme about to death.

    I choose option D): Don't come out in the west anymore. Besides, they have to do so much work translating all that text to that many languages! And it is such top notch work too... a tragedy.
    Last edited by kleev_55; 07-29-2017 at 07:50 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    This is considered a bad wish in my mind now. See... I'm glad and all too, but for Final Fantasy to be this popular, it had to become... EXTREMELY dumb.
    Everything starting with FF7 has been dumb and impure.
    FF was never going to become this worldwide thing if it had remained with 1 to 6, which is where the purity is.
    If it does good business, then great, but I have personally about had it with "USA sales were poor for this great Japanese game".
    Dragon Quest has remained pure since its beginning, is it a coincidence that it still struggles in the west?
    That's because for DQ to prosper here, it has to become either:

    A) A dumb as hell series like FF

    B) An FPS game like Metroid Prime

    C) Like Zelda, it would have to kill itself and get rid of everything that makes a Dragon Quest game to become like Skyrim or The Witcher to appeal.
    Bonus sales for the ability to climb anything and dumb unfunny jokes all over the game that people will meme about to death.

    I choose option D): Don't come out in the west anymore. Besides, they have to do so much work translating all that text to that many languages! And it is such top notch work too... a tragedy.
    I presume you're referring to them because they're both popular and not making a comparison? Witcher 3 is the only open world game in the series and while I haven't played it it's still presumably very different than Skyrim in spite of sharing the sandbox aspect.

  6. #6
    Senior Member zanth1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Mandan, ND
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    This is considered a bad wish in my mind now. See... I'm glad and all too, but for Final Fantasy to be this popular, it had to become... EXTREMELY dumb.
    Everything starting with FF7 has been dumb and impure.
    FF was never going to become this worldwide thing if it had remained with 1 to 6, which is where the purity is.
    If it does good business, then great, but I have personally about had it with "USA sales were poor for this great Japanese game".
    Dragon Quest has remained pure since its beginning, is it a coincidence that it still struggles in the west?
    That's because for DQ to prosper here, it has to become either:

    A) A dumb as hell series like FF

    B) An FPS game like Metroid Prime

    C) Like Zelda, it would have to kill itself and get rid of everything that makes a Dragon Quest game to become like Skyrim or The Witcher to appeal.
    Bonus sales for the ability to climb anything and dumb unfunny jokes all over the game that people will meme about to death.

    I choose option D): Don't come out in the west anymore. Besides, they have to do so much work translating all that text to that many languages! And it is such top notch work too... a tragedy.
    Why the hell would you wish it to not come out at all anymore? That's just stupid. I disagree with everyu one of your points.

    A) Final Fantasy is not a dumb series. It had some bad games, yes, but XV was good, XIV is phenominal.

    B) What does Metroid have to do with DQ in any way?

    C) Zelda has had a single game that was different, and tbh, quite fun. I also really liked Twilight Princess, which last I checked, was still very Zelda, and sold quite well. Well enough to warrant an HD Remake on the Wii U.

    D) That's just stupid, especially if you like the game series.

  7. #7
    Senior Member kleev_55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    Why the hell would you wish it to not come out at all anymore? That's just stupid.
    Because Square Enix wants DQ to be as popular as FF. If thats what they want, I'd stop it at all cost.
    I want Lunar games to be made, but when I think of this type of big company thought process for making money even if it means selling your values, I'm happy Lunar didn't become that type of globally mainstream series.
    If all they wanted was give the few DQ fans their game and not attempt to appeal to more than the core, then I'd be happy, and I'd want it to keep coming out.
    Dragon Quest Builders and Heroes were great attempts though, in that they explore new genres, but still keep the Dragon Quest spirit as alive as ever. That... still didn't work. If something as great as the DS DQ games and DQ Builders doesn't work, all hope is lost outside Japan.

    Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    A) Final Fantasy is not a dumb series. It had some bad games, yes, but XV was good
    HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAHAH

    Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    XIV is phenominal.
    This I cannot argue, it looks good to me! But I can't play it. I dont have a thing for online games at least at this moment.
    I would be willing to do it if every other FF released around it was good.

    Quote Originally Posted by zanth1979 View Post
    Zelda has had a single game that was different, and tbh, quite fun. I also really liked Twilight Princess, which last I checked, was still very Zelda, and sold quite well. Well enough to warrant an HD Remake on the Wii U.
    Wind Waker, which is one of the biggest trash bags on earth is liked by many and got an HD remake too, so, getting an HD remake alone is not a meaningful example that a game is good. Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 haven't gotten it LOL.
    Twilight Princess was a lot better, still not very Zelda, but better. Majora's Mask is an exception to the rule in which it's the least Zelda game it could possibly be, yet its content was really good.
    Last edited by kleev_55; 07-30-2017 at 09:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    PS4 version looks nicer, but I can cheat in the 3DS version...
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  9. #9
    Senior Member banditwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    GW Villian HQ litterbox
    Posts
    11,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    PS4 version looks nicer, but I can cheat in the 3DS version...
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

  10. #10
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,308
    It's a real pickle.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •