Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Releasing stateside, 2018) PS4/3DS

kleev just being tempesty.

Don't judge me, but the only DQ game I have played is Dragon Warrior Monsters...

Quote Originally Posted by Best1989 View Post
    kleev just being tempesty.

Don't judge me, but the only DQ game I have played is Dragon Warrior Monsters...
    You aren't REALLY missing much. I've played through a few of them. Super grindy JRPGs (hence my desire to cheat) that are light on character interaction and story, while heavy on puzzles and such. I have enjoyed the ones I have played but certainly not for everyone.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubsiwub View Post
    "Don't release it in the west anymore" ? Seriously?

I really like Dragon Quest and I want it, don't say that.
    Allow the series to die in the west... And release it from its pain!
    I dont like Dragon Quest, I LOVE it.
    Its my favorite series thats still active.
    And thats exactly why I want it to die in the west, so that it can stay pure, just the way we want the series to be. It is that type of precious thing that not just anyone can get into. Unlike FF

But if that happens it wouldn't be available in English, and would be enjoyed by less people. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    But if that happens it wouldn't be available in English, and would be enjoyed by less people. Lol.
    Because DQ 4, 5 and 6 were enjoyed by a hell lotta people in the west. Lol. (See DS sales)
    Those were the best games that Dragon Quest will probably ever be, and I'm almost 100% sure that XI won't be equal or better than those, judging by how 7, 8 and 9 also weren't.

The problem is clear: Game companies listen to its fans, and will do anything to appeal.
    This means that if the masses wanted DQ, it will be reshaped into something the hardcore fans don't like, just because the masses want it.
    (DQ8 has all those graphics and vast lands, but the true creative juice of the story is below 4, 5, 6 and to some extent 7)

Unless I dunno, 4, 5 and 6 were remade with the most advanced 3D graphics EVER, it will never get much attention in the rest of the world, but at that point, it will only get attention because of how it looks, not for what it is.
    That refined taste is just not found globally, but in a small group. I'd rather learn the language they speak where the game came from, and see the series evolve in a strong way than trying to appeal the masses of the world, which like I said, could end up ruining it.

This is all in response to the thought of making DQ as popular as FF, which DQ devs at Square Enix have also expressed interest in doing!
    I can have the western releases, but I'd rather they keep the series purity even if it only remains popular in its country of origin. Go back to 2D if that makes it easier to tell better, creative stories with varied worlds and time generations.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Better graphics by themselves are never the problem, get your head out of your arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    Better graphics by themselves are never the problem, get your head out of your arse.
    I don't blame you at all for thinking that, it SHOULDN'T be the problem, BUT someone still needs gaming education :]
    And this will come from Dragon Quest ITSELF:

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5841-dra...-playstation-4

Particularly, read the part where it says "the original DQIII had rather few people in castles and towns. It was suitable for 2D maps at that time, but if we were to put that on 3D maps as-is, there’s only a sparse amount of people so it feels lonely."

Because of this, story telling gets affected too, and now they'd be limited to how much they can create because it takes a lot more effort to create 3D.

There are a lot of things like these that change once a game is 3D, and this goes as far as affecting the music too for a lot of developers, somehow. Often, developers think a realistic looking game needs realistic ambience, which defeats the purpose of catchy active melodies.
    While that miraculously has never affected any game in the Dragon Quest series, it did Zelda.

That's nice, you go ahead and keep playing 2D games and other people will enjoy modern gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    That refined taste is just not found globally, but in a small group.
    Only my taste matters and is refined.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    If developers and publishers can't properly budget it in that's their own fault.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    That's nice, you go ahead and keep playing 2D games and other people will enjoy modern gaming.

Only my taste matters and is refined.
    Nothing wrong with a well done 2D game in my book. Blaming graphics for a developer unable to handle transitioning to 3D and doing it anyway is dumb.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 07-29-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Sigh, this thread took a crappy turn*. Let's just be happy about DQXI.

*And I mean, I definitely contributed.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 07-29-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast