Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Releasing stateside, 2018) PS4/3DS

Reminds me of the original golden sun on GBA.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

I beat the first Golden Sun, but never finished Lost Age. I stopped after reaching the ice continent/dungeon.

Ok guys Im kind of pissed.
    Look at this quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    I am also hoping to GAWD that the 3DS versions of 1 and 2 have good pixels.
    And now look at this:
    http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/dr...-07-17_003.jpg

What in the living hell is this? This looks really really strange.

https://gematsu.com/2017/08/dragon-q...t-ps4-gameplay

Dragon Quest 3 seems fine, as do the PS4 versions which I mainly want, but OH MY GOD why is this even a thing????
    Dragon Quest 8 messed up all the dialogue fonts on 3DS, and I complained about this until the end of time too.

Nice. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of HappyConsole, but that video wasn't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    And now look at this:
    http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/dr...-07-17_003.jpg

What in the living hell is this? This looks really really strange.

https://gematsu.com/2017/08/dragon-q...t-ps4-gameplay
    Well I watched that Dragon Quest 1 video. I suppose I can live with that new visual style, I don't like it though. The gameplay though is terrible. Those exclamation marks on NPCs... I assume you no longer need to face a NPC to hit a talk button, but the exclamation mark just seems to be there for the mentally retarded. The monster encounter rate is far to low, I assume money and experience has been revalued to remove grinding entirely, making the game about an hour long. The game starting out with you pre-equipped and simply 1-hit killing slimes removes the instructional purpose of starting you with nothing. This seems to be made for babies, and I'm angry it exists...

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    If grinding and hunting for NPCs were the only things keeping the average game playtime up it was a piece of garbage to begin with.

NPC whackamole, a JRPG staple. It's an adventure.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar14 View Post
    Well I watched that Dragon Quest 1 video. I suppose I can live with that new visual style, I don't like it though. The gameplay though is terrible. Those exclamation marks on NPCs... I assume you no longer need to face a NPC to hit a talk button, but the exclamation mark just seems to be there for the mentally retarded. The monster encounter rate is far to low, I assume money and experience has been revalued to remove grinding entirely, making the game about an hour long. The game starting out with you pre-equipped and simply 1-hit killing slimes removes the instructional purpose of starting you with nothing. This seems to be made for babies, and I'm angry it exists...
    That video is the PS4 version, not 3DS.
    The gameplay is excellent in that you do not need to hunt for ingredients, take quests from NPCs or wait 20 hours of a boring game until it "opens up".
    jk

The whole problem comes from lazyness from Square Enix, who obviously puts enough care into their games to cash grab and not enough to quality brag.
    For example the exclamation marks are part of a convenient system in Smartphones that like you said, allows you to talk without facing a character, but more importantly, it shows you whenever there's something to interact with, like secrets.
    The lazy part is: It should be removed from NPCs for the console versions because sometimes you'd end up talking to someone you dont want to cause they're next to something else. Since you're using a controller now, that's not a necessary feature.

HOWEVER... another part of the problem is retarded gamers. (Yes I said it, eat me now.)
    It is just as you said, "This seems to be made for babies". You would be surprised what level of retards live on this planet now.
    Give someone a fine game like Lunar, and they will get stuck with low HP and MP in a cave not realizing they have the dragon's wing item that lets you exit a dungeon. This is a thing that happened. Give Dragon Warrior 7 PS1 to a modern gamer and they will NEVER EVER find a battle.

How is low encounter rate a problem??? If it was low, that would be great. But it does not have such low encounter rate as you might think if it keeps the smartphones difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    If grinding and hunting for NPCs were the only things keeping the average game playtime up it was a piece of garbage to begin with.
    While it is true that a game that forces you to hunt for average NPCs and average grinding does make a piece of garbage game, Dragon Quest 1 really rewards me with its fine quality of NPCs. I want to talk to all of them. And I want to do it with the nice music in towns. It's truly a joy for me especially when you consider this is like... the first ever JRPG? The NPCs feel more like iconic figures than just randomly put together stuff.
    The grinding is often hated in DQ1 for relying so much on it, but for such an early game, I find beauty in a lot of battles in this game, they are tight, and each new enemy does something unique that might make you do things differently at least until a certain point when the game just becomes about attacking mindlessly towards the end, which sucks.
    Most average JRPGs tend to be more like that latter part.
    Last edited by kleev_55; 08-10-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Yeah it's pretty tough to go back to super old and grindy ones. Cosmic Fantasy 2 is particularly gnarly.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast