Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Come on Gaijinworks, where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    whether something is unique or new, doesn't necessarily mean its mainstream. Ie no matter how popular lunar was, it was always at best in the suikoden and breath of fire group, it was never a bonafide blockbuster like FF in the West and DW in the East.
    Which, I think is part of why I enjoyed it when I played it. I have little interest in playing the FF games that I haven't.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

whether something is unique or new, doesn't necessarily mean its mainstream. Ie no matter how popular lunar was, it was always at best in the suikoden and breath of fire group, it was never a bonafide blockbuster like FF in the West and DW in the East.
    Why you gotta throw salt on the wound?

Uhhhh NOTHING in the JRPG category sold as well as a FF title in the west or a DQ in the east. And Lunar sold far better than either of the 2 RPG's you referenced, with far less overhead.

FF7 for instance was actually released by SCEA (along with Einhander and Bushido Blade) as Squaresoft at the time did not yet have a US office capable of supporting the title, at the time Square was still licensing the GB Mana games to Sunsoft for release in the US under the FF name to keep the brand alive after the bottom fell out of the SNES market and Square and many other publishers closed up their US offices.

The amount of money SCEA poured into FF7 Launch with multi page spreads and adverts across EVERY gaming book, their sticking it to NCL for how many cartridges it would take to fit FF7 on. TVC's, Demo Disk, Massive in store POP programs etc. really helped drive a majority of those sales to people who had never seen an RPG before or played one.

IMHO.

V/r,
    Yak

I remember seeing the commercials a bunch of times.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Yaksaddle View Post
    Uhhhh NOTHING in the JRPG category sold as well as a FF title in the west or a DQ in the east. And Lunar sold far better than either of the 2 RPG's you referenced, with far less overhead.

FF7 for instance was actually released by SCEA (along with Einhander and Bushido Blade) as Squaresoft at the time did not yet have a US office capable of supporting the title, at the time Square was still licensing the GB Mana games to Sunsoft for release in the US under the FF name to keep the brand alive after the bottom fell out of the SNES market and Square and many other publishers closed up their US offices.

The amount of money SCEA poured into FF7 Launch with multi page spreads and adverts across EVERY gaming book, their sticking it to NCL for how many cartridges it would take to fit FF7 on. TVC's, Demo Disk, Massive in store POP programs etc. really helped drive a majority of those sales to people who had never seen an RPG before or played one.

IMHO.

It was more about the worldwide release and exclusivity, as Square Europe wasn't around until 1998. Square USA had been around for years before. Lots of games got released on the PS1 over the course of that year, and the EA deal happened shortly after the release of FF VII. I suspect that Square simply didn't care about a few Game Boy games that were several years old. The GBC was on its way around the time that Sunsoft republished those games. Admittedly, I was pretty surprised to see them back on the store shelves.

Vic's at e3.

Quote Originally Posted by theonewithgreeneyes View Post
    Vic's at e3.
    Show me the proof.

His last log in here is still Nov 20. Atleast under his official account.
    GW Villan HQ Crew

I just tried to see Tempest's profile, and it blocked me. Now I'm 120% sure that he is Vic.

Ok... that is strange.
    Is it possible tempest deleted the account?
    Well, he or someone being him has a facebook account. I forget the link but he had posted it here once. I think gyp has it.
    GW Villan HQ Crew

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast