Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sega Saturn repros as if they were released back in 1998! (Amazing WD Lunar Repro)

Sega Saturn repros as if they were released back in 1998

As a Saturn nut I always dreamed of a day when people could create stuff like this... and firstly these aint those shity Etsy repros...

There is a guy who is creating 100% to spec, down to the very tiniest detail, US Sega Saturn game packaging for games we never got or games that were translated.

Literally every detail including the color of the spines based on when it might have come out (barber stripes vs the plain white), and even US patching the disc region.

He is also 100% translating the manuals and making them look as good if not better than Sega would have. Even the disc printing is perfection. Between the fan translations and this guys packaging, I almost consider these retail releases 20 years later lol.

He even does the Working Designs games with the damn foil.

Last edited by DinoDerek; 05-26-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Here is his facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/SegaSaturnDave/

He is doing limited runs of his completed works as he goes along. $45 each but you have to see the detail. The Radiant Silvergun one is up for pre-order and the manual is translated including the in game cut scenes.

Liver Linkle Story is also up for pre-order.

A lot of these translated games Ive never had the huge urge to try. Im one of those weirdos thats all about the whole experience. To me this is almost like buying the NA releases of some of these titles which actually excites me to play them.

Those look super pretty, and seem worth the money to me too. But, I'm not dealing with facebook ****. Just trying to browse over that page to see a couple pictures was frustrating.

Eh. It's not official, like PCE Works is not official.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Eh. It's not official, like PCE Works is not official.
    Very true not official. However its close enough to real retail in quality that I might collect a set from him and keep it on a separate shelf for fun and just because of the sheer high quality.

I dont know what PCE Works does. I dont like repros of stuff that already exists. I do kinda like re imagining of what releases should have looked like had they come over. Its something I always wanted to do but didnt have the skills like this dude.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 05-26-2019 at 06:18 PM.

I won't give money to bootleggers but I'm also really not going to begrudge people that want to. Doesn't hurt the hobby as long as it is clear what they are as long as people aren't just ripping off the people that did the translation work. I know a guy that did big translation projects and he got pissed and quit when people started bootlegging his work. That hurts the hobby for sure.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Does appear to look nice. Nice to see he did stick his name on them.

I'd rather just have the originals.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Ive been of two thoughts.

I like having a case to house my translated game or even just the JPN copy.

But im also a purist. Nothing can feel like original releases.

I think I like these as high end fan art projects.

I want the Deep Fear one the most because the US version was done and I even own US Sega discs with it on it. Always just needed a US package.

I think I was just taken aback by how good these are and Ive always wondered what some of these games would look like if they had been released over here.

Otherwise in all my years collecting Ive actually never owned a single repro for anything.

Sega Saturn has just been so difficult with the manuals and backarts that Ive never seen anyone pull it off.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 05-26-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Seeing some of these box arts for games I always dreamed of having US releases is pretty cool.

I guess I won't really know how I feel about them until I get one in hand that Ive ordered.

Maybe Im just awestruck seeing things Ive only imagined for 20+ years and that feeling will wear off once I realize they are just repros... we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Doesn't hurt the hobby as long as it is clear what they are as long as people aren't just ripping off the people that did the translation work..
    Ive never bought any of these repros that involve fan translations. For some reason in my head I think the two things should go hand in hand. Fan Translation + Fan packaging. I didn't know there was such a disconnect between the two in the community.

Mentally and physically I will likely keep these separate if I start buying them. No way I could mix them in.

Lastly as far as this guy goes, he does not actually want to profit from these. He only made these for himself for reasons like mine, always wanting for fun to see what these games would look like had they come over here. Hes also only doing 10-20 copies of each as he never intended it for a profit, only a fun hobby. So to me he seems pretty genuine.
    Last edited by DinoDerek; 05-26-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast