Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eiyuden Chronicle (Kickstarter starts July 27th, 2020)

You can check if a game has an Update by pressing pause on the PS4 menu and clicking 'Check for Update'.
    Sometimes the PS4 doesn't realize on it's own there's an update unless you do that.

Back to this game, it has been less than 48 hours and it has now surpassed Wakfu Season 4's whole kickstarter.
    Holy crap.
    Sanity is the Lie, There is only Madness.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    It hadn't been patched when I played it. There was a patch when I was almost done but supposedly I would have needed to start over.
    It was patched day 1. Only people who technically would have played it without the launch patch would be people who got it from Gamestop a few days early.

Excited for this too. Not sure which version to back, but will prob just go with digital. It seems like all successful game Kickstarter campaigns lately end up finding a publisher. Which means expect it at retail.
    PSN/Steam/XBL - DrgnSlayerDyne

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I have to say that's a solid sentiment. I've been burned (and have many others I know) on videogame Kickstarter/Indiegogo campaigns. I'll just wait until the actual product is completed.
    The thing about kickstarters is, you have to be responsible with your money. Only those who are willing to lose money should back things.
    For example, I backed Eiyuden Chronicle. They are being very honest and realistic about it in the description, yet even at this point, I do it with full awareness that things could go wrong and it could be canceled / buried in Development Hell. I wouldn't cry for losing the money, we are the investors here and that's the risk.

I was burned once though. A game I really wanted went live on kickstarter, and before the campaign finished, they canceled it, saying a company was interested in funding it.
    I never heard of it again and the creators went COMPLETELY silent after that. No interviews or further statements after that since 2017.

Lol, I feel like I am being responsible for my money by not doing Kickstarters for games anymore. I've yet to see a single game that was done on Kickstarter where they didn't make copies for regular people to buy later, that's kind of my point. If there are going to be cool bonuses or something I might consider it (and did with Xeno Crisis) but if I am more on the fence I'd rather just hold my money until there's a product out there to actually buy.

Personally I think Kickstarters can have a worse result sometimes because of the crowdfunding if people don't like the vision of the creator and try and change it mid-development.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    we are the investors here and that's the risk
    There's my absolute biggest gripe. As an investment Kickstarters are TERRIBLE. There's no dividends or payout at the end. The best case scenario is simply not losing your money and actually receiving the product.
    You could take like $50, drop it into anything, and 5 years later probably have like $65. Risks are justified because they yield rewards. Dropping your $50 into something to potentially get $50-or-less 5 years later is the height of a terrible investment.

I'm glad I didn't fund the Kickstarter on Shenmue III. I played 10min and it's just a terrible-looking game. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I've yet to see a single game that was done on Kickstarter where they didn't make copies for regular people to buy later, that's kind of my point.
    Wait, are you saying that only the people who back a project should get the finished product?

I thought the point was helping to make it happen, and not just that, once it exceeds the goal, it's about helping to make it better. As they say, "put money where your mouth is", the most important contribution people can make besides working directly with the project, is kickstarter money. The more money Eiyuden Chronicle makes, the better, not just for Suikoden fans, but for JRPG fans in general.

This kickstarter will probably end at around $5 million. Now, imagine a crazy bizarre scenario where it makes more than $500 million. What do you think is gonna happen? I'm sure other companies will look at it with money signs in their eyes and start working on actual good JRPGs with good stories and pixel art too. If you wait for it to be on shelves, and not only that but also wait for a 50% off sale or maybe even just borrow it from someone, BUT you're also rich and you want companies to make good JRPGs, then you're doing it wrong I will just assume not everyone has extra money to burn, in which case we go back to the first thing you said, you're being responsible by not backing it.

Btw, how did it go with Class of Heroes 2 Deluxe Edition?
    Last edited by kleev_55; 08-01-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Yeah, the point is ALWAYS to release it to everyone eventually, Backers typically just get unique or at least early loot.
    Sanity is the Lie, There is only Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    Btw, how did it go with Class of Heroes 2 Deluxe Edition?
    Way to make the point.
    That Kickstarter failed, and the game was still released. I'm just sure it wasn't as easy on Vic as it would've been with our $$.
    But the real point is developers don't need our $$. We're just one possible funding source, successful Kickstarters continue to obtain funding from more influential investors (see Shenmue as an obvious example). Given a real investment opportunity with profit sharing I wouldn't mind dropping large amounts of money into some game development. These real investment opportunities are not offered to us though. Kickstarter is just a really shitty presale platform.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast