Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eiyuden Chronicle (Kickstarter starts July 27th, 2020)

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I've stopped doing Kickstarters for the reasons that Bandit mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I've stopped doing Kickstarters for the reasons that Bandit mentions.
    I don't think he replied in this topic as to why.

Or did I?
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar14 View Post
    Kickstarter is just a really shitty presale platform.
    This is basically how I feel.

Kleev, I can see your points about hoping to influence trends for devs/pubs to actually make the games we want. But I feel like it's just wishful thinking. Many times the people who greenlight games and media and anything with large budgets like this don't care about risks and "new" trends. They want something that's cheap and easy to make and good enough to make a profit on.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    This is basically how I feel.

Kleev, I can see your points about hoping to influence trends for devs/pubs to actually make the games we want. But I feel like it's just wishful thinking. Many times the people who greenlight games and media and anything with large budgets like this don't care about risks and "new" trends. They want something that's cheap and easy to make and good enough to make a profit on.
    There's a difference, it IS wishful thinking of me to imagine it reaching $500 million.
    It is no longer wishful thinking that it would influence others with that amount of money, no matter what.

There's an elephant in the room that we need to address: The majority of people who pay for games, don't actually play good games. This is why it will never happen. (Applies to everything, not just games)
    For a new JRPG to come out and influence most devs out there, it needs to be targeted at majority. Because of this, it can't be very good, but a common denominator.
    Anyway, at that point, JRPGs will probably still see a resurgence and we will get the good games finally, but THOSE won't profit much, which leads us basically to where we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I don't think he replied in this topic as to why.
    Quote Originally Posted by banditwolf View Post
    Or did I?
    It's a presale platform that inevitably always sees outside funding. And the games end up getting released through normal distribution anyway, often under better circumstances.

I wasn't too happy with how Bloodstained on Switch turned out. It's still broken, though not nearly as bad. But they made people change from Vita and Wii U to something else (imagine how rough Vita might have been). I originally had Vita and switched to Switch only because I didn't have a PS4 at the time. But by the time the game had progressed to a point where it was obvious that the Switch release was an afterthought, Fangamer wouldn't let people change.

I have two copies of the game now. Switch is unopened. I wasn't going to wait around for a year for them to fix it.

By the way; Bloodstained was poorly optimized on all platforms. It just happens to be at its worst on Switch. Good game, but broken. I hope that they've learned some tricks for the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by kleev_55 View Post
    There's a difference, it IS wishful thinking of me to imagine it reaching $500 million.
    It is no longer wishful thinking that it would influence others with that amount of money, no matter what.

There's an elephant in the room that we need to address: The majority of people who pay for games, don't actually play good games. This is why it will never happen. (Applies to everything, not just games)
    For a new JRPG to come out and influence most devs out there, it needs to be targeted at majority. Because of this, it can't be very good, but a common denominator.
    Anyway, at that point, JRPGs will probably still see a resurgence and we will get the good games finally, but THOSE won't profit much, which leads us basically to where we are today.
    I'm not sure about that but it seems to at least be the case for JRPGs. Most of the stuff that's coming out of Japan is catering to the lowest of the low.

Yeah, I kinda wish JRPG devs would try harder, and for the love of the Lord, STOP making them all action RPGs, I LIKE turn-based combat.

Part of the reason I hope this does well, is that this isn't a game focused on fanservice and the typical "Deities bad, church bad, humanity good, oh now humanity is screwed as the God in question can't protect them from the Eldritch Horror now." (For real, I love that swerve in Lunar 2.).

I just want them to try a little more, not even much more, and not rely on Fanservice to sell the bloody game.
    Also real tired of the Evil Church thing for no other reason then everyone immediately guesses it and it's never a surprise now, it's predictable as heck.
    Do any other story, you MIGHT be able to surprise us plot wise if you do.

Annnd I turned this into a rant.

I just....I miss the PS1 era JRPGs, that had to try more and then did some cool stuff (Ra-Seru in Legend of Legaia for instance.).
    Sanity is the Lie, There is only Madness.

Comes down to a mismanaged budget. It's often quantity over quality, but even some of the high budget games are pretty lame. I love some lower budget games. I don't really care about being action vs turn based though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast