Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Magic Knight Rayearth and Sega

  1. #11
    Rumor has it that the HDD crash that caused Sega to lose Rayearth happened to also take out Panzer Dragoon Saga and the original House of the Dead, which is why PDS has never resurfaced despite its popularity and HOTD1 was conspicuously absent from the HOTD 2&3 Return Wii compilation. I don't know if this is actually the case but if not then it just means Sega is really bad at preserving its source code and dropped the ball on more than one occasion.

    Rayearth is the focus of a pretty interesting memory, actually. I had gotten a Saturn as a gift very late. We're talking 1998. It was so late, in fact, that I really couldn't find any games for it anywhere so I was playing a lot of Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2, and Virtua Cop. From there, my first order of business was importing X-Men vs. Street Fighter because obviously. And being a huge Castlevania fan, I also grabbed the Saturn port of SOTN. But other than that, I wasn't doing much with it. I wasn't really into the import "scene" otherwise. Then around Christmas time, I overheard from somewhere that Electronics Boutique was dealing in Saturn imports. Already having one of those 4-in-1 Action Replay carts for XvsSF and Castlevania, I went to the mall looking to see what was up. The guy I spoke to didn't know anything about that and said they didn't have any Saturn stock left except for one thing in particular (and I mean it, literally ONE single thing). He actually took me in the stock room and sitting all alone in this underlit closet on a stack of brown boxes was a single copy of Magic Knight Rayearth.

    There was something very special about the whole thing. The combination of the holiday bustle, the noise of which being drowned out inside this cave of a stock room which was housing a brand new insanely colorful and embossed Saturn game, the shimmer of which looked absolutely spectacular in the otherwise dark surroundings, gave my 14 year old self a real Indiana Jones vibe. I was enchanted by the appearance, that Working Designs flair. Bear in mind that I knew nothing about this game. Didn't even know it existed. All I can do is be grateful to the floor salesman who went beyond the call of duty for some random kid.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-26-2013 at 09:09 PM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Rumor has it that the HDD crash that caused Sega to lose Rayearth happened to also take out Panzer Dragoon Saga and the original House of the Dead, which is why PDS has never resurfaced despite its popularity and HOTD1 was conspicuously absent from the HOTD 2&3 Return Wii compilation. I don't know if this is actually the case but if not then it just means Sega is really bad at preserving its source code and dropped the ball on more than one occasion.

    Rayearth is the focus of a pretty interesting memory, actually. I had gotten a Saturn as a gift very late. We're talking 1998. It was so late, in fact, that I really couldn't find any games for it anywhere so I was playing a lot of Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2, and Virtua Cop. From there, my first order of business was importing X-Men vs. Street Fighter because obviously. And being a huge Castlevania fan, I also grabbed the Saturn port of SOTN. But other than that, I wasn't doing much with it. I wasn't really into the import "scene" otherwise. Then around Christmas time, I overheard from somewhere that Electronics Boutique was dealing in Saturn imports. Already having one of those 4-in-1 Action Replay carts for XvsSF and Castlevania, I went to the mall looking to see what was up. The guy I spoke to didn't know anything about that and said they didn't have any Saturn stock left except for one thing in particular (and I mean it, literally ONE single thing). He actually took me in the stock room and sitting all alone in this underlit closet on a stack of brown boxes was a single copy of Magic Knight Rayearth.

    There was something very special about the whole thing. The combination of the holiday bustle, the noise of which being drowned out inside this cave of a stock room which was housing a brand new insanely colorful and embossed Saturn game, the shimmer of which looked absolutely spectacular in the otherwise dark surroundings, gave my 14 year old self a real Indiana Jones vibe. I was enchanted by the appearance, that Working Designs flair. Bear in mind that I knew nothing about this game. Didn't even know it existed. All I can do is be grateful to the floor salesman who went beyond the call of duty for some random kid.
    Hearing this makes me wish I had a similar experience - sounds awesome!

  3. #13
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,543
    I think that MKR is an excellent and very underrated game. It is one of my favorites on the Saturn.

    "If memory serves me correctly"...

    Already a Working Designs fan, I lucked out and walked into a Babbage's / Software Etc. on its release day and happened to see it in a box behind the counter, but I never preordered it because I didn't have a Saturn. Let's just say that I bought it immediately, knowing that it was going to be hard to come by.

    I then went almost immediately across the way to a FuncoLand and picked up a used Saturn for $20, and managed to score an import copy of Fire Pro Wrestling: 6 Man Scramble. It was a good day.

    My MKR disk has Fuu.

    Anyone remember the joke version of the opening song that WD posted on the web page?

  4. #14
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I think that MKR is an excellent and very underrated game. It is one of my favorites on the Saturn.

    "If memory serves me correctly"...

    Already a Working Designs fan, I lucked out and walked into a Babbage's / Software Etc. on its release day and happened to see it in a box behind the counter, but I never preordered it because I didn't have a Saturn. Let's just say that I bought it immediately, knowing that it was going to be hard to come by.

    I then went almost immediately across the way to a FuncoLand and picked up a used Saturn for $20, and managed to score an import copy of Fire Pro Wrestling: 6 Man Scramble. It was a good day.

    My MKR disk has Fuu.

    Anyone remember the joke version of the opening song that WD posted on the web page?
    The super-R&B version crafted for indignant rage. That was fun.

  5. #15
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,543
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    The super-R&B version crafted for indignant rage. That was fun.
    I didn't think it was nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be, but it's been a good *15* years so maybe I'm forgetting.

    Indignant rage is an understatement. You could swear that some of the fanboys that had waited years for that game were going to go postal over that one. That was probably one of the biggest backlashes I'd ever seen there.

    Edit: (Found old text on it). "Remember that joke we played on you and your fellow netizens with an R&B sounding opening to Magic Knight Rayearth? Well, we decided to include it on the released version of the game. But, in order to get it, you have to put in a special super secret code. Simply press and hold Right Shift+Left Shift+X+B+Z+Start as you boot Rayearth and hold it until the opening animation begins to load. If you did this correctly, you'll get the opening song performed by Jennifer Stigile in Mariah Carey fashion."

    Here it is:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nydu...e_gdata_player
    Last edited by zborgerd; 08-27-2013 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Added Quote And Video.

  6. #16
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by originalself View Post
    It's a cool story. I would pay good money for a hardbound coffee table book covering the history of Working Designs with all the behind the scenes stories.

    I always thought the Hikaru disc was the rarest. Mine is the Fuu disc.

    From my experience (which is completely based on ebay auctions and the such) the most common variant was Fuu. Hikaru was the rarest, with Umi (obviously) in the middle, but closer to the numbers for Hikaru. I would see 3-4 Fuu copies appear for every 2 Umi and maybe 1 Hikaru version. Granted, this was several years ago when I was working on picking up copies of them all, and the prices were thankfully nowhere near what they are today.

    My Fuu copy is actually still sealed from when I bought it, I made a CDR copy of my friend's version (also Fuu) back in the day and played on that since I already had a modchip in my Saturn

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post

    My Fuu copy is actually still sealed from when I bought it, I made a CDR copy of my friend's version (also Fuu) back in the day and played on that since I already had a modchip in my Saturn
    Nice. I recently chipped my Saturn so I don't have to risk damaging my original discs. The games just cost to much to replace now.

  8. #18
    Senior Member xelement5x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    6,499
    Quote Originally Posted by originalself View Post
    Nice. I recently chipped my Saturn so I don't have to risk damaging my original discs. The games just cost to much to replace now.
    Heh, and burning CDs now is a lot less of trial than it was back then. I remember shelling out quite a lot for my SCSI burner to avoid buffer underrun errors back then, and still needing to be super careful since the blanks weren't anywhere near as cheap as they are now. Oddly though, my Saturn chip is dead now so I just wind up playing the originals when I've got the hankering. I should probably look into a replacement, as I can't imagine the chips are more than $30 or so.

  9. #19
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    outside the garden
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    The super-R&B version crafted for indignant rage. That was fun.
    even moreso than the Dark Scimitar?

  10. #20
    Administrator vicireland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,419
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    even moreso than the Dark Scimitar?
    The Dark Scimitar lives on. I insert it here or there on different projects to see if anyone finds it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •