Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magic Knight Rayearth and Sega

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    The Dark Scimitar lives on. I insert it here or there on different projects to see if anyone finds it.
    What is the Dark Scimitar? Do you seriously ever run out of WD trivia? lol I'm seriously going to search CH2 through and through to make sure you didn't hide anything when the game gets updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    What is the Dark Scimitar? Do you seriously ever run out of WD trivia? lol I'm seriously going to search CH2 through and through to make sure you didn't hide anything when the game gets updated.
    I've been in games a long time, and stuff like that tends to accumulate. Add that to the fact that I hide things in games just for the enjoyment of imagining the reaction of when people find them. Some haven't been found to date.

I've been in games a long time, and stuff like that tends to accumulate. Add that to the fact that I hide things in games just for the enjoyment of imagining the reaction of when people find them. Some haven't been found to date.
    That made the completionist part of my brain twitch. Are these undiscovered bits still documented? What would be the statute of limitations on keeping such secrets? Maybe we can get some of them for the old games someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    hopefully my memory isn't too bad about this. The Dark Scimitar drama took place almost 20 years ago and I think its important to point out internet culture back then was a lot different than it is now. Dorky internet losers back often took incredible offense to petty things and took things so personally they held grudges against people. It wasn't uncommon to look up fan sites for things like Lunar and see listed a 'page of shame' naming certain individuals guilty of crimes like "he stole my DBZ screen capture and USED IT ON HIS PAGE!". Stupid crap like that.

The Dark Scimitar fiasco involved Lunar 2 on the Sega CD. Lunar 2 has a handful of secret items that can be found in hidden rooms. It has a lot more items hidden in its code that weren't programmed into the actual game. You can't get them through normal means.

There was an intrepid gamer who went by the name Hatless Dezorian. He came across a bug in Lunar 2 that would get the game to dump the dummied out items in your inventory. This bug went on to be known as the Lemina bug. Once he found out he could do this, he got really excited. His buddies got really excited. He was getting all these crazy new weird items in the game and he was sharing his discoveries with the internet. Somewhere in there, Victor Ireland responded to him and introduced the Dark Scimitar. Victor made it sound like the Dark Scimitar was so OP it broke the game. I believe he said it would 1-hit kill anything including bosses. Naturally Hatless got super duper excited and he just had to find it. To make things worse, Victor said something to the extent he'd tell everyone how to find the Dark Scimitar if Hatless actually got it.

Over the course of the next few months Hatless obsessively worked the Lemina bug until he did finally attain the Dark Scimitar. He shared his discovery with his friends and then eventually on Working Designs' own forums. He stated it didn't do what Vic said it did. He and his buddies also demanded, since the Dark Scimitar had been found, that Vic tell them how to get it in-game. What happened next was nothing. Victor remained silent on the matter. Hatless and his friends' reaction was as if they had their DBZ screen capture taken away from them. They demanded an answer or else... Then they started causin' trouble in the neighborhood trying to turn people on WD's own forums against them. The resulting angry drama they produced got 'em banned from WD's forums. Once kicked out, Hatless and his friends naturally were angry to the point they held a grudge in what the internet would now define as butt-hurt. One of whom produced a hilariously over the top web page demonizing Victor Ireland equating him with Richard Nixon or Bill Clinton and a few other villains and crooks.

It was 4 chan grade trolling worthy of that MAXIMUM TROLLING.jpg long before any of that ever existed.

It isn't like Victor hasn't done that sort of crap before. If you actually own any of WD's games from Sega CD on you'll come across at least 1 doctored fake photo in the instruction manual. The man isn't beyond trolling people for ****s and giggles.
    Last edited by sweetsweetfugu; 08-31-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    hopefully my memory isn't too bad about this. The Dark Scimitar drama took place almost 20 years ago and I think its important to point out internet culture back then was a lot different than it is now. Dorky internet losers back often took incredible offense to petty things and took things so personally they held grudges against people. It wasn't uncommon to look up fan sites for things like Lunar and see listed a 'page of shame' naming certain individuals guilty of crimes like "he stole my DBZ screen capture and USED IT ON HIS PAGE!". Stupid crap like that.

The Dark Scimitar fiasco involved Lunar 2 on the Sega CD. Lunar 2 has a handful of secret items that can be found in hidden rooms. It has a lot more items hidden in its code that weren't programmed into the actual game. You can't get them through normal means.

There was an intrepid gamer who went by the name Hatless Dezorian. He came across a bug in Lunar 2 that would get the game to dump the dummied out items in your inventory. This bug went on to be known as the Lemina bug. Once he found out he could do this, he got really excited. His buddies got really excited. He was getting all these crazy new weird items in the game and he was sharing his discoveries with the internet. Somewhere in there, Victor Ireland responded to him and introduced the Dark Scimitar. Victor made it sound like the Dark Scimitar was so OP it broke the game. I believe he said it would 1-hit kill anything including bosses. Naturally Hatless got super duper excited and he just had to find it. To make things worse, Victor said something to the extent he'd tell everyone how to find the Dark Scimitar if Hatless actually got it.

Over the course of the next few months Hatless obsessively worked the Lemina bug until he did finally attain the Dark Scimitar. He shared his discovery with his friends and then eventually on Working Designs' own forums. He stated it didn't do what Vic said it did. He and his buddies also demanded, since the Dark Scimitar had been found, that Vic tell them how to get it in-game. What happened next was nothing. Victor remained silent on the matter. Hatless and his friends' reaction was as if they had their DBZ screen capture taken away from them. They demanded an answer or else... Then they started causin' trouble in the neighborhood trying to turn people on WD's own forums against them. The resulting angry drama they produced got 'em banned from WD's forums. Once kicked out, Hatless and his friends naturally were angry to the point they held a grudge in what the internet would now define as butt-hurt. One of whom produced a hilariously over the top web page demonizing Victor Ireland equating him with Richard Nixon or Bill Clinton and a few other villains and crooks.

It was 4 chan grade trolling worthy of that MAXIMUM TROLLING.jpg long before any of that ever existed.

It isn't like Victor hasn't done that sort of crap before. If you actually own any of WD's games from Sega CD on you'll come across at least 1 doctored fake photo in the instruction manual. The man isn't beyond trolling people for ****s and giggles.
    I recall the old internet culture (the age when webrings were king and google was a long way from didn't existing lol) but I wasn't a WD fan back then so this is new stuff to me XD. Seems like you guys had a lot of fun back in the day. I'm rather curious of what other WD secrets are still undiscovered out there lol.

Thanks for keeping the faith. That game was a trial, for sure.

We were on our own recovering the crashed data that was missing from the project we got from SEGA. They never came up with anything to help us besides the occasional "Ganbatte, ne!", which really wasn't that helpful at all. We had to extract binary segments from the released Japanese version of the game and cut and paste them into the broken files with hex editors. We had to recreate what was missing and then smooth over the rough edges of our hack (essentially) with new code. It was a huge hassle and really stretched out the project.

But that wasn't the only pain. When we were literally almost done (after a couple years!) SEGA suddenly sent us a portfolio from Clamp of the official English names they wanted us to use for the game. Nevermind that the names sucked (Fuu was "Anemone", Hikaru was "Blaze" and I forget what Umi was - I still have the portfolio packed up somewhere), the game WAS ESSENTIALLY DONE with the original Japanese names, and I wasn't going to re-do it all so they would have a clip for their pitch of the bad anime dub they were trying to use the game to sell. So I resisted - a lot, and they eventually saw it my way. The anime dub never went anywhere, anyhow.

Oh, and the translation notes in the final manual are not the first ones I wrote. The initial ones were much more honest and detailed about the process, but SEGA found it offensive and asked me to change it when we submitted the manual for approval. So I toned it down and left out details that they felt made them look bad, perhaps.

I never sued them, though. That would be bad form. We got it all worked out in the end. And, I liked SEGA and wanted to keep working with them. Unfortunately, these days most of the people I worked with and got along with have burned out or moved on. There's only a handful left at SEGA Japan from the good old days. We do have communication with them, but it's much more limited that it used to be.
    Geebus! Thank goddess you stuck to the original Jp names.... MKR anime/manga was one of the earliest classics back when anime was getting on its feet. I shudder to think at those terrible terrible dub names >.<

Quote Originally Posted by RocKM001 View Post
    Geebus! Thank goddess you stuck to the original Jp names.... MKR anime/manga was one of the earliest classics back when anime was getting on its feet. I shudder to think at those terrible terrible dub names >.<
    The dumbest part of the dub names they tried to force on us was that Fuu's awful name was even MORE awful because anemone sounds like "an enemy!" when you're doing the VA. Really stupid, and completely lacking foresight. I never would have submitted to that crap.

<huge snip>

Wow. You remember a lot more detail than I do about that.

But yes, I do hide fun stuff in the games for fans to find, and I also admit that trolling the irrational/unreasonable with pictures, media, and hidden things in and with the games I release is also kind of fun. I've done it on more than one occasion, and the payoff is usually quite satisfactory.

o_0 interesting story and a little funny too

This isn't the fake photo you're talking about (there were quite a few), but one of my favorites was the one in the Magic section of the SEGA CD manual with Ghaleon participating in the Black Dragon battle. It made no sense at all, we had nothing in the accompanying text even acknowledging it, but people were going insane trying to make it happen. My favorite kind of mischief.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast