Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Request - Unchained Blades Exxiv PSP/3DS

Game Request - Unchained Blades Exxiv PSP/3DS

XSEED commented recently that they have dropped yet another series... Unchained Blades. Fortunately they don't have the rights to the second game so it's up for grabs.

Exxiv (or lets just call it UBII) is the second installment in the series. It has a lot of great Japanese talent behind the game:

From Siliconera
    Furyu is continuing Unchained Blades, a dungeon crawler that brought together the creators of Lunar, Grandia, and a ton of well known artists. Famitsu has the scoop on Unchained Blades Exiv, which is in development for PSP and Nintendo 3DS.

Takashi Hino (Grandia) is working on the game’s story and Toshio Akashi (Lunar) is the producer. Earthbound Papas is composing the soundtrack and the theme song will be written by Nobuo Uematsu.

Unchained Blades Exiv will have artwork from:

Suzuhito Yasuda (Devil Survivor)
    Haruyuki Morisawa (Larange: The Flower of Rin-ne)
    Yusuke Kozaki (No More Heroes)
    Kumiko Suekane (Once Upon a Glashma)
    Kaito Shibano (Luminous Arc 3)
    Kunihiko Tanaka (Xenogears and Sands of Destruction)
    Keatsumi Enami (Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari)
    Kia Asamiya (Fist of the North Star)
    Shin Nagasawa
    Eiji Kaneda (Aquarion)
    Senmu (Kampfer)

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2012/05/29...brF7YpcHYAV.99
    For those who don't know Unchained Blades is a Dungeon Crawler similar to Class of Heroes but more story focused. You can also "Unchain" enemies to use them as minions in battles. The game also has a few quirks, I absolutely loved the first one... I'm super bummed that the series got cut off -_- it's disappointing to say the least. It would be amazing if GW gave the series a second shot like with Class of Heroes because it really seems like a huge waste.

Some more artwork:

I enjoyed the first game but I didn't love it. I will definitely buy this if localized but there are other games I'd rather see.

I did like the first one quite a bit, and would love to see a localization of the second one as well!!!

I beat the original, and I'd buy this one if it came over. No one really buys dungeon-crawlers for their story, but I do like these newer variants with charming enough stories and characters to keep things fresh. A cutscene or two between dungeons serves to break up the monotony nicely, and wanting to know what happens next can give you just that little extra motivation to finish that sprawling hours-long labyrinth of hellmonsters. UB revolves around the powerful theme of wishes (the things people wish for, what motivates their wishes, how they act because of their wishes, what effect wishes have on people's lives), and while it's hardly an epic, the result is genuinely entertaining.
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

I would support it if it got a physical release, however I would much prefer some other types of jrpg be brought over. The market is getting over-saturated with dungeon crawlers IMHO.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Quote Originally Posted by Lirishae View Post
    I beat the original, and I'd buy this one if it came over. No one really buys dungeon-crawlers for their story, but I do like these newer variants with charming enough stories and characters to keep things fresh. A cutscene or two between dungeons serves to break up the monotony nicely, and wanting to know what happens next can give you just that little extra motivation to finish that sprawling hours-long labyrinth of hellmonsters. UB revolves around the powerful theme of wishes (the things people wish for, what motivates their wishes, how they act because of their wishes, what effect wishes have on people's lives), and while it's hardly an epic, the result is genuinely entertaining.
    This is exactly the reason why I loved it so much. DCs tend to get somewhat boring for me after prolonged period of play-time, I have to take breaks till the quest/loot hunting urge kicks in again. But this game is different, add a cool story and plenty of dialogue with charming characters and I can dungeon crawl the game like forever! I really feel like it's takes the strong points from DC games and the standard console turn-based RPGs and mashes them into one. Another thing I liked is how they employed numerous little mechanics to liven up the DCing like: the unchains, conversations with followers after battle or before town, the whole mining/harvesting/logging within dungeons, the cool skill rings building, conversations with party members each time you find campsites and Judgement Battles(when they didn't get tedious lol) I think the developers went out of their way to make the game fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    I would support it if it got a physical release, however I would much prefer some other types of jrpg be brought over. The market is getting over-saturated with dungeon crawlers IMHO.
    I honestly wonder why XSEED didn't release the original game physically, I mean it wasn't even PSP only it came out on 3DS too. I'm certain a lot of people skipped on it because of it being digital only especially on 3DS. The DRM on the 3DS is terrible 0-0, console breaks you loose everything (which hopefully the the Dec update could soften it up a teeny little bit). A physical UCII from GW would be glorious, this game has a lot of artwork and assets to make a masterful collectors item even if it's not a collectors edition SKU. :P

The first one being digital only killed it for me. I'm not invested in the first person dungeon crawling genre and the characters/world didn't seem that interesting, but I still would have supported it if it was one of the last UMD games.

I'd rather Vic get some more variety in the lineup then take on another game in the exact same genre as CoH.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    The first one being digital only killed it for me. I'm not invested in the first person dungeon crawling genre and the characters/world didn't seem that interesting, but I still would have supported it if it was one of the last UMD games.

I'd rather Vic get some more variety in the lineup then take on another game in the exact same genre as CoH.
    I echo this completely.
    Bakery List
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    I echo this completely.
    a digital release wouldnt be that bad since the probs that class of heroes 2 had with its limited physical release...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by perrandy View Post
    a digital release wouldnt be that bad since the probs that class of heroes 2 had with its limited physical release...just saying
    The problems it had did not bother me in the slightest, and if it released digital only, I would not purchase it.
    Bakery List
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast