Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 RPGs you should play!

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    PS3 had the definitive version of FF XIII, but the game was so poor that it doesn't even matter. Ratings seem to place it on par with Last Remnant, and that's simply inexcusable.
    Thank you! Couldn't of said it any better. That game is garbage! I haven't enjoyed a single main FF game not a remake or side story since FFIX.

FF 13 was alright. I hate that SE keeps focusing on FF13-2 and Lightning Returns like all the fans have been clamoring for a continuation of those games.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    FF 13 was alright. I hate that SE keeps focusing on FF13-2 and Lightning Returns like all the fans have been clamoring for a continuation of those games.
    I'm clamoring for the Saga, Mana and Front Mission series' to get new games that are true to their roots, not some action game like Front Mission evolved

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw80 View Post
    Thank you! Couldn't of said it any better. That game is garbage! I haven't enjoyed a single main FF game not a remake or side story since FFIX.
    From what I've heard, FFX and FFXII were really great games in the series - you should at least check FFX out when it comes to PS3 in its HD Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFirewire View Post
    From what I've heard, FFX and FFXII were really great games in the series - you should at least check FFX out when it comes to PS3 in its HD Collection.
    I disagree on this; FFX was essentially FF Run-In-A-Straight-Line. I've tried playing that game twice, and it bores me to death. (FF13 is, of course, Run-In-A-Straight-Line 2.) 12 started the problem of only controlling 1 person in your party, though you at least had a bit more control over what the others would do. (Those who have any computer programming experience may find said control overly limiting. I found myself wanting an 'and' command.) I've been of the opinion that the last great FF was 6, and the last (and only after 6) good one was 9.
    -dunno001
    -CoH2? Yeah, that can Come on Here 2! ^_^

...Eternal Sonata. I would really like to be able to play that. I own it, I like the style, I like the sound, it seems interesting. The problem? It seems button pressy enough where it will leave me in a world of RMI pain.

Lost Odyssey is one of my favorites, but at the same time it's a bit of a challenge to really get into the game. It doesn't pick up and go as easily as other games.

I also very much enjoyed Star Ocean, but prefer the PS3 version over disc swapping (which can get really annoying when doing side quests late in the game.)

Something that surprised me, that I wouldn't have stopped to consider getting if not for the influx of news of Curt Schilling spending the company into bankruptcy - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. I ended up with a surprising amount of enjoyable play time for a game that was essentially on a fire sale.

I find all the praise Lost Odyssey gets as strange. I had so much difficulty trying to get into the game. With the exception of Kaim, I couldn't stand any of the characters. Its as if they were all written to be as obnoxious and unlikable as possible. The game was rife with bad japanese clichés, jrpg clichés, and really bizarre pointless moments. The first two discs were really hard to play through since it felt like they were doing their damnedest to turn me off. The very end of the 1st disc with the funeral especially. It wasn't touching or moving, it was perhaps one of the most annoying experiences I ever had in a game. Whiny annoying children stereotypes. Fetch quests for special kindling wood. A really long cut scene I wanted to skip really badly. Ugh! It wasn't till near the end of the 3rd disc I started getting into Lost Odyssey, but that's only because the director or whoever stopped trying to develop their annoying characters and the game opened up and allowed you to go wherever you wanted.

I've played worse this generation, but the 360 has been abysmal for jrpgs. they've been lacking that Japanese magic from the 16 & 32 bit generations. Its sad that the only RPG that comes to mind for the 360 I remember enjoying the most was Project Darkness and that game was a mess. I only appreciated it for its over the top goofball concept. Allied werewolves vs Nazi vampires? Ok!

Also weird to me no one has mentioned Elder Scrolls or the Fallouts here (but I don't blame you, they all come across as buggy mediocre mass produced cookie cutter garbage to me)

The best traditional RPGs I found myself playing this past generation were mostly on handhelds. DS usually. Devil Survivor 1 & 2. Fire Emblem. DQ9 (I don't even like DQ, but I liked 9)

actually, I don't know if action RPGs count, but I enjoyed Darksiders a lot. Haven't played the 2nd one so much, but Darksiders 1 is the best non-Zelda Zelda game I've played since Okami. The guy you play as is Link right down to the hook shot and pony.

haven't played Neir yet. own it. in my backlog. heard a lot of good things, but mostly from the hipster 'games is art' crowd whose taste I typically find questionable. I might give it a look soon based on what some of you have said here.

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingFirewire View Post
    Thanks, but I will pass on X. Had to force myself to play through it once. FFXII is alright, better than X, imo. Wouldn't buy a HD re-release of that either.

FFX is great! The storyline was kind of cheesy, but it was one of the first PS2 games I played and was blown away by the graphics

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I loathe XII, I didn't even have the drive to finish it with codes.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 12-05-2013 at 02:58 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast