Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What was your first video game experience?

Quote Originally Posted by TempestOne View Post
    Hey! I sent you a visitor thingy because you hadn't been signed on and posting.

I think role-playing games are more interesting. They're more detailed with things like item descriptions and whatnot and I like that because it's a tie-in to real life stuff at the same time. It makes me wonder if there are herbs in my household or if I have to do whatever like when I am hella old thinking it's important.
    RPGs are the most interesting kind of game to me because of the characters. If you become a writer, you'll quickly realize there's no such thing as an original plot. No matter how clever you think your idea is, it's always a variation of something else, and it can be boiled down to nothing but a handful of tropes. For me, what sets a story apart is the feelings and opinions of the characters who experience it.

You can define the word "herb" either loosely or narrowly, but you very likely have them lying around your home in some form ^_^ You might have aloe vera for burns in the medicine cabinet somewhere, and the spice rack in your kitchen should have plenty. Rosemary, thyme, basil, sage, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, and saffron all have medicinal properties, just to name a few (there are many others). Herbs have become increasingly popular in over-the-counter treatments as well, especially in things like sleep aids. If you have any of those lying around, you will no doubt see herbs like valerian, lavender, St. John's wort, chamomile, lemon balm, evening primrose, skullcap, hops, etc. on the ingredients' list.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    ActRaiser. Awesome game. I haven't played it for years and was thinking about it lately. just had one delivered from Ebay. It's so inexpensive, everyone with an SNES should pick it up before it's too late.
    *high-five*

Can't agree with this more.
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lirishae View Post
    RPGs are the most interesting kind of game to me because of the characters. If you become a writer, you'll quickly realize there's no such thing as an original plot. No matter how clever you think your idea is, it's always a variation of something else, and it can be boiled down to nothing but a handful of tropes. For me, what sets a story apart is the feelings and opinions of the characters who experience it.
    True. It all boils down to how likable the characters are for me. If I don't feel emotion about the characters one way or the other than why am I playing the game? I mean that's the point of an RPG to me most of the time and to an extent the gameplay. Really good gameplay can save a game in some cases.

TempestOne

What was your first video game experience?

Well, I've always liked role-playing games because they were the funniest. Just being able to control a main character and having them do literally whatever you wanted. Still, going into peoples' households and taking what's in their treasure boxes is the most hilarious idea to me. Being able to have the main character face a corner of the screen while you, the player, go to the bathroom or make dinner real fast is the creepiest idea, though actually practical for you do not want to get in the NPCs' pacing. < I've never done that before, though. It's a free-form type of gameplay that makes me feel comfortable being at home, too.

Yeah. LOL I get into random itemizing like that, too. I pretty much set everything up in my immediate area so it's all organized-looking and I can sit down with a bottle of water + cellular phone and just play video games. When I had to move into a new room and bring all my stuff & junk, I had to go through everything by hand and just ran a tallied list in my own head just to make sure I wasn't missing anything in my life. Most real-life herbs leave my tongue feeling itchy. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    Really good gameplay can save a game in some cases.
    I don't disagree with this, but I still find that I need at least some in-universe reason why I'm doing what I'm doing, even if it's very slight. The story in Etrian Odyssey 1 was pretty thin, for example, but wanting to find out the secret of the labyrinth was enough.
    Spoiler: 
    And no plot in any successive game has come even close to rivaling that "Oh my God" moment when you step into Shinjuku for the first time. In that one split-second, you realize the setting's not medieval fantasy, it's post-apocalyptic.

Quote Originally Posted by TempestOne View Post
    Still, going into peoples' households and taking what's in their treasure boxes is the most hilarious idea to me.
    One of my favorite conversations between the main character and Illuminata in Rune Factory 4 is on this subject. Lumie tells you that every time she visits someone's house, she always finds herself going through their dressers. The main character is aghast and scolds her for this; left unsaid is, "Know your place, NPC! That's MY job!" xD To cap this off, Illuminata can randomly decide to visit your bedroom.
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

TempestOne

What was your first video game experience?

I just like video games especially role-playing games that I am left noticeably unnerved-looking whenever I'd hear or read linear vs. non-linear arguments or "debates." If I can go through life without ever having to see that word again... LOL

That quote is (expletive) hysterical!

Also, I just wanted to add to the conversation/topic that one of my very first RPG experiences was probably Chrono Trigger so my very first "friend" within the universe was Marle and that was, like, a huge turning point in my life because it was such a different experience from the usual "gunning down" type of games I've played in the past. I always get confused who my first girl friend was in Marle, Kaeli from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and the Girl from Pandora in Secret of Mana. I actually think it might've been, um, Kara from Illusion of Gaia. But, first person I ever met in-game would have to be ToeJam/Earl. Sometimes I feel like I wasn't cool enough to play SEGA games.
    Last edited by TempestOne; 11-24-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123