Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your first video game experience?

lol it's actually good that you're young. I'm not that old but I sure am happy younger people got to craft their own RPG legacy. Today's generation is growing up on games that play themselves, no appreciation for good strategy and stories.

My first console was the NES. I remember wanting a Master System instead, but my cousins told me that a Nintendo would be a better choice. I fought them on it, but my parents ended up getting me an NES. I played SMB for like 6 straight hours when I got it.

Interestingly enough, I have a memory from before receiving my NES. I don't know how old I was, but we were visiting family and they had a 2600. I remember seeing Pitfall and being amazed that I could control the image on screen.

Well you are young, apparently. :P

My first experience was as a young child at the laundromat with arcade machines. It was either Galaga or Pac-Man. I remember playing both a good amount but it's impossible to remember which I played first.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    lol it's actually good that you're young. I'm not that old but I sure am happy younger people got to craft their own RPG legacy. Today's generation is growing up on games that play themselves, no appreciation for good strategy and stories.

But yeah, right there with you. New video games are soft.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 11-16-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    Well you are young, apparently. :P

My first experience was as a young child at the laundromat with arcade machines. It was either Galaga or Pac-Man. I remember playing both a good amount but it's impossible to remember which I played first.

But yeah, right there with you. New video games are soft.
    You have just described exactly how I feel with one image lol

Kinda Off-topic: My problem with gaming right now is that we are paying full retail but not getting all the content right away. They are trying to block used sales with online passes and by giving you half the game (the rest is DLC). Now sure some of the big AAA games will release "complete editions" with all the DLC but that takes forever and most games don't get that treatment. Some games are worse than others in this regard (see: Disgaea) but even most games will have at least $30-50 worth of DLC.

I miss the days of being able to buy a game once from the store to get the whole game.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 11-16-2013 at 05:00 PM.

My brother got an NES in 1988 (I was 3 or 4 at the time) for completing his Eagle Scout Award. He got it with Mario/Duck Hunt and Dragon Warrior. The NES was in his room, so we had to get his permission to come in and watch or on rare occasions he would even let us play (though for that, unless we had family/company over we usually had to do his chores). He and one of our very good family friends (the dad) were playing Dragon Warrior at the same time, and I remember when either they would come over or we would go over there, one of them would play and they would talk strategy or where to find Erdrick's armor and what not. I very vividly remember being over at our friends house when Allen (the dad not my brother) was attempting to defeat the Dragonlord the first time. Not only is it one of, if not, my first gaming memories, this is a one of the main reasons I got into Rpgs, that and Shining Force, and Final Fantasy 2 (IV).

We also had a TI 99-4 at some point when I was a kid, it might have been before my brother got the NES or after, being that young my memory is somewhat foggy on that. We were pretty poor until my mom went back to work in 89, basically when I turned 5, and I am 99% sure we got it from a local thrift store pretty far after it was relevant. However, I do remember playing the hell out of Car Wars and I think it was Hunt the Wumpus.
    Last edited by ramzastrife; 11-16-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

TempestOne

What was your first video game experience?

I totally lost what people were saying in this post. LOL I thought this was such a good message, too. I tried to read it, like, twice over, as well.

*makes eating noises* I'd love to dive in Dragon Warrior culture because I have, um, Dragon Warrior VII sitting around waiting for me to pick it back up. Gosh, I remember having so much fun during that video game when I was really, really young. Like, I am barely, physically-speaking out of my teens, but I think we had some sort of earthquake that summer and I wound up neglecting it. Sad, really. I feel like I'd be such a good connoisseur for the title had that not happened. I actually remember accidently staying up for two days over a weekend or something playing Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King and I was like "Oh (expletive)" and saved, then turned the game off. I was so into it, also, but I didn't feel it was right to finish that adventure when I left the guy with the green hat hanging like that.

I was about five years old when I walked over to my grandmother's house and found my cousin playing Dragon Warrior on the NES. I was so utterly fascinated by it, I can still remember clearly everything he did during that play session. In days to come I'd watch him play Final Fantasy as well, and I remember asking him after he woke up the sleeping prince in Elfland how he did it. He told me he used an alarm clock. xD Eventually, my parents bought an NES for my brother's birthday after he promised to share it equally with me, and naturally we wanted to own the same cool games Jesse had. So we both have him to thank for our JRPG addiction.

I have to give a shout-out to one of the local video stores that no longer exists too, for stocking some niche gems like ActRaiser and Lunar:TSS. If it hadn't been for that, I may well have missed them (back in those days, all my gaming news came from seeing a title on a store or rental shelf).
    "Life is a serious battle, and you have to use the tools you're given. It's more important to master the cards you're holding than to complain about the ones your opponents were dealt." — Grimsley, Pokémon Black/White 2

TempestOne

What was your first video game experience?

Hey! I sent you a visitor thingy because you hadn't been signed on and posting.

I think role-playing games are more interesting. They're more detailed with things like item descriptions and whatnot and I like that because it's a tie-in to real life stuff at the same time. It makes me wonder if there are herbs in my household or if I have to do whatever like when I am hella old thinking it's important. Anyway, I was always the one person who'd hand out RPGs thinking I was, well, I wasn't thinking anything at the time but when my friends were having downtime drought, I'd be like "Here, play this." Then I'd go over to their household and I'd see a bunch of the games in that particular series scattered around their floor or something & I'd think to myself "good job" all evilly. LOL No, but really I just liked sharing RPG experiences.

I actually have come to find out that most people do not know what an RPG is in comparison to just the mainstays. So, I'd always be the one person to introduce them to something new.

*have been barely reading peoples' posts and having motormouth*
    Last edited by TempestOne; 11-22-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lirishae View Post
    I was about five years old when I walked over to my grandmother's house and found my cousin playing Dragon Warrior on the NES. I was so utterly fascinated by it, I can still remember clearly everything he did during that play session. In days to come I'd watch him play Final Fantasy as well, and I remember asking him after he woke up the sleeping prince in Elfland how he did it. He told me he used an alarm clock. xD Eventually, my parents bought an NES for my brother's birthday after he promised to share it equally with me, and naturally we wanted to own the same cool games Jesse had. So we both have him to thank for our JRPG addiction.

I have to give a shout-out to one of the local video stores that no longer exists too, for stocking some niche gems like ActRaiser and Lunar:TSS. If it hadn't been for that, I may well have missed them (back in those days, all my gaming news came from seeing a title on a store or rental shelf).
    ActRaiser. Awesome game. I haven't played it for years and was thinking about it lately. just had one delivered from Ebay. It's so inexpensive, everyone with an SNES should pick it up before it's too late.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast