Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy game request

I totally understand. I just feel like with the new resources like crowd funding things may move differently. Lunar was so important in my youth that I want more adventures to go on. Maybe get everyone in the same room and get some jäger bombs going! That would ease the tension! Check out this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...es-of-numenera. They brought back a whole team (stretch goals) and got the rights for an over 10 year old sequel. Regardless Vic, I will always support you guys and buy every project.

Yeah, I have just heard a lot of things about how it isn't as appealing to Japanese and complicated things like that, and that is for somethings that were way less complicated than the Lunar situation. You never know though, I know it isn't as drastic of a situation, but Square-Enix did get a decent amount of the Cavia team back for Drakengard 3(Drag-on Dragoon 3).

Maybe enough time has passed for wounds to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Muyguapogrant View Post
    Maybe enough time has passed for wounds to heal.

Hope Springs Eternal.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's very very complicated, and I don't see the possibility right now.

Absolutely. Always be positive.

I would be very interested in a Lunar IV, myself, but it does seem like franchises become more inactive once the creator passes on, as had happened to the creator of Lunar. Let's say that a Kickstarter did get started for a new Lunar game...... here are a few things to think about:

1. Divinity's success on Kickstarter wasn't a fluke, just like a new Ultima spin-off game, and a new game by Obsidian were not flukes to become extremely successful on Kickstarter. Even if Class of Heroes 1 was great, that still would've meant a tough road to even get to the finish. Kickstarter's general demographic, though it isn't everybody, are people who love computer role playing games, who see PCs as vastly superior to consoles and they also see Japanese console role playing games as being inferior to western developed computer ones. They will shovel out lots of money to a legacy-bound series, or company, because they grew up with the interaction and character customization of dungeons and dragons and nostalgia can be a huge fusion device to it, which is why they also don't mind retro games. I will say, though, if you advertised that the new Lunar game will be on a PC, at least, than it may be easier to get funding for it.

2. You will have to live with the fact that Lunar: Dragonsong AKA Lunar: Genesis is Lunar III. Gamearts isn't going to change the title of the game just because a majority of fans happened to not like the game. If you are OK with that small detail, than it is fine. Another question is how would the fans react to it? They, mostly, didn't like the last game so would they ignore it as a case of the same ole same ole if Gamearts put their branding on the project?

3. Kickstarter is not just, pretty much, a PC gaming operation, but also a western PC gaming operation. How much of a Japanese base is even on Kickstarter? Usually I see American companies, or European companies , on Kickstarter, to put their games up for funding consideration. Yeah, Vic put up Class of Heroes II on Kickstarter, but that was a case of localization and not a case of a Japanese company stepping into the gauntlet of the program. The idea of two big companies for one Kickstarter would also play a dynamic. Personally I wouldn't mind if there was a KS showing a Japanese company and a American or European company working together to create a new RPG for eastern and western consumption.

4. What would it go on? The PS Vita? If you want Kickstarter to fund a new Lunar game, you will have to put it on a machine that people would want it on, and I have a feeling that people would fund it more if it was a newer product.

5. Who will endorse the project once successful? Shroud of the Avatar's Kickstarter endorsed the Divinity one after being successful, because of a very similar mindset and way of doing things. As we would be following unprecedented ground, who would even endorse the project to make sure that it gets extra funding?

All of this may not have a factor in the end result of the hypothetical scenario that we are talking about here. But they all have to be thought of to be able to carefully analyze the situation. Personally, it would be more applicable if the Sega Saturn version of Lunar: Walking School were to be remade and localized. As we are on the subject of sequels to properties localized by Working Designs, in the past, what about an Alundra III?
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

1. Absolutely agreed. However, lets change the idea to a movie: look at the evil dead franchise: it's been absent for 21 years (spare comics and sculptures etc). It was "remade" and opened up to number one and pulled in 50 million in the U.S alone. Nostalgia will bring them.
    2. Dragon song was never called lunar 3, so it's more of an off shoot. Most fans can live with that. Was ewoks battle for endor Star Wars 7 or was it its own thing?
    3. Totally western operation. That said, there are options for overseas such as PayPal and maybe their own versions. I just kickstarted a pc game that made 900k here but hit the million mark due to outside funding.
    4. Probably a console. As they're owned by more people than vitas maybe ps3/4 and PC to double money. Ni no kuni may have reintroduced traditional jrpgs to new fans.
    5. Destructoid, kotaku, siliconera all covered coh2 and that was a game without a following. If it was done and emails were sent out it would get covered (the children of the 80's and 90's who run those sites will crap bricks if it ever happened).
    I'd be all for alundra 3 (although they're way too hard for me, that style of game has always kicked my butt. I like to believe if the fans push, they may listen.

To Be Fair Celebappren, in the case of Class of Heroes, most of the people who played the first game didn't like it, and i'd even go as far to say less people have heard of it than Lunar.

Edit: Also if this DID happen, HCBailey is LPing the first game, and likely will do the 2nd at some point. If you need help spreading the word, if nothing Else, he could help (his number of subscribers are at least in the 5 digits)
    Last edited by Kou The Mad; 04-29-2013 at 08:17 PM.

That's why I consider 100k to be insane for a game that most people hated the first of!!! I think some out of the box thinking could really make it happen. (If it does I want to do voice work )

Quote Originally Posted by Muyguapogrant View Post
    1. Absolutely agreed. However, lets change the idea to a movie: look at the evil dead franchise: it's been absent for 21 years (spare comics and sculptures etc). It was "remade" and opened up to number one and pulled in 50 million in the U.S alone. Nostalgia will bring them.
    2. Dragon song was never called lunar 3, so it's more of an off shoot. Most fans can live with that. Was ewoks battle for endor Star Wars 7 or was it its own thing?
    3. Totally western operation. That said, there are options for overseas such as PayPal and maybe their own versions. I just kickstarted a pc game that made 900k here but hit the million mark due to outside funding.
    4. Probably a console. As they're owned by more people than vitas maybe ps3/4 and PC to double money. Ni no kuni may have reintroduced traditional jrpgs to new fans.
    5. Destructoid, kotaku, siliconera all covered coh2 and that was a game without a following. If it was done and emails were sent out it would get covered (the children of the 80's and 90's who run those sites will crap bricks if it ever happened).
    I'd be all for alundra 3 (although they're way too hard for me, that style of game has always kicked my butt. I like to believe if the fans push, they may listen.
    Warning: Long passage ahead.

Another important question here is how much should the funding limit be? A console game will probably have to take a lot more than just 100,000 dollars to be funded, though I think that it would be a very good idea to see it get a release on the PS3 or the PS4. As for Ni No Kuni, which looks outstanding BTW, I do hope that it has brought some people back to the genre. And, yes it has been a tradition to put out multiplatform releases as stretch goals. So that may help the funding.

Pertaining to Dragonsong, and yes this game will come up a good amount in here, you may have noticed but companies can go into an indefinite hiatus with a series when the latest entry gets a lot of miserable reviews. Look at Grandia Xtreme, and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. Now there has been a Grandia Online, which may have come out after Grandia Xtreme, and remade releases haven’t been outside those windows.

I think that Evil Dead is also not a good analogy to make, no offense to your intelligence, but I do know of a decent KS to look at as a basis for good funding potential. There was a KS for a console RPG called Echoes of Eternia which ended up getting, I think, 30,000 more dollars than its initial funding limit. For a game with no legacy, no fame and just a simple PC release I think that it does stand out. Obviously there is a small base to exploit from all of this, but we need to see if there is a much larger base than just that. We need to tap into people who are not part of the KS norm, and address them as a kind of KS “counterculture” that could turn things around on KS.

As for endorsements, what I mean are endorsements made by other Kickstarter moneymen and insider people. Certainly gaming web sites will give a lot of priority to news of a new Lunar KS. If this works out, I would heavily vouch for an Alundra III KS next.

And it could. Even if it is an uphill battle that would have to include a campaign to show audiences that a new Lunar game would fit in, well, with the rest of the series, Kou the Mad is right. Lunar has a legacy attached to it that Class of Heroes can only dream of, and it has a much more successful history. When I think of Working Designs, I think of Lunar.

And lots of people probably do also. To hear that the people behind Working Designs will work on a new Lunar game, will excite so many people and all of the remarks puzzled over localizing the second Class of Heroes game will not be there. Even though WD has a new name, I still think that there is no better way to establish a succcessive company than re-establishing a brand to resurrect the identity that fans do love. Your games had anime cutscenes, voiceacting, third person console RPG models, usually. If you guys can be able to do it, now I am starting to sound like Muy here, I can see you guys returning back to the collector’s edition days of the past.

It would also revolutionize Kickstarter. Now fans will not just see it as a way to go beyond the publishers, but as a way to bring Japanese and western companies closer together, as fans will find it easier to interact with them in a more personal, and dynamic way. Japanese developers will see it as an entrance to be able to see career revivals.

Oh, and there are a few things that I would put in consideration that would help the overall KS strategy. First, in order to eliminate misgivings about a Lunar: Dragonsong II I would initiate slightly deep fan involvement. Possibly people who only make pledges can be able to do it, but I would advertise that some of the lucky pledges will actually get to work on the game a little bit, programming, writing, etc. That way the fans can be able to present a Lunar III in the way they see it. I can see a problem, however, if this becomes another Mega Man Legends III.

I can already think of an interesting reward. There was a game removed from the Wiiware service, in NA, a few years ago, called the Magical Obelisk and it was never revived even though I haven’t heard anything hateful about it. That game was developed by Gamearts. I don’t know how much motion control was required but to allow a digital copy of it for western audiences pledging into the game would be nice.
    Another regular at the cyber-bar. Getting drunk on bandwidth.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast