Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your most anticipated game of 2014?

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I'm looking forward to Stick of Truth as well, did it finally get a release date set?

Yes. March 4th. Too much coming out around it for me, plus I'm guessing I will be able to get the CE for less at Gamestop down the line.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    Well we aren't that far away now. Definitely leaving mine sealed for a bit.

@LoP: Yeah South Park and Witch both had massive delays. Could have both been 2013 games.
    Doesn't having constant delays usually end up with having a bad game (rather than a stellar product) when it finally gets released? I think I posted this question somewhere before with an example of the pirate game (name eludes me) that was in development for like 6 to 7 years for original XBOX and when it was finally released, it was a complete dud.

Well the delays on these weren't too bad. Though it was pretty clear that NIS didn't care about Witch compared to other titles. Still, I'm getting Witch for collection purposes at worst and I want to give the South Park game a chance.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 02-07-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Daikatana is my favorite example. That said, I like Obsidian and Witch was a case of staff being pulled for Disgaea D2 (I think?), so I'm not too worried. Watch Dogs got delayed as well but I suspect that was a matter of not wanting to compete with Battlebro 4 or Ghosts and had very little to do with 'polishing' or what have you.

Bravely Default! But the anticipation ends today when I pick it up after work!

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Bravely Default! But the anticipation ends today when I pick it up after work!
    Let me know how the full game is. Honestly, I think that the reviews are pretty low for a game that was so highly hyped. A lot of "B" and "C" reviews for a game that was supposed to be the savior of Squeenix. It just seemed a little boring, grindy, and tedious from what I played of the demo. People like it because it's a throwback, but that doesn't automatically make a game good.

I think that we automatically have a skewed view on Square-Enix when they release good RPGs, considering that they've released so many bad games over the past decade or so. Their "good" games are merely average if you remove their brand from the product.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 02-08-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Let me know how the full game is. Honestly, I think that the reviews are pretty low for a game that was so highly hyped. A lot of "B" and "C" reviews for a game that was supposed to be the savior of Squeenix. It just seemed a little boring, grindy, and tedious from what I played of the demo. People like it because it's a throwback, but that doesn't automatically make a game good.

I think that we we automatically have a skewed view on Square-Enix when the release good RPGs, considering that they've released so many bad games over the past decade or so. Their "good" games are merely average if you remove their brand from the product.
    You are right about SE. People want to like them, they remember the glory days of Square and Enix but the truth is well...they just are not putting out good games lately.

Their library during the PS360 era speaks for itself. I don't think I have a single SE game for PS3 or 360 except Infinite Undiscovery which is okay. I really like Dragon Quest and IX was great and maybe it's for the best but the series has one game released every 4 years or so lately. Oh and don't get me started on X being an MMO.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    You are right about SE. People want to like them, they remember the glory days of Square and Enix but the truth is well...they just are not putting out good games lately.

Their library during the PS360 era speaks for itself. I don't think I have a single SE game for PS3 or 360 except Infinite Undiscovery which is okay. I really like Dragon Quest and IX was great and maybe it's for the best but the series has one game released every 4 years or so lately. Oh and don't get me started on X being an MMO.
    I played through Infinite Undiscovery from beginning to end and left just about no stone un-turned, aside from that final secret dungeon where you get to find a certain secret character. I honestly still don't get why people think that the game is so bad, but I'm sure that there are plenty of people that question my opinion on games as well. Everyone's got their favorites.

Most of S-E's best games since the merger have been through third-party developers. Whether it is Tri-Ace's Star Ocean games (the PS2 game was an Enix title in Japan), the Valkyrie Profile series (first game was Enix) , Cavia's Nier and Drakengard (first game was originally an Enix project before the merger), or Dragon Quest VIII (awesome game) which was Level 5 (and originally Enix, pre-merger). I've been very partial to most of these products, and they weren't even in-house efforts. And most would be considered the "Enix" side of business if you consider that's where all of these business relationships started with the developers.

Bravely Default is the same way (developed by SIlicon Studio rather than in-house), so maybe it is good after all.

Yeah it's not a terrible game. I didn't know people felt that way about it. I think the reviews mostly indicated an average JRPG score with the typical problems reviewers find in most JRPGs. People like to complain about battle systems when they have trouble with them from my experience reading reviews and peoples posts about games like Magna Carta, IU etc...IT'S CLUMSY, NON-INTUITIVE, TRYING TOO HARD etc...

Except for Nier/Drakengard I really like all those series as well. PS2/DS era SE put out some good games for sure. The DS had a long run (in terms of games being made, not retail availability) so it ran through home console generations but I definitely group it with Xbox/PS2/Gamecube. I think "officially" it's grouped with PS360. Though really, handhelds are completely separate entities from home consoles. I'd put the DS and PSP RPG libraries up against any other console and you could probably argue either way against consoles like the PS1/2 and SNES while they just blow others out of the water. I'm not even sure how I got on this tangent....I'll stop now...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast