Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP Vs. Vita. DS Lite Vs. 3DS.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost

PSP Vs. Vita. DS Lite Vs. 3DS.

I have wanted to pick up a PSP for years. At $99, it seems like a great value. I don't really care about having the latest in technology. There are lots of great games in the library. And I need something to play Class of Heroes 2. :-)

So, would anyone suggest a Vita over a PSP? If so, for which reasons aside from PSP getting fewer new games. I don't like the fact that it can't play UMD games and the backward compatibility is only through PSN.

Additionally, I'm going to pick up DS really soon. Unlike the Vita, thus has real backward compatibility with most DS carts. Same question here. Is the general consensus that it is better to buy 3DS yet? Or stick with DS Lite?

For a DS, I would hold out for a 3DS XL at this point, considering where prices are at. The only way Nintendo is going to successfully evolve the 3DS further is by making a 3DS player for the Wii U, and as much as I'd like to see it, it's not likely to happen any time soon.

I won't lie, the bulk of my Sony handheld gaming is done on my PS Vita, but I've been extravagant, packing two 32 GB memory cards along with it. The PS Vita support of PSP games isn't fantastic, but it's really solid nonetheless. Enough that PSP games count for quite a bit of my usage. Also, the Vita's recent lineup and pipeline are looking great, with Persona 4 Golden, Ragnarok Odyssey, Soul Sacrifice, Ys: Memories of Celceta, and Valhalla Knights 3. There's also that great Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki remake if you're into importing.

If you take the PSP route instead, make sure you get a 2000 or 3000 model with a set of component cables, because the real draw of the PSP these days is being able to get all those fantastic games on the TV where they truly belong, and that will be a great way to play Class of Heroes 2.

263157_10200376242022454_744934697_n.jpg

This puts a huge grin on my face every time I start it up.

PSP is even cheaper then that if you buy used, its not very hard to get a complete working one for less then $50. Plus games on UMD are incredibly cheap, and the PSP remains the only handheld with built in video output.

I own all four. PSP for UMD games, Vita for Vita and PSP digital games, DS Lite for GBA games, 3DS for 3DS and DS games.

Definitely go for a 3DS of some variety. Depending on your tastes, the regular is fine, but 3DS's longer battery life and larger screens are reason enough to go up to XL if you'd care to. They're both solid choices, regardless, with tons of games both out now and coming soon.

If you're looking for an older DS because of the GBA compatibility, I'd actually just suggest going for 3DS, and then getting a GBA SP, which has the compatibility for all Gameboy iterations (GB, GBC, GBA).

You know, I considered investing in a DS Lite again so I could play my GBA games...

Until I found an AGS-101 model GBA SP (the one with the bright light) for under $40. I got that instead! hehe. I actually still have my PSP (I should really get a 32gb memory stick for it. I only have a 16gb right now), and although much of my PSP library is digital due to owning a Vita, I still have imports I play on it: like Breath of Fire III, Tales of Eternia, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, and YGO Tag Force 3 (which was the odd one out in the series and only got released in Europe and Asia, afaik). I also have a 3DS, which plays the entire DS and 3DS collection I currently have.

PSP games on UMD are cheap?! Depends on the game. Phantasy Star Portable 2 isn't exactly cheap these days...

I've bought about 30 UMD games new for $10 or less over the last half year, so I'd say they're cheap. There are some games that have gone way up in price but not too many.

Wow, what ones?

Quote Originally Posted by PW_Patrick View Post
    Wow, what ones?
    Took a look at my records to be sure. In no particular order (ended up being 37 games total):

$4 - PQ: Practical Intelligence Quotient
    $7 - Final Fantasy
    $5 - Final Fantasy II
    $10 - Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection
    $10 - Crush
    $10 - Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice
    $10 - The 3rd Birthday
    $10 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    $10 - Dissidia 012 Duodecim
    $10 - Silent Hill Origins
    $10 - Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    $10 - Astonishia Story
    $10 - Killzone: Liberation
    $10 - Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony
    $4 - Every Extended Extra
    $7 - EyePet Bundle (came w/PSP Camera)
    $3 - Beowulf: The Game
    $9 - Death Jr. 2: Root of Evil
    $5 - Tokobot
    $8 - PoPoLoCrois
    $9 - GripShift
    $8 - Wipeout Pulse
    $7 - Dead Head Fred
    $5 - Mercury and Mercury Meltdown 2 Pack
    $7 - PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe
    $5 - Fat Princess: Fi****l of Cake
    $5 - Alien Syndrome
    $4 - Rengoku II
    $7 - Twisted Metal: Head-On
    $9 - Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!
    $8 - Syphon Filter: Logans Shadow
    $8 - Jeanne D'arc
    $7 - LocoRoco 2
    $9 - Fate/Extra
    $6 - Pangya: Fantasy Golf
    $7 - Secret Agent Clank
    $9 - Star Ocean: First Departure

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    $10 - The 3rd Birthday
    $10 - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    $10 - Dissidia 012 Duodecim
    $4 - Every Extended Extra