Page 3 of 203 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 2025

Thread: The Music Thread.

  1. #21
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,273
    I'll listen to basically anything based on the same logic that I'll just pick bands/musicians that I like. Though I do slant towards metal and classic country.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

  2. #22
    Eric Martin, who is the singer for Mr. Big, has a fairly decent solo run in Japan. This includes a set of CD's he has released named "Mr. Vocalist" which are collections of cover songs. The twist is, for #1 and #3, he takes Japanese pop songs and does them in his style, and in English. For #2, he does popular (female voiced) American songs in the same style. Here's a few samples:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-gri7P-JH0 From #1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQF8v7Hhfo From #2 (Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton cover)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoDqigcvKTQ From #3

    Not my typical Metal but really cool, emotional stuff with just that small tinge of Japanese cheese we all love

  3. #23
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,788
    Northern Kings is good metal pop cover cheese that you might be interested in .

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    Northern Kings is good metal pop cover cheese that you might be interested in .
    I like them! To an extent... the duelling vocalist thing kind of throws me off, especially when they go from a singer I like to one I do not like. I like the idea though!

  5. #25
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,788
    Which vocalist in particular? I like all of them, though I'm not familiar with the other bands Juha-Pekka is in.

  6. #26
    Kakko is the only vocalist I really like in the band. The guy from Nightwish is ok as well. Don't get me wrong, I like the band fine... the other vocalists are ok.. I just wish it was all Kakko!

  7. #27
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    Kakko is the only vocalist I really like in the band. The guy from Nightwish is ok as well. Don't get me wrong, I like the band fine... the other vocalists are ok.. I just wish it was all Kakko!
    Sonata Arctica covers pop ? I'm glad that SA seem to be getting things back on track, Unia onwards has been disappointing, I know it can't all be Winterheart's Guild but I can dream!

  8. #28
    Senior Member zborgerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Posts
    9,386
    Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    Eric Martin, who is the singer for Mr. Big, has a fairly decent solo run in Japan. This includes a set of CD's he has released named "Mr. Vocalist" which are collections of cover songs. The twist is, for #1 and #3, he takes Japanese pop songs and does them in his style, and in English. For #2, he does popular (female voiced) American songs in the same style. Here's a few samples:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-gri7P-JH0 From #1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQF8v7Hhfo From #2 (Unbreak My Heart by Toni Braxton cover)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoDqigcvKTQ From #3

    Not my typical Metal but really cool, emotional stuff with just that small tinge of Japanese cheese we all love
    Wow. That guy cut off all of his hair after the 90s and looks a lot less like a really ugly lady. Never was a fan of his sound. "To be with you" was way overplayed, back when MTV actually used to play music.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Lord of Pirates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Posts
    5,788
    Ripping a stack of 20some CDs as I listen to some... Smashmouth XD.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Gypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Moat of Pain
    Posts
    19,273
    I probably mentioned him before in this thread but lately I've been binging on the Dutch master Arjen Anthony Lucassen. Best musician to come from this region? I have no doubts.

    I would love a third Star One album.

    Seems like he has been working on a new project called The Gentle Storm. I am in fact cancelling my Omega Quintet pre-order to buy this CD.

    Edit: Clearly I was just looking for an excuse to cancel it, lol.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 04-03-2015 at 10:38 PM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Page 3 of 203 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •