Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP Mystery RPG - Playing Sherlock Holmes here ;)

It's probably tough to expect a company to commit to releasing all games in a series if the original game bombs and they lose money. sure some times there may be a plan to take the pain on the first game in the hope that the second game will improve via word of mouth... but if you are a really small company this isn't always possible. Pretty sure they've mentioned that RGC and HMH sold really really poorly for them too

The Kiseki games are a challenge too, considering their length.. and while they did put SC on the backlog after the sales of the PSP game, the PC release this year seems to have put them back on track and I expect we will see more of them in the future

But I totally get people being disappointed... in a perfect world every game release would be translated and released worldwide.. but sadly that's never going to happen

I wonder when there will be an update about the mystery psp game

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion-X View Post
    It's probably tough to expect a company to commit to releasing all games in a series if the original game bombs and they lose money. sure some times there may be a plan to take the pain on the first game in the hope that the second game will improve via word of mouth... but if you are a really small company this isn't always possible. Pretty sure they've mentioned that RGC and HMH sold really really poorly for them too

The Kiseki games are a challenge too, considering their length.. and while they did put SC on the backlog after the sales of the PSP game, the PC release this year seems to have put them back on track and I expect we will see more of them in the future

But I totally get people being disappointed... in a perfect world every game release would be translated and released worldwide.. but sadly that's never going to happen
    I have trouble believing that Retro Game Challenge was a loss, considering that it had sold out to the point of being moderately collectible. You can't buy it complete for less than $40, which is a lot for a DS game.

Also tired of excuses for Trails. No offense personally, I just hear it all the time. Even back when the PSP was still viable, there was always the option of a PC release as well. Or even PS3. It's not like Falcom hasn't put these games on about half a dozen platforms. XSeed stated that the first game was one of their most successful PC releases. The localization that they promised a year ago seems like a pipedream now.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 11-15-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion-X View Post

Like zborgerd said, I am tired of excuses. I know you are just towing the company line. But each of those arguments has serious holes in them.

About sales- I can give you one of those series- but when there are multiple examples of series not being continued, it develops an awful trend. Sure, if one was a bomb it might be hard to translate the next one. But if you have three or four "bombs" that don't end up getting continued, you need to look at your market research and find out what is wrong. Maybe they are bringing out the wrong games and focusing on the wrong stuff. At the same time, JRPGs are extremely niche. You can't expect COD-like numbers for them. So you might have to look outside the box for solutions (love or hate Vic Ireland, this is what he did with COH2) and XSEED seems to be unwilling to do that.

Kiseki games are long. People like throwing out that stupid picture of the script books. That is fine, but guess what? They knew that when they took on the project. It isn't like they suddenly realized after the first game was released that there is a lot of translating to do. It goes back to my market research comment. If it isn't viable to do a three part, interrelated game series.. don't do the first one. This series could be their flagship, be what Lunar was to Working Designs.. with a lot more games to be released. Unfortunately, the way it has been handled will end up leaving a lot of holes in the series for us. At this point, I just hope they can bite the bullet and get the third one out, then focus on translating the newest games in the series and backfilling where viable.

I know I might sound anti-XSEED, and I am really not. Their online mouthpiece, Tom, seems like a great guy and posts all over the place and is someone I respect highly. I want them to succeed. I won't go out of my way to purchase an XSEED title I am not interested in, like I used to. That is how I got into Unchained Blades in the first place, even though at the time I hated dungeon crawlers. I want to see them use a very popular series (Kiseki) as their flagship and make lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    I wonder when there will be an update about the mystery psp game
    Seems like CoH2G games will be shipping in 2-3 weeks I bet after that. I expect Vic to pop up till he gets into the next game. Maybe December or New Years?

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    Like zborgerd said, I am tired of excuses. I know you are just towing the company line. But each of those arguments has serious holes in them.

About sales- I can give you one of those series- but when there are multiple examples of series not being continued, it develops an awful trend. Sure, if one was a bomb it might be hard to translate the next one. But if you have three or four "bombs" that don't end up getting continued, you need to look at your market research and find out what is wrong. Maybe they are bringing out the wrong games and focusing on the wrong stuff. At the same time, JRPGs are extremely niche. You can't expect COD-like numbers for them. So you might have to look outside the box for solutions (love or hate Vic Ireland, this is what he did with COH2) and XSEED seems to be unwilling to do that.

Kiseki games are long. People like throwing out that stupid picture of the script books. That is fine, but guess what? They knew that when they took on the project. It isn't like they suddenly realized after the first game was released that there is a lot of translating to do. It goes back to my market research comment. If it isn't viable to do a three part, interrelated game series.. don't do the first one. This series could be their flagship, be what Lunar was to Working Designs.. with a lot more games to be released. Unfortunately, the way it has been handled will end up leaving a lot of holes in the series for us. At this point, I just hope they can bite the bullet and get the third one out, then focus on translating the newest games in the series and backfilling where viable.

I know I might sound anti-XSEED, and I am really not. Their online mouthpiece, Tom, seems like a great guy and posts all over the place and is someone I respect highly. I want them to succeed. I won't go out of my way to purchase an XSEED title I am not interested in, like I used to. That is how I got into Unchained Blades in the first place, even though at the time I hated dungeon crawlers. I want to see them use a very popular series (Kiseki) as their flagship and make lots of money.
    Couple of things here. Initially, there are a lot of things about the contracts that these companies sign that we will never know. We don't know what they are paying the Japanese dev, we don't know if its based on a per unit sales or if it is a balloon up front, or a mixture of both. I know a lot of us think that many of these companies would just want more money for their work, or more popularity worldwide, but this isn't always the case. Sometimes, if you can't guarantee or aren't willing to pay them like there are going to be X number of sales, they don't want you to cheapen their brand. Also when you deal in niche games, sometimes you take a chance on a game because it is neat or cool. As with these games, people didn't buy them or didn't buy enough of them to make going after sequels. I know Half-Minute-Hero sold like **** on PSP, though it sold well enough on steam to warrant the release of the 2nd one on steam.

They have been working on SC since FC came out. It hasn't been a priority, which is unfortunate, but they have been working on it. FC sold ok on PSP, but not great, which makes it hard to devote a ton of resources to working on it. It has sold well on steam, though it still has not outsold the Ys games. I imagine that SC will sell very well provided they don't overprice it. Steam as a platform is huge on its reach and the community is hungry for JRPGs. I actually have suspicions that they are already working on TC, but until we get a confirmation, we will never know. You have to remember though, there is a reason SE and Nintendo aren't bringing over DQVII for 3DS. It is long as hell, would be a ton of work, and don't expect much money out of it. As a fan, it hurts, but from a business perspective it kinda makes sense. If you factor out fan goodwill, which many companies could give 2 shits about, would you personally want to work your ass off all day and only make 10 bucks? I know I wouldn't, my time is more valuable than that. I know that is overly simplified, but it is basically what SE is saying. They don't want to mow your yard, trim your bushes, paint your house, and clean out your rain gutters and only make 10 bucks.

Lastly, all the comparisons to Vic and Gaijinworks are laughable. I love Vic, and Love Working Designs, but Vic is not beholden to a parent corporation. He doesn't have to answer to a Japanese company that owns him. His minmums for COH2 are ridiculously low (somewhere around 10,000) which hasn't happened, partially because of the EU PSN PEGI and the drop of the PSN on PSPs. We are also looking at getting COH2G, a year and a half after COH2. XSEED has no programmers on staff. they contract Sara for PC stuff, but for anything else they need the developer to do their localization programming.

edit: interesting **** gets caught by the filter but not shits. The more you know!
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post

This is how I feel about it as well, with people citing that image of the scripts. It doesn't appear to be an issue of game length as much as it is managerial decisions and a lack of resources that XSEED seems to actually have. Instead, they've directed their resources to other games. In particular, Marvelous stuff (not surprisingly). Marvelous in Japan developed or published Senran Kagura, Rune Factory, Valhalla Knights, Half-Minute Hero, and technically Last Story (AQ Interactive). The Marvelous games more or less doubled or tripled over the past few years, compared to some of the other stuff that they had been focusing on, like Falcom titles.

It all happens to coincide with the Marvelous AQL merger of 2011.

Sales wise- there has to be answer. There is definitely a demand. Even for a game like Half Minute Hero, which sold bad- there was a demand for a second one. It did OK when the second one came out. Same with something like Valkyria Chronicles. There was a high demand for 3, and guess what- VC1 sold well on PC. Companies just need to find the proper balance to supply and demand, and price accordingly. As far as Kiseki goes- for it to get popular, it needs to have a presence in the US and it will be big. They need to catch up and get it up to date on modern consoles- a PSP game just isn't ideal for this right now, as much as we love our PSPs.

Square Enix's problems with Dragon Quest are a whole different issue. They just need to realize that it isn't as popular as, say, Final Fantasy- focus on doing more with special editions and doing smaller runs. DQ doesn't need to be in every Walmart in America. It is much more niche than FF and some of their larger, non-RPG series.

I emailed Xseed once and got a pissed off reply from Ken. I stated something along the lines of they could release a small run of SC and still do a digital and please the fans with a physical copy because there are people like me who wont buy digitals. They could have gone kickstarter like many others before them.

Quote Originally Posted by mathiue777 View Post
    I emailed Xseed once and got a pissed off reply from Ken. I stated something along the lines of they could release a small run of SC and still do a digital and please the fans with a physical copy because there are people like me who wont buy digitals. They could have gone kickstarter like many others before them.
    I remember on the XSEED forums ken said they could possibly mabye release the ps3 version physically.

Page 37 of 87 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast