Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RayStorm (PS1 Working Designs): Did anyone ever win the $10,000 contest?

Hybrid View

RayStorm (PS1 Working Designs): Did anyone ever win the $10,000 contest?

I think it was for getting the highest score or something. Just got the game today and was looking over the manual. Did anyone ever win the prize?

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I think it was for getting the highest score or something. Just got the game today and was looking over the manual. Did anyone ever win the prize?

EDIT: Corrected in post 25 below. I was thinking about RayCrisis contest when making the reply below - NOT RayStorm.

That one was a shocker. We only got a few entries and ALL of them arrived after the deadline. Not hours late, but days late, so no prize. Only time that happened with a contest we did.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    That one was a shocker. We only got a few entries and ALL of them arrived after the deadline. Not hours late, but days late, so no prize. Only time that happened with a contest we did.
    is this right? I thought that was what happened with Raycrisis. Except the prize for that was a Revenge From Mars pinball machine (which almost seems better than $10k)

I actually remember submitting a modest score for Raystorm and having it accepted only to be absolutely destroyed by (unsurprisingly) an Asian guy who somehow managed to get like 50x the score of everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    is this right? I thought that was what happened with Raycrisis. Except the prize for that was a Revenge From Mars pinball machine (which almost seems better than $10k)

I actually remember submitting a modest score for Raystorm and having it accepted only to be absolutely destroyed by (unsurprisingly) an Asian guy who somehow managed to get like 50x the score of everyone else.
    Wait, maybe you're right about that. I forgot we had two contents Raystorm/Crisis. The one with no winner was definitely RayCrisis and the Revenge From Mars because we had already bought it in anticipation of awarding it and with no winner, it became an office Pinball.

It's been so long ago it's hard to remember, but I know on one of the contests (not Shining Wisdom for sure) the winner was a pain to deal with. Might have been the RayStorm one, since the one I'm thinking of was a cash prize.

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    It's been so long ago it's hard to remember, but I know on one of the contests (not Shining Wisdom for sure) the winner was a pain to deal with. Might have been the RayStorm one, since the one I'm thinking of was a cash prize.
    I understand that we probably can't get more info on this, but I can't imagine anyone being difficult to deal with when they're receiving 10K.

I remember who the winners were of the Shining Wisdom and Elemental Gearbolt contests, and I seem to remember seeing the tape from the winner of Thunder Force V. Can't recall the Raystorm winner though.

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJS82 View Post
    and I seem to remember seeing the tape from the winner of Thunder Force V.
    I know its been almost 20 years, but if you did see that tape, do you remember what that guy did to get such a high score?
    I thought I was good at Thunder Force V, but pulling out all the tricks I could find including using the one hidden ship that gave a score bonus, even being able to 1 life the game I think I still wasn't even able to crack half of what the top score was. Insane.

Wait does that mean if a single person had sent in, they would have automatically won, what were the requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Wait does that mean if a single person had sent in, they would have automatically won, what were the requirements?
    I don't remember the actual requirements offhand, but I think it was simply a "record yourself beginning to end with specific ships and lives and highest score wins."

So yes, if a single person had sent in even a mediocre score and got it to us in time, they would have won.

Last edited by storino03; 03-20-2014 at 04:36 AM.

I know there are some hardcore shump people, and hardcore Fighter people, they have hand eye coordination that JRPG, and even FPS people could only dream of. Figured one person would try for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast