Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Virtual Boy: Your thoughts?

Nintendo Virtual Boy: Your thoughts?

I remember playing it on a kiosk at Target back in the day, but never got the system. Is it a good system to play? Is it true that your eyes hurt after 30min?

Always wanted one, but am worried I'll get one that's missing this or that or has problems with the display itself.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    I'll let you in on a story. It might get me some hate, but it's funny nonetheless.

Back in 1999, I and some friends were involved in the Dreamcast launch. To commemorate the launch of the domestic Dreamcast on the morning of 9/9/99 (we had been playing the import for a year), a large wooden hammer, painted orange with a Dreamcast swirl, was created. The hammer was some leftover prop that a friend had for some theater thing or something along those lines. This hammer would be used to smash an MIB Virtual Boy to a million tiny pieces.

It's true. Yeah, it seems like a thing that should not be tolerated by collectors, but at the time everyone hated the Virtual Boy and it was considered gaming's biggest failure. It only seemed fitting. Pieces of the LCD glass were scattered about the room and were found for months. I don't think that I have pictures of what would be the only Virtual Boy (to my knowledge) to be smashed by a giant wooden SEGA Dreamcast hammer.

That's what I think about the Virtual Boy. I guess it's starting to gain a marginal value from collectors, but back then you couldn't give them away.

I have no interest in ever owning one. I think they are for gotta have every console ever made collectors only.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Why for the life of me would anyone want to have that in their video game system collection is beyond me.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by almighty View Post
    Why for the life of me would anyone want to have that in their video game system collection is beyond me.
    I think it has just as much of a place as any of the other game systems. I've got a few Atari consoles, Odyssey 2, etc. I'd like an Intellivision and Colecovision. Some people collect a bit of everything. It's an interesting part of gaming history but Virtual Boy just isn't very playable. It's fascinating at how Nintendo didn't give up with virtual / 3D technology and the 3DS became a success.

It's at that point where it's getting harder to find and some people want stupid amounts of money for it. I just wouldn't pay much for it,

I remember when I first played it at a Kohls store. It was right next to a Playstation demo unit. Guess which one got more play?

I wouldn't mind having one to mess with. I doubt I'd play it all that much really unless something was actually fun.

I love my Virtual Boys, but I also tend to like things most other people don't. If you're interested, a great place to get some info is PlantVB. We're all very fanboyish over the thing there, but people are making new games and cartridges for it, so it's a lot of fun to be involved in.

The reason I collect Virtual Boy is because it's relatively easy to own a full collection in box... there are only 14 US games and maybe 18 JP games total? It's not a big collection. And I get to say "I own every game released for this machine", which is neat. I'll never have a complete US NES collection, for instance. One downside to Virtual Boys is that they're very prone to bad/glitchy displays due to the way they work internally. But there's usually someone on the forums willing to perform a solder fix for relatively cheap, and then it's never a problem again.

I've never had headaches with the VB. So long as you adjust the eyestuff it's fine. I used to play Galactic Pinball for hours.

VB is a system I want to own at some point. It just seems like an enigma to me, I'm curious to try it out and it's not crazy expensive.

I don't really collect consoles as much as I do games, but there are a couple titles I would not mind owning like the Gundam game. That said I don't want to play the system. It looks terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by almighty View Post
    The controller is smexy in the hands. Very nice controller feel and usability. The best feature of the system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast