Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Was there any consideration of a Lunar 3 back in the day?

I really enjoyed Grandia 1 and 2 (dreamcast version). The first one I think had a better cast of characters, but the 2nd one felt more streamlined.

However the rest of the series may as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.

I could never get myself to beat Grandia 3. I stopped after reaching Disc 2. And Grandia Xtreme was mostly a dungeon-crawler, despite having Mark Hammel (from Star Wars) in it.

I played Grandia 3, beat it and still have in my collection. What exactly do most of you don't like about it?

well, the system of dragon song wasn't so much a problem. running and losing hp only in dungeon but not in town. plus this system was design to force the player to walk and avoid at most the battle. when walking you don't lose anything. also when going sufficiently far in the game you can run heart a plenty without giving any consideration to hp loss...

what really kills the serie with this game was in fact the poor story line, the end in sailormoon way or some story problem like one character on the cover can be played up to 10 minutes in the game and never to be seen after that. the combat system was also rigid. overall a weak rpg of course but not becaue you can't run as much as you want... it is also very short, 15h-20h max if i am right...

when the psp version came, it was also suggested that the true lunar 3 would be an episode based on the new prologue and the story of Ghaléon. unfortunately the remake was so horrible that it didn't sold and all project were abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I think the first two entries are very solid. But from Grandia 3 onwards, it has been not very good. I do have a fair bit of nostalgia for the original though, so that may effect my views on them.
    Grandia extreme came out before 3, and 3 was the last game. So saying from 3 onwards, is one game.

Quote Originally Posted by sigfried View Post
    well, the system of dragon song wasn't so much a problem. running and losing hp only in dungeon but not in town. plus this system was design to force the player to walk and avoid at most the battle. when walking you don't lose anything. also when going sufficiently far in the game you can run heart a plenty without giving any consideration to hp loss...

what really kills the serie with this game was in fact the poor story line, the end in sailormoon way or some story problem like one character on the cover can be played up to 10 minutes in the game and never to be seen after that. the combat system was also rigid. overall a weak rpg of course but not becaue you can't run as much as you want... it is also very short, 15h-20h max if i am right...

when the psp version came, it was also suggested that the true lunar 3 would be an episode based on the new prologue and the story of Ghaléon. unfortunately the remake was so horrible that it didn't sold and all project were abandoned.
    Uh what about the fact that you need to chose item or experience as rewards. Or what about the fact you cannot target enemies if there are multiple eneimes, it randomly picks one for you. I'm sorry there is no way around the game had terrible gameplay, and I doubt people got far enough to even bother with the story because of it.

The psp lunar silver star harmony I liked. I never beat it through (beat the Sega CD version only), even though I have the playstation complete version as well

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I played Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast and thought that it was overrated. I was at the last area. It had terrible level designs and the only thing that kept it interesting were about half of the characters and their voice cast; Cam Clark, Jodi Bensen, and Paul Eiding. The rest of the characters were annoying and forgettable.

I also have the first game but have only played a few minutes of it. It seems to get the best reception though.
    It didn't help that the plot was very generic. In games where the plot is boring you would like for other aspects of the game to make up for it and that just never really happens in Grandia 2.

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Grandia extreme came out before 3, and 3 was the last game. So saying from 3 onwards, is one game.
    Xtreme is a side game though. Calling it Grandia 3 would be like calling Suikogaiden Suikoden 3.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    The psp lunar silver star harmony I liked. I never beat it through (beat the Sega CD version only), even though I have the playstation complete version as well
    The PS1 versions are worth playing imo. I like them better but the SCD versions still hold up today as well.
    Last edited by Gypsy; 04-05-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Grandia Xtreme coming out between Grandia 2 and Grandia 3 means that it was not, contrary to a claim made earlier in this thread, Grandia 4.

Lunar Dragon Song may have been Lunar 3 though. I'd just like to see a *real* Lunar 3 come along.

I was actually somewhat disappointed with the PSP Lunar Silver Star Harmony. It may sound petty, but I just had a hard time accepting the way the game broke the maps up into chunks the PSP could handle. I've said elsewhere (on these boards and other boards) that the PS1 version of the two Lunars are technologically superior to the SegaCD versions, but they lost some intangibles in the double ports (SegaCD to whatever to Playstation). Those intangibles really made Lunar on the SegaCD a great game, and without those, the Playstation games were good, but not as good as the SegaCD games, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    It didn't help that the plot was very generic. In games where the plot is boring you would like for other aspects of the game to make up for it and that just never really happens in Grandia 2.

Xtreme is a side game though. Calling it Grandia 3 would be like calling Suikogaiden Suikoden 3.

The PS1 versions are worth playing imo. I like them better but the SCD versions still hold up today as well.
    Gypsy you misunderstood. He said the series got worse from 3 on. I pointed out that Extreme is before 3, hence would not count going by his statement. So he is really saying only Grandia 3 is bad, just interpreting his line. I am not calling extreme 3.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast