Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Was there any consideration of a Lunar 3 back in the day?

Trust me you are not the only one who dislikes early CG stuff. It looks like a joke now.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gypsy View Post
    Trust me you are not the only one who dislikes early CG stuff. It looks like a joke now.
    Your post reminds me of the PS1 FF6 intro lol. It looked like a dog somehow chewed on the digital film (from what I remember, I haven't seen it in a long time).

Quote Originally Posted by ninjamitsuki View Post
    I didn't have a Sega CD so I never got to play the originals until recently. From my observations, The Silver Star and Silver Star Story are different and high quality enough that its simply a matter of preference, whereas with Eternal Blue it's Sega CD or bust for a lot of people.

Eternal Blue Complete was far from "Complete". The music was awfully compressed, scenes were removed and added (most of the added ones were pointless, like a fanservicey bath scene...), and the animation... The Sega CD animation was fluid and gorgeous looking for its time, Eternal Blue Complete had a lot of conspicuous cgi and sometimes the characters had really wide gaps between their eyes making them look like geckos. Jean and Lucia had the gecko eye syndrome the worst. It varies from scene to scene, some look better on Sega CD and others look better in the remake. Another thing the remake has going is Hiro's English Voice... Sega CD one is really annoying. And I prefer Jenny Stigile's rendition of the songs better. Also another thing is the dialog too, and that goes down to preference I guess. The Sega CD had a lot of immersion breaking pop culture references (like the infamous Clinton joke) while the Playstation version didn't, and that's a matter of preference.
    It's interesting you mention this, I was just talking with a friend yesterday about Eternal Blue Complete and he said that it wasn't all Kobooka who did the animation. There was this in-betweener who did a decent amount which is why the quality is kind of spotty occasionally. I never really noticed it, but I guess other people did.

I didn't have a Sega CD so I never got to play the originals until recently. From my observations, The Silver Star and Silver Star Story are different and high quality enough that its simply a matter of preference, whereas with Eternal Blue it's Sega CD or bust for a lot of people.
    I disagree. The difference between the original SCD lunar and the remake are just as striking. The SCD original is very primitive in almost every way in comparison. Not saying its a bad game, but the remake's quality is vastly superior to the original. Everything was updated. Some of the new story material wasn't a good fit, but it wasn't so flagrant that it took away from the game.

For Lunar EB, a lot of love went into the SCD game that wasn't put into the remake.

Eternal Blue Complete was far from "Complete". The music was awfully compressed, scenes were removed and added (most of the added ones were pointless, like a fanservicey bath scene...), and the animation... The Sega CD animation was fluid and gorgeous looking for its time, Eternal Blue Complete had a lot of conspicuous cgi and sometimes the characters had really wide gaps between their eyes making them look like geckos.
    well, a lot of what you're saying has to do with the fact the game was originally made for the Saturn and ported over. The two systems had way different hardware, and the PS version took a big hit in almost every department. I'm surprised to hear you mention the cut scenes and not bring up that a few of them looked bad with pixely blocky defects in them. That had to do with the Saturn not having a proper video codec which were taken as is, defects and all, and made worse by being blown up to fill more of the screen.

the gecko thing. lol. I didn't notice it. Maybe they're secretly trying to save you a ton of money on car insurance???

pushing the downgrade from the Saturn to the PS aside, there were a lot of things off with the game. It felt tremendously dumbed down and too easy. The Borgan fight springs to mind. The two games were a wholly different experience. The epilogue for instance, the final stretch in the SCD version is tough. That game wasn't afraid to slap you around. But the remake was just the most amazingly annoying and dull thing ever filling the screen with encounters that were hard to avoid but easy to win.

but still... that animated scene with Luna talking about the blue star's origin while it keeps showing the stone mural reflecting the exact same history with Zophar corrupting humanity and turning it against itself for his own delight and amusment.... except the part about humans turning into evil demons which isn't present on the mural at all. Its not reflected anywhere else in the game either! WTF! Why did they do that?

Reminds me of the FF IV remake on the DS where they did the exact same thing adding a brand new scene that was never in the original where Kluya is murdered and I guess its supposed to explain Golbez's motivation, but winds up screwing up the story and contradicting the end game reveal that Golbez was literally mind controlled vs turned evil for personal reasons.

I fired up Silver Star today. I have to say some of the dialogue you can find it amusing. I've been taking my time and trying to get weird dialogue by going out of my way when possible. Definitely going to play through the SCD Lunars for no real reason. No new games have really gripped me. Plus it's always good to give the SCD some use. I had forgot how different Silver Star was from the PS1 version tbqh.

Interesting info in fugu's post about EB.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Living here in Jersey, fighting villains from afar
    Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    It's interesting you mention this, I was just talking with a friend yesterday about Eternal Blue Complete and he said that it wasn't all Kobooka who did the animation. There was this in-betweener who did a decent amount which is why the quality is kind of spotty occasionally. I never really noticed it, but I guess other people did.
    A ha, thanks, I knew something was wonky. Some of the scenes look great while others have very strange facial proportions.

As for Silver Star, I meant the plot. Of course technologically Silver Star Story is superior, but the stories and soundtracks are very different and in that aspect it's a matter of preference. IMO I like Silver Star Story better. Some people have REALLY thick nostalgia goggles about TSS though, whew.
    Last edited by ninjamitsuki; 04-09-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Or was this just merely speculated by die-hard fans?
    It was never fully-realized, but there was very preliminary work on it. But as I've said many times, once Studio Alex was killed, any chance of another real LUNAR sequel died. There is no true LUNAR without Studio Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    Uh what about the fact that you need to chose item or experience as rewards. Or what about the fact you cannot target enemies if there are multiple eneimes, it randomly picks one for you. I'm sorry there is no way around the game had terrible gameplay, and I doubt people got far enough to even bother with the story because of it.
    honestly i always choose experience as the item are usually worhtless and the fact that we can't choose your target isn't such a problem because it worked always the same way with the IA. I didn't remember any hard battle in this game... you know this kind of choice remind of lunar 2 japanese version on sega cd where you need to sacrifice MP to save your game. yet, working designs broke the original experience to provide an interesting alternative with "exp" for skill but it is not the original experience and won't be...

the psp version of lunar was a real disapointment. slow character, bad revamped music and even the text was way too serious to be true with some character. it was a real pleasure to play it in japanese as Jessica and Kyle were hilarious. the psp version lack of so much things to be a good lunar remake...

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    It was never fully-realized, but there was very preliminary work on it. But as I've said many times, once Studio Alex was killed, any chance of another real LUNAR sequel died. There is no true LUNAR without Studio Alex.
    was really studio alex killed or was it merged with another game arts team or kadokawa shoten ?

Quote Originally Posted by vicireland View Post
    Only Zuul.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast