Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Square Enix had an epiphany?

Square Enix had an epiphany?

Ok so I just found this article on Siliconera that basically says SE wants to stop making crap and wants to make good games again. So what do you guys think? Do they finally get it?

Only when I see these so called good games actually be released

Is it April 1 in Japan?
    XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: Ramzastrife
    Bakery List
    Games beaten/beaten again this year:
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
    Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
    Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
    Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermillion
    Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Quote Originally Posted by ramzastrife View Post
    Is it April 1 in Japan?
    Yeah that's what everyone is joking about XD. It almost sounds too good to be true but well like Storino said we gotta see some games, otherwise it might as well be April fools.

Well Bravely Default does seem to have sold well in NA so who knows

I just wish S-E could have done better on the Final Fantasy V and VI graphical upscales and not be releasing everything on mobile phones

I'm extremely disappointed with Atlus USA in that way, after over 20 years Shin Megami Tensei finally got an official English release and what is it released on, mobiles phones that only have touch screen controls

If they know they have been putting out crap, why decide to change now?
    Must be April fools. They've slowly gone downhill for years.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    SE didn't even make Bravely Default though. Silicon Studio did. Every time the conversation comes up, people mention how great the game is like SE have finally experienced some recent breakthrough and their games are going to get better.

It won't happen. They lost all of their real talent and only their third party games have been enjoyable (for me) over the past few years. Can anyone here name one person who still works for the company that regularly cranks out quality product? Maybe Kitase. Even he has produced a few bad games in recent years, even though he was director of several classics.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    SE didn't even make Bravely Default though. Silicon Studio did. Every time the conversation comes up, people mention how great the game is like SE have finally experienced some recent breakthrough and their games are going to get better.

It won't happen. They lost all of their real talent and only their third party games have been enjoyable (for me) over the past few years. Can anyone here name one person who still works for the company that regularly cranks out quality product? Maybe Kitase. Even he has produced a few bad games in recent years, even though he was director of several classics.
    Well then I guess they should outsource their IP to studios who actually can make good games like Silicon XD. Either that or start hiring/contracting good talent for new games. But yeah SE doesn't have much talent left.

i somehow doubt the World Wide Premise was the issue.

i think Gaijin Goomba said whenever the west is targeted with a game, whatever elements they use to appeal to the west are usually them just scraping the Bottom of the Barrel.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Kou The Mad View Post
    i somehow doubt the World Wide Premise was the issue.

i think Gaijin Goomba said whenever the west is targeted with a game, whatever elements they use to appeal to the west are usually them just scraping the Bottom of the Barrel.
    I agree with you on the first point.

Which games are you referring to, because I'm still not sure where everyone is going with this?

I feel like Nier (loved) was targeted toward western audiences and could have been so much more with a larger budget. So was Last Remnant (hated) but it was half-baked. I can't think of any other games that were developed in Japan last gen that were targeting a western audience. Maybe Infinite Undiscovery (which I enjoyed), but that was a Tri-Ace game and I hear that S-E was only involved at the last minute and that it was largely financed by Microsoft and that S-E was just a figurehead. They published some games that were developed by western companies, and their European / Eidos division has made several titles, as have Crystal Dynamics (Tomb raider). There is also Sleeping Dogs. These games generally received rave reviews. Sleeping Dogs' problem was that S-E did little to market it.

Hardly anyone will touch their mobile apps due to the invasive and broken DRM. They've only hurt their own sales in this segment of the market. And they've only ruined their reputation with the exclusive physical sales through Digital River. I can't imagine that they are having the results that they expected here. It's obvious when "exclusive" games are now quietly coming to Amazon and LE's are the only way for them to float the game on higher profit margins.

The Siliconera article makes a lot of assumptions, and S-E didn't even really release all that many games last year in NA that were developed in Japan. Virtually everything that they published in NA was developed by western companies. They still won't even bring over the latest Dragon Quest games.

If Hitman is their example, then what really seems to be happening is that S-E is finally planning to permit developers to make games without them mucking up the formula. Nearly everything under their umbrella gets mangled. Who was Final Fantasy XIII really developed for? Nothing about that game seems western to me. It's the most linear and story-driven Final Fantasy that I've ever played. That is the extreme epitome of the "console RPG". I like a linear and story-driven game when it's well executed. This one was not.

The real problem is that S-E has become so wrapped up in every aspect of game creation except for creating the game. Big titles have insane budgets but poor direction and small titles have no budget but great ideas.

What Matsuda is simply saying is exactly what Shiba was saying when S-E greenlit Drakengard 3 ( http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/in...ucer-shiba-san ). They wanted to make a game with a specific audience in mind. Whether it turned out well remains to be seen next month.

Edit - I should add that it is my personal opinion that S-E is still just as delusional as ever, and they still cannot see the real issue with their in-house games. Blaming the misguided designs on trying to cater to a global audience is just a way that they are trying to justify their failures to make them not seem like actual failures. Something happened after their successful run from the NES to PSX eras that tainted that company. Maybe they got to be too large and became largely management driven rather than being operated largely by engineers and artists. Their ability to create something fun and beautiful disappeared. What happened? All of the talented engineers and artists left to start their own companies. In case everyone doesn't know, Bravely Default's lead character designer, Akihiko Yoshida, (FFT) recently left S-E after 18 years. I'll bet he joins Matsuno (FFT / Vagrant Story) on some upcoming projects. Coincidentally, they both went freelance within a short timeframe.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 04-01-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast