Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSP Internet Problems

PSP Internet Problems

Just starting recently, my PSP won't connect to my wireless network at home anymore. I have no idea why. It shows in grey letters as not available for some reason. It worked perfectly up until a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know why this would happen? We haven't made any changes to the network and I haven't done anything different with the PSP. It is definitely not modded or anything like that. I did a quick google search and didn't seem to find the answer, thought maybe some PSP pros here might be able to give me an easy answer...

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    Just starting recently, my PSP won't connect to my wireless network at home anymore. I have no idea why. It shows in grey letters as not available for some reason. It worked perfectly up until a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know why this would happen? We haven't made any changes to the network and I haven't done anything different with the PSP. It is definitely not modded or anything like that. I did a quick google search and didn't seem to find the answer, thought maybe some PSP pros here might be able to give me an easy answer...
    The PSP has pretty crummy 802.11b connectivity. I'm surprised it even works as well as it does. Are you sure that you have 802.11b turned on with your wireless access point? It might be possible to see the SSID even if 802.11b is disabled and G / A / N are activated. I actually never had B enabled for years until I got a PSP last year.

Did you try pulling the batteries from the PSP to completely power-cycle it to reset the software / firmware on the 802.11 interface? I've seen lots of small devices with crummy wireless Ethernet stacks just hang up in the past.

Also, are other wireless devices working? If so, which wireless mode are they using? A / B / G / B?

Also, if all else fails, does it work if you turn off the encryption temporarily in the wireless settings? I think that the PSP only has limited support for some WPA/PSK or WEP.

As a last ditch effort, reset your wireless access point / router. For bizarre reasons it could be the something other than the PSP, like a flaky router that's failing to dish out an IP via DHCP. But it sounds like it's not even getting to that point and the radio cannot even connect to start transferring data.

Apartment or house?

It's a house.

Yes, everything else wireless is working. No idea what mode or anything like that is on.
    My biggest concern with all of this as that it worked fine for YEARS and suddenly I've had this problem. Nothing has changed with the network as far as I know, nothing has changed with any other computers or devices. I read all about the limited support that PSP has for certain things, but I don't know why mine would suddenly stop supporting my own network, which it worked fine on up until recently!

I will try taking the battery out, I didn't think of that as a reset method!!

Just starting recently, my PSP won't connect to my wireless network at home anymore. I have no idea why. It shows in grey letters as not available for some reason. It worked perfectly up until a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know why this would happen?
    this may sound a little stupid and obvious, but... did you try the physical wlan switch on the system? that may be the reason its disabled to begin with.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsweetfugu View Post
    this may sound a little stupid and obvious, but... did you try the physical wlan switch on the system? that may be the reason its disabled to begin with.
    It actually tells you this if you try to connect with it turned off,

You weren't using the neighbor's wifi by any chance? If I remember it will take either WEP or WPA atleast.

It's a house.

Yes, everything else wireless is working. No idea what mode or anything like that is on.
    My biggest concern with all of this as that it worked fine for YEARS and suddenly I've had this problem. Nothing has changed with the network as far as I know, nothing has changed with any other computers or devices. I read all about the limited support that PSP has for certain things, but I don't know why mine would suddenly stop supporting my own network, which it worked fine on up until recently!

I will try taking the battery out, I didn't think of that as a reset method!!
    Did you try a cold reboot of the router?

Did all of the above.. still not working. I'm guessing it has something to do with the internet, but as far as I know we didn't change a thing. It is a little annoying, luckily I actually don't play online or anything, just wanted to download some games I bought!

Guess I will have to see if I can do it through the PS3 or something...

Did all of the above.. still not working. I'm guessing it has something to do with the internet, but as far as I know we didn't change a thing. It is a little annoying, luckily I actually don't play online or anything, just wanted to download some games I bought!

Guess I will have to see if I can do it through the PS3 or something...
    Does it give you an error code, or is the SSID just not selectable? Did someone turn on WPA2 or some security on the router that PSP doesn't support? Also, how close is your house to the neighbors? They may have got a new wireless product that's messing with your spectrum. Did you try changing wireless channels?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast