Page 166 of 689 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266666 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 6888

Thread: What Are You Playing?

Anyone familiar with the classic Phantasy Star games know how important it is to play them in order? Not sure if I'll end up playing them atm, but since FFT-0 is being annoying, looking at maybe trying some classics I've never played before.

I've been playing Legend of Zelda Link to the Past on SNES. Just got to the dark world and am a bunny!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizo1 View Post
    Anyone familiar with the classic Phantasy Star games know how important it is to play them in order? Not sure if I'll end up playing them atm, but since FFT-0 is being annoying, looking at maybe trying some classics I've never played before.
    Never beat 2 or 3 but got very far. I really think they are different stories. If you plan to play all of them for sure play them in order. But if you just want a taste of what they are. Phantasy Star IV is among my favorite RPGs of the 16 bit era. I guess you can say it errs more on the side of casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamasura View Post
    Oh cool, i guess you do learn something new everyday :P controlling a mech is what initially drew me to the game, and i'm stuck on the Vulkan level at the moment and it's pretty frustrating (Or i just suck at the game) I started yesterday though and i'm addicted.

Just found out this game is a sequel to an MSX game which is pretty interesting.
    Nah it gets challenging, I've also heard 2 player mode is awesome too but I've never gotten to play it with a friend . This is one of those games I wish would have been ported to PC and modded for online play XD, though there have been modern online games inspired by HZ. I've seen some videos of the original Herzog on Japanese computers, from what I can tell it appears to be more or less the same even down to the music but with lower quality sound/graphics, I think HZ is more of an enhanced port with some extra content though it's labeled as a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I wouldn't call it underrated. I heard about it for years on many Youtube videos for "games worth owning".
    You have a very good point, the reason I call it underrated though it's because initially the game allegedly sold terribly and was really ill received. It was only in the 20XXs that people really saw it's brilliance as a hidden gem rediscovered by retro collecting. I never owned it as a kid, vaguely knew it even existed thanks to the internet, but I tried it out myself a few years ago after watching one of the said Youtube videos. The game instantly melted my brain and made me a fan, made me think I'm so foolish by not simply getting everything in Techno's library. XP

1,2 & 4 are direct sequels though they can be played in any order really depending on how much you want to get into the series. The story links are more tied to the world rather than what's happening in the actual adventure. PS2 starts with the ending battle of PS1 as a dream, problems are still tied to the series villain in some way if I recall correctly. PS4's world is completely molded by the ending events of PS2,s ending and you'll also find references to the original as well. I have no clue how PS3 ties to anything, it's a bit of an oddball but has it's own unique concepts.

PS4 is the best in terms of overall quality, my fav is PS2 though. It's a lot more simpler being an early near launch Genesis title but is an natural predecessor to 4 given it runs on the same engine.

Imho, I think you can do without playing them in order. As ErickRPG pointed out and I agree is that PS 4 is definitely the best of the bunch. The first one is a DC and if you're into that, than you should enjoy it. I've played it back in the day (and beat it), and I believe attempted to replay it several years back (on a GBA), but somewhere along the line I lost interest in it and moved on to something else. And as and old school DC, you'll need to map the dungeons if you expect to survive in it (no auto-map back in the day). Little tip about PS 1 is that I've noticed this back in the day is that the defense in this game doesn't work well (i.e. you can be equipped with the best defensive gear in this game and be hit by an enemy for ranged hp damage (i.e. lets say between 3 to 8 damage)). You can then remove all defensive equipment (don't remember if it allows you to do this), but even so, lets say you now equip the basic defensive gear and guess what, that same enemy will still hit you for the same ranged hp damage (from previous example, between 3 to 8 damage). How Sega let that slide, I'll never know.
    I also just recently replayed PS 2 (this would officially have been my 4th go at it, if I'm keeping the count straight), and this time around, I must admit I didn't enjoy it as much even though I got very far in it, and the main reason for this is these hellacious dungeon designs (warp after warp after warp). FYI, this game in the Genesis era came with a hint book that had all the dungeons mapped out. And without referring to some images of these dungeons while playing it, you are going to spend a lot of time in them revisiting the same places over and over again due to being lost. To beat the final boss(es) , you are also going to need to look it up online as I doubt very much you'll be able to do so with out it. Overall this one is one of the most brutal turn based RPGs (that I played) out there as far as I'm concerned. And the fact that your inventory is very limited won't make things any easier for you.
    PS 3 is the opposite of PS 2 in difficulty as it's literally a breeze where combat is concerned and each dungeon is just one level as far as I can remember (I could be wrong here, but I doubt it.) And the music in it, you'll either love or hate depending on your tastes.
    To sum up, in your case, I would start with 4 (the best in the series) and play 3 after that (it's easy enough and won't have you pull your hair out while playing it. After that like I said earlier, if you like dungeon crawlers, go with 1 and leave 2 for last. If you don't like dungeon crawlers, then give 2 a try. But which ever you start with, I'd stay away from 2 until you've played the rest as that one will test your patience to the max. Though generally they were meant to be played in sequence, I wouldn't recommend sequential playthrough for someone who has never played them before.

I managed to finish Phantasy Star II without any guides as a child once. I am never doing that again. :/

Arc Rise Fantasia is both a very fun and sometimes challenging game but also occasionally a poorly designed one. There are now multiple dungeons without a save point at the end of them and two of these have been before bosses capable of one-shotting you, in fact they both did one-shot me. The last of these (Hilbert) also had no good reason for not having a save point before the boss. Regular encounters can also hit you pretty hard so this game really needs frequent save points. It doesn't just piss me off few of the times I actually do die but also when I almost die.

Apart from that, it's a very solid RPG with good mechanics and a great battle system. Surprisingly ambitious and well made given the other Imageepoch games I've played. I've gotten used to the voice acting too and I have to say I prefer poor English voice acting over Japanese or no voice acting at all.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by INKU4884 View Post
    Arc Rise Fantasia is both a very fun and sometimes challenging game but also occasionally a poorly designed one. There are now multiple dungeons without a save point at the end of them and two of these have been before bosses capable of one-shotting you, in fact they both did one-shot me. The last of these (Hilbert) also had no good reason for not having a save point before the boss. Regular encounters can also hit you pretty hard so this game really needs frequent save points. It doesn't just piss me off few of the times I actually do die but also when I almost die.

Apart from that, it's a very solid RPG with good mechanics and a great battle system. Surprisingly ambitious and well made given the other Imageepoch games I've played. I've gotten used to the voice acting too and I have to say I prefer poor English voice acting over Japanese or no voice acting at all.
    Hilbert actually does have a save point. You mean before Banchu? https://youtu.be/U_9IjA6TMEY?t=29m2s

Unless you are talking about THIS GUY (who was a supreme #Q@(*^&$# who one-hit killed me as well, as I mentioned a few weeks ago).

Spoiler: 

Fortunately Clyde is really close to the entrance of the dungeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXKeVLVKGL4

Man, I was so proud when I finally beat him.

But, agreed, the game does have some design issues but I personally feel that most of the challenge is by design. It actually can get *way* harder at times, especially towards the end of the game, and especially with some optional bosses. I think that's one of the reasons that I liked the game so much. I am sick of easy games. I generally found the challenge in the game to be just right even after I got my ass handed to me by a few bosses and figured out a way to win it. I love the combat system and the characters, in spite of questionable voice acting. Music is great too.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 06-06-2015 at 11:30 PM.

I don't like how you can die with optional bosses in the game, but then the enemy has the upper hand. There was a few bosses like that, that I remember not defeating, and then seeing what happens afterwards gets me discouraged to stop playing and perhaps try to level up more, but I don't and just stopped LOL