Page 509 of 691 FirstFirst ... 9409459499507508509510511519559609 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,090 of 6907

Thread: What Are You Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Ownership stats and reviews say that it probably outsold Dragon Quest VIII but was probably outsold by Final Fantasy X by at least 3 or 4 to 1. Of course, P4 wasn't released until nearly 2009, when PS3 and Xbox 360 had already been around for a while, so that probably says something.
    That makes me wonder why Persona 4 wasn't just moved up to PS3

And I'm playing Dark Souls II on PS3 if anyone wants to join me

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Ownership stats and reviews say that it probably outsold Dragon Quest VIII but was probably outsold by Final Fantasy X by at least 3 or 4 to 1. Of course, P4 wasn't released until nearly 2009, when PS3 and Xbox 360 had already been around for a while, so that probably says something.
    Yeah FF was on it's own plane for quite awhile. Still might be, idk how well the XIII crap sold.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Yeah FF was on it's own plane for quite awhile. Still might be, idk how well the XIII crap sold.
    Enough for two sequels?
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukoblue View Post
    That makes me wonder why Persona 4 wasn't just moved up to PS3

And I'm playing Dark Souls II on PS3 if anyone wants to join me
    Massive architectural differences and a really low early PS3 install-base. It would be another year or so before the PS3 really began to take off and start gaining on 360 and wouldn't really catch up until nearly 2011. Lots of people still were playing PS2 in 2008, even though the 360 had already been out for 3 years. People forget just how poor the PS3 uptake was early on. Obviously things are different with this generation.

Also, it's more common to develop cross-platform games these days. Japanese developers always ignored western middleware and instead used proprietary engines. After taking massive hits last-gen, they began to jump on the bandwagon with engines like Unreal. I don't think that Atlus ever used one until Catherine, where they used Gamebryo, I think that it was an experiment though, as Atlus developed their own engine again for P5.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 06-04-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    I have to wonder if the royalty costs saved amount to the money involved in the cycle of developing and scrapping (or heavily modifying) their own engines constantly. I suspect much of it is stubborn pride.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Pirates View Post
    I have to wonder if the royalty costs saved amount to the money involved in the cycle of developing and scrapping (or heavily modifying) their own engines constantly. I suspect much of it is stubborn pride.
    Undoubtedly so. That's why several Japanese developers started seeking people with experience in Unreal a few years ago. It wasn't just a little thing. It was so huge that I've read that GungHo bought Grasshopper Manufacture for that very reason. Even Klowny can't argue this one in favor of the Sony machine.

By the way, I'm psyched that new No More Heroes game is coming to Switch. Not that I think that the games are the best ever, but I think that they are lots of fun and something has to happen after the blatant Paris: TX ripoff of NMH2.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/05/epi...ent-on-switch/
    Last edited by zborgerd; 06-04-2017 at 10:06 PM.

so after 140+ hours (!) i finished Persona 5, needed something lighter so i dove into Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap on switch and again, it was just fantastic - can't believe i didn't have this one on the SMS.

i have my roommate's copy of Nier: Automata about but im not ready for another timesink quite yet, debating finally finishing Rise of the Dragon. i really wanted to try the un-WD Popful Mail (just for difficulty, mind) but can't get it to work for the life of me.

Went to Cuba last week and since they have almost no internet there the 3ds came in handy during down time. Finally got to go back and knock off some Mario titles I passed over.

Currently playing Yoshiis island DS finally . Love everything about it so far.

Nier Automata should be doable in 20 hours, not too bad really.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Dark Souls II