Page 118 of 692 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218618 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 6911

Thread: What Are You Playing?

1 cc'd Psyvariar 2. Nice screen coverage fire that causes lag from the later bosses. The space for you actually being hit seems really small.

Overall there were some pretty neat things going on here. Your ship transforms more slowly by powering up by being close to enemy fire, you can roll your ship to concentrate your fire and after stages the game checkw your fighter's form to determine what branch you are on which effects difficulty.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

It was my buddy's birthday yesterday, so we played Blur and Split/Second: Velocity. I had bought those with him in mind as well, because I know it's the type of games he really likes. And turned out he really does enjoy them a lot.

Along with the other games I started Gravity Rush. Only played 2 chapters so far but it seems fun.

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    I just, just started it (finished the first chapter) and I find it kind of hard already. Even worse, I'm feeling the battle controls to be a little clunky and outdated. I'm not sure if I am going to keep up with it. How do you feel about the battles?

I've just started it, but I think I'd take Xenosaga and Shadow Hearts over this. What don't you like about those games?
    Yeah controls are dated and clunky. The while dash system is weird to me. Its cool in concept but I think for a "dash" then you should actually dash a further distance than 2 feet. It feels like trying to make a house dash. Most of the time a misjudge the dash distance and under up right where the enemy wants me. And the battle system is ok, I'm my opinion, why mess with the perfection of the first? But of course most people would hate playing a 2d game in a 3d game world...I hope they make VP3 that looks and plays more like the first. Like lunar 1 and 2 for example. But that would be considered dated. God forbid they don't spend 90% of the games budget on the graphics like every crappy game released today.

And I've only played Xenosaga 1 when it was released. 3 hours in I put it down and never looked back. Still want to play xenoblade tho.

I bought xenosaga on release for each one and loved em

Quote Originally Posted by njhowe999 View Post
    Yeah controls are dated and clunky. The while dash system is weird to me. Its cool in concept but I think for a "dash" then you should actually dash a further distance than 2 feet. It feels like trying to make a house dash. Most of the time a misjudge the dash distance and under up right where the enemy wants me. And the battle system is ok, I'm my opinion, why mess with the perfection of the first? But of course most people would hate playing a 2d game in a 3d game world...I hope they make VP3 that looks and plays more like the first. Like lunar 1 and 2 for example. But that would be considered dated. God forbid they don't spend 90% of the games budget on the graphics like every crappy game released today.

And I've only played Xenosaga 1 when it was released. 3 hours in I put it down and never looked back. Still want to play xenoblade tho.
    I don't think the battle system would be too bad if someone made it today. In fact, it could be quite awesome. But it just seems slow and clunky with the way they did it, ten years ago or whatever it was. I'm not sure if I will get used to it, I think I am starting to but I am also playing through slowly....

Alundra.

Maybe I'll finish it this time.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Alundra.

Maybe I'll finish it this time.
    I need to pick it up again as well. I was about 3/4 of the way through it.

I think I'm about half way. Couldn't really figure out what I was doing again. I thought I had saved Giles but the villagers were still blocking the way into Magyscar (or w/e the name is). I'll get it sorted later.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Pier Solar is absolutely excruciating to play. I can't believe all of the hype around this game from all of the Genny fanboys. And, you know, I love my retro games and I love my Genesis. It's becoming one of my new favorite retro consoles.

The game is so slow and clunky, and frankly, pretty ugly. Not because they didn't put a lot of detail into the game but perhaps because they put too much detail into it. Walking through every town and map is like navigating a pawn shop filled to the ceilings with all of the world's junk. You're always bumping into stuff and things are blocking your way. The level up system is irritating in the way the game basically caps you at 1 level per area early on, or else you'll be grinding for eternity.

But by the time you get to the next area you basically are forced to buy all of the best weapons and armor to get an advantage. That may seem to be normal for an RPG, but something about this feels really unbalanced; Almost like 7th Saga levels of unbalanced. And I actually like 7th Saga. At least that game has fluid and fast battles. This has Xenosaga-level animation times for everything. If you want to heal your characters, on the world map, good luck. You'll be watching 10 seconds of animation while the poor little Motorola 68k grinds to a screeching halt while the system renders a bunch of flashing lines. Seriously? Why would someone think that this was even necessary? Want to run from battle because you are sick of grinding for a measly few EXP? Too bad. You're probably going to be blocked for 5-6 rounds.

The battle mechanics are the worst part. The game slows you down by making the gather and block functions practically mandatory at times. One might be quick to say that this was the same argument that people had against Xenosaga 2, but at least proper strategy could let you master that game. Here, there really isn't anything. At least not early on. It's like there are a lot of intentional roadblocks that were placed in to slow down the pace of the game. Furthermore, the menu system is just incredibly annoying and you have to repeated hit the confirm button over and over again to initiate battle. Did we not learn 20+ years ago that there are better options for confirming moves? There is an auto-battle function but it just draws the battles out even longer because the computer makes oodles of stupid moves and just wastes your magic. It's like no real thought when into the auto battle.

Good luck in finding anything without spending 10 minutes walking around a town and going into every door, because the markings for inns and shops are not clear, or you're searching for some unmarked person that might be selling some goods. It clearly makes sense only to the game designers. There seems to be a tremendous amount of random luck in figuring out what to do next. In that respect, it feels more like an 8-bit RPG than a 16-bit one.

This game basically borrows the absolute worst parts of retro 16-bit RPGs and wraps them up into one whole amateur package. Even the name is derivative. Solar / Lunar. The writing is a bit weird. The NPC dialogue is broken English though the main script seems to be cleaned up and is lighthearted and kinda fun. But overall, I just want to avoid NPCs completely.

When you get past the packaging and down to the actual game, it just feels absolutely unrefined.

I don't even know if I can continue to play this with so many other great RPGs out there. On the scale with other epic 16-bit games like; Chrono Trigger, FF IV/VI, or Phantasy Star IV, this game probably would deserve about a 5 or 6. It's clearly a game made by nostalgic artists who know little of game design. It's incredible that they made a game for a retro system, and all, but I just don't feel that it even comes close to hanging with the best of the games. it's barely mid-tier in spite of some attractive graphics work. I hope that their future efforts prove that this was just an early step towards future successes.

We'll see if it picks up. I've been wrong before with first impressions.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 04-04-2015 at 06:19 PM.