Page 507 of 690 FirstFirst ... 7407457497505506507508509517557607 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,070 of 6895

Thread: What Are You Playing?

Beat Tangrams (ds) yesterday.

Started on Prof Layton MM.
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

I finally finished "The Answer" from Persona 3 FES late last month. I've put around 11 hours into Yakuza so far (doing all the side quests). I'm loving the gameplay, so I'm sure I'll appreciate the sequels too that seem to refine the combat and other elements. I'm only in chapter 4 so far, so it's a bit too early for me to comment on the story.

It seems like anyone relevant to the plot is generally MIA or dead . . . though I guess most of the mystery so far is about a missing character and who murdered somebody else and why . . . but other people are currently missing or died in mysterious circumstances as well, so I hope there's much more going on than a seemingly endless loop of people that are missing or dead to "conveniently" lengthen the narrative by preventing it from moving forward.

I kind of get why people might like the Yakuza games better than/see them as an improvement on Shenmue. I guess I don't really care how corny/generic Ryo is and how bad the dialog is in Shenmue though. I can't see myself liking any of the Yakuza games more than Shenmue; unless they make a Yakuza game where one can look through people's houses and examine their belongings in a 1st person view and talk to every single NPC (though I imagine the Yakuza games are probably better if compared to Shenmue more objectively, but I will have to see if any of them ever surpass Shenmue for my tastes . . . it's difficult to imagine how much the sim elements in some of the sequels might sway my current opinion).

I like the somewhat open world aspect of Yakuza and the locations in the game, however, it's hard to compete with the atmosphere and lived-in feeling of Shenmue (I imagine the difference in budget between the two is a significant factor). I wouldn't be surprised if the Yakuza series in general ends up being more fun and has better characters/storylines than Shenmue, but there's not a high bar for such aspects when compared to Shenmue (though I tend to get more out of games I consider to be unique/memorable/overly-ambitious or ahead of their time/conceptually interesting; which are often as equally flawed/tedious and lacking in other aspects).
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 06-03-2017 at 06:21 PM.

The Yakuza story is lol. Part of why I like the games so much. It's so EXTREME.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    The Yakuza story is lol. Part of why I like the games so much. It's so EXTREME.
    I'm not expecting anything super amazing. The mix of arcade style combat, exploration, item collecting, building up stats/learning new moves, and sidequests is all great to me regardless of story. It seems like the sidequests and mini-game content gets more ridiculous/in-depth/time consuming as the series goes on, so I'm looking forward to that.

However, I am also curious to see why people like Yakuza 2's story so much compared to the rest of the series. I might play that next if not too burnt out on the gameplay loop to need a break (otherwise, I'll finally finish Metal Gear Solid 2, which I haven't played in so long that I have no problem starting it over).

2 has the funniest side quest (you'll know what I'm talking about once you get to it). In general I'd rate the plots after the first all about the same. I still need to play 5 though. It's like watching an action flick that knows what it is (like Expendables 2).

And yeah, iirc a lot of content was cut from the US release of the first game. It's all there in the sequels though. 4 had a TON of that kind of content. Date girls! Make #1 hostess girl, make #1 arena brawler etc... Darts, billiards, karaoke, batting cages... There is definitely a lot to do.

MGS2 is pretty good. I would definitely recommend giving it a playthrough.

Also, the amount of swearing and overly-exaggerated accents in the dub of Yakuza is something else (especially the guys that yell "what the f*ck!?!" as if it's a single word). I'm not sure if I'll end up missing it or being glad it was a one-off by the time I get to the sequels. I like that Atlus is localizing the newer entries though and am impressed with what I've seen of 0.

Just wait until you get to the later games which are subbed. The Japanese VA work is so over-the-top.

Edit: Interesting. I hope Atlus left in the Japanese audio.

Just wait until you get to the later games which are subbed. The Japanese VA work is so over-the-top.

Edit: Interesting. I hope Atlus left in the Japanese audio.
    Yeah, dubbing was an attempt to initially give the series more appeal in the West by having people like Mark Hamill and Michael Madsen voice characters. It didn't pay off and would probably piss off the current/growing fanbase if they did that again (though it was probably less clear in 2006 what the market wanted . . . It's hard to keep track of when Japanese games were widely panned for not being Halo/Call of Duty/GTA or ignored as some anime b*llsh*t and how that was seemingly drowned out by some sort of anti-censorship and/or anti-localization nonsense that rebuked anything altered/unpure/not what senpai intended at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_moorehol View Post
    Yeah, dubbing was an attempt to initially give the series more appeal in the West by having people like Mark Hamill and Michael Madsen voice characters. It didn't pay off and would probably piss off the current/growing fanbase if they did that again (though it was probably less clear in 2006 what the market wanted . . . It's hard to keep track of when Japanese games were widely panned for not being Halo/Call of Duty/GTA or ignored as some anime b*llsh*t and how that was seemingly drowned out by some sort of anti-censorship and/or anti-localization nonsense that rebuked anything altered/unpure/not what senpai intended at some point).
    lol wut?

lol wut?
    That's my outsider perspective on the reception of Japanese games by the English speaking internet (when I wasn't playing games during the 2nd half of the PS2 era/all of the PS3 era and into early PS4). It seemed to be a bunch of anime/JRPG hatred and generally seeing Japanese games as behind the times for not generally having AAA budgets/graphics/gameplay and that was overtaken by some louder vocal minority made up of people overly concerned about Japanese games being altered by localization/censorship to some imagined point of "not what the creators intended" that is responded to by boycotting/harassment/etc. Of course, I have no idea how to interpret such things; it's just what was noticeable at one point in time compared to another by someone not paying much attention for the majority of that time period. "Lol wut?" is pretty much my response as well.

I was trying to imagine if a new dubbed Yakuza game came out now (there's Japanese voices in the US version of 0) in comparison to when the first game came out dubbed and apparently nobody bought it (and probably wouldn't have bought it with Japanese voices either back then), so that is what made me think of such things.
    Last edited by mandy_moorehol; 06-03-2017 at 07:58 PM.