Page 557 of 690 FirstFirst ... 57457507547555556557558559567607657 ... LastLast
Results 5,561 to 5,570 of 6894

Thread: What Are You Playing?

Started the Last Guardian a couple days back and enjoying it. Visually it's quite amazing, the controls of the boy/beast are a bit wonky to me sometimes but we're still enjoying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBonkers View Post
    Actually this makes the localization good, but because it doesn't match the Japanese Script 1:1 people throw a fit. And if that's a problem for you, GTFO, go improve your Japanese and play the Japanese version to be as pure and kawaii as you want.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Well, what about a dedicated GPU dock in the future? But then that would make the Switch tethered to that for the sake of better graphics/performance, than on the go.
    I honestly think that's what Nintendo really should have done to achieve maximum docked performance, but it would have substantially increased the cost of the system. It's entirely possible that future docks could be sold as an upgrade, much like PS4 PRO or or XBox One S, but it doesn't appear to be technically possible since the docking is no more than a USB-C dock and PCB with power delivery and a USB hub.

There is no practical way to do high-speed video processing on the dock for current models unless there is Thunderbolt 3 under the hood, which seems unlikely. Mainly because it's not Intel.

Still, the current dock runs $90 for an extra, so it's not like they are cheap. It's a massive profit margin for a dock that doesn't really do much.
    Last edited by zborgerd; 12-13-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    ARM architecture isn't really up on the core throttling / halting like Intel is. In some ways, Intel might have been a better option for a portable unit that utilizes this technology in the same way that a laptop CPU will use dynamic frequency scaling / SpeedStep or similar. I think though that the ARM choice was more of a decision for improved future interations.

The GPUs are another story though. I think that Nintendo is playing mostly with reducing GPU processing load.

The biggest issue is just a lack of optimization. Lots of sloppy Intel ports now that load the hardware down.
    I don't think they had a choice on CPU since they used a SoC from Nvidia. Even if they did, Atom got chucked under a bus and downclocking their mobile CPUs probably wouldn't drop power usage enough.

Wii and WiiU are PPC aren't they? Are developers that aren't Nintendo able to patch their games this time around?

I always thought $90 was a bit extreme for another dock. I use my 3ds docks constantly to charge them and I'd grab a spare for the switch but not at the current price. [need to grab one for the n3dsxl yet]
    "Anything fun costs atleast $8" "Winners don't play video games"
    GW Villan HQ Crew
    "Only a true deviant will have never played Zelda or Bayonetta."

I have a extender cable from the Switch dock to my Switch (that I am using in an old metal ipad stand). Works great.

In other news, Chapter 4 of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, 22 hours. The music during the intense moments fit so well! Each end Chapter has an engaging round of cutscenes.

Odd. I feel a bit sad that I'm not enjoying Xenoblade Chron. 2 at all.

What's wrong, Tubsi?

I feel like I should start a rant about life.

Anyway, the game just feels dull. Gotta admit, it doesn't help trying to kill something in the first area, only to get attacked by a massive eagle and murdered. 50% of the time you get picked off by a massive enemy without seeing them, despite throwing rocks and pulling creatures off to the side to avoid such situations.

I had that come across a few times, but generally you can avoid the higher level enemies by making a wide circle around them.

Gaijinworks Villain Cabal Port; Tending GVC Troll Pits
    Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I honestly think that's what Nintendo really should have done to achieve maximum docked performance, but it would have substantially increased the cost of the system. It's entirely possible that future docks could be sold as an upgrade, much like PS4 PRO or or XBox One S, but it doesn't appear to be technically possible since the docking is no more than a USB-C dock and PCB with power delivery and a USB hub.

There is no practical way to do high-speed video processing on the dock for current models unless there is Thunderbolt 3 under the hood, which seems unlikely. Mainly because it's not Intel.

Still, the current dock runs $90 for an extra, so it's not like they are cheap. It's a massive profit margin for a dock that doesn't really do much.
    Nintendo already opted for the cheaper SoC option so I doubt a custom design with PCIe lanes/Thunderbolt was ever on the table.

According to Ars the Switch is considerably downclocked from the X1 specs. Shield TV runs at the X1's listed specs as far as I know so I'd guess Nintendo didn't want the gap between docked/undocked to be as wide?

Nintendo's performance improvements so far may be them fiddling with clocks and pushing it as far as they can without pushing power and temps.
    Last edited by Lord of Pirates; 12-13-2017 at 05:38 PM.