Page 97 of 687 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197597 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing?

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is SO good! My Activity Log says I'm at almost 31 hours already and I've barely scratched the surface. Good online is what the series has been missing so far but it works really well in this one. Obviously no voice chat still because Nintendo but that's often for the better when playing with randoms.

I forgot how weird the up-side down castle in SOTN is to look at initially.
    Bad media connoisseur and frequent avatar changer.

Can't sleep, figured I'd throw up an update of what has been going on with me.

Console, playing Tales of Symphonia. It just seems to be kind of slogging along. I'm not sure if it is me, or the game, or a mixture of both. I never feel too compelled to pick it up. But when I do play it, I do like it. It just feels a little samey for me. I know it is a classic for its time, and there isn't much I actively hate about it. Right now, though, it just seems a bit tedious and not very compelling. Maybe I'm a little less interested in the story. My only real complaint, game wise, is that you can't fast forward/skip the private action type conversations when you hit select. They aren't voiced- and I read the thing real fast. The characters don't really compel me a whole lot either. The other thing I don't really care for is how they just throw a bunch of party members at you at once, and there isn't a lot of variety between them in my eyes. As long as I have someone who can heal, I'm not too concerned who else is in the party. Maybe I'm just a little sour on this type of game right now. I'll hold off on a rating until I finish it.

Handheld, I am playing Shin Megami Tensei- Strange Journey. I am actually enjoying it quite a bit. I'm at a point where I think I am a bit overpowered. The dungeons have a good difficulty level, the puzzles are hard but not too hard, and all the added aspects of demon fusion and all that make this a really cool formula. It does seem a little on the long side, even without doing quests. I know dungeon crawlers are known for that a bit. I would have to say that this is probably one of the better DS games out there. I'm leaning towards an 8/10 on this, but it can swing a point either way as I get further into it.

Non RPG is being taken up with Gran Turismo 6, still. I guess you can call it Non RPG, but it has many RPG elements if you think about it. I'm almost done with the second to last class. One bummer for me is that the online play doesn't seem to be a lot of fun. I wish that was improved a bit.

Up next for me tentatively are Valkyrie Profile 2 (Dusting off the PS2), and possible another DS game. I was thinking maybe Contact or Lunar: Dragon Song. I know LunarDS is considered one of the worst games ever. I still want to give it a shot, and it is easy and cheap to find. I often find goodness in other peoples garbage, so maybe that will happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    Handheld, I am playing Shin Megami Tensei- Strange Journey. I am actually enjoying it quite a bit. I'm at a point where I think I am a bit overpowered. The dungeons have a good difficulty level, the puzzles are hard but not too hard, and all the added aspects of demon fusion and all that make this a really cool formula. It does seem a little on the long side, even without doing quests. I know dungeon crawlers are known for that a bit. I would have to say that this is probably one of the better DS games out there. I'm leaning towards an 8/10 on this, but it can swing a point either way as I get further into it.
    What point are you on? I got to the third world (I believe I did all the side quests for the other two) I felt like I was playing for an eternity for some reason lol. It's good stuff, I gotta go back and finish it some time.

Up next for me tentatively are Valkyrie Profile 2 (Dusting off the PS2), and possible another DS game. I was thinking maybe Contact or Lunar: Dragon Song. I know LunarDS is considered one of the worst games ever. I still want to give it a shot, and it is easy and cheap to find. I often find goodness in other peoples garbage, so maybe that will happen again.
    I'd watch out if I were you, I've heard a rumor from a friend of a friend that if you play the game long enough (like 5-10 mins) you contract hemorrhoids. Not sure if it's true but I wouldn't risk it.

I couldn't really get into Symphonia either. I think it's pretty easily the most overrated Tales of entry in terms of western recognition.

Playing Tales of Vesperia right now.

As mentioned in another thread I beat Firefly Diary a few days ago. Also finished up SOTN before that.

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Can't sleep, figured I'd throw up an update of what has been going on with me.

Console, playing Tales of Symphonia. It just seems to be kind of slogging along. I'm not sure if it is me, or the game, or a mixture of both. I never feel too compelled to pick it up. But when I do play it, I do like it. It just feels a little samey for me. I know it is a classic for its time, and there isn't much I actively hate about it. Right now, though, it just seems a bit tedious and not very compelling. Maybe I'm a little less interested in the story. My only real complaint, game wise, is that you can't fast forward/skip the private action type conversations when you hit select. They aren't voiced- and I read the thing real fast. The characters don't really compel me a whole lot either. The other thing I don't really care for is how they just throw a bunch of party members at you at once, and there isn't a lot of variety between them in my eyes. As long as I have someone who can heal, I'm not too concerned who else is in the party. Maybe I'm just a little sour on this type of game right now. I'll hold off on a rating until I finish it.

Non RPG is being taken up with Gran Turismo 6, still. I guess you can call it Non RPG, but it has many RPG elements if you think about it. I'm almost done with the second to last class. One bummer for me is that the online play doesn't seem to be a lot of fun. I wish that was improved a bit.

Tales of Symphonia suffers from being the first game, in my opinion, to really define the modern Tales formula. The game is now 12 years old. At its time, it did a lot of things exceptionally well, but I can imagine that gamers these days might have a hard time going back to play it with some of the modern Tales games as a reference. For example, I think that Vesperia is a much better game in almost all respects, but I still find Symphonia to be one of my favorites in the series. Nostalgia may be a factor.

The other two games are on the top of my play queue. SMT: Strange Journey seems more like a dungeon crawl than Persona. More like a Wiz clone. I almost think that I would like it more. And I've played the first two Valkyrie Profile games a bit but haven't yet spent the time on really playing through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I couldn't really get into Symphonia either. I think it's pretty easily the most overrated Tales of entry in terms of western recognition.

Playing Tales of Vesperia right now.

As mentioned in another thread I beat Firefly Diary a few days ago. Also finished up SOTN before that.
    What was your opinion of it? Overrated, or a true classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    I bought Symphonia at launch and I vividly remember my excitement for that game at the time. It looked brilliant, unlike anything I had in my collection at the time.

Part of the myth created around that game has to do with that initial excitement, I think. The GameCube was a barren wasteland for JRPGs at the time and then game this game that had everything the GameCube had missed out on for YEARS: a very colourful world, anime sequences, and anime style characters. It was totally the right game at the right time. It landed on perfectly fertile ground, with starving fans drooling over it from the get go.

It was the first Tales game I played too. Anyway, nowadays I gotta say that I like Tales of Eternia A LOT more. But Symphonia still is a good game imo. There are way worse Tales games out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    I bought Symphonia at launch and I vividly remember my excitement for that game at the time. It looked brilliant, unlike anything I had in my collection at the time.

Part of the myth created around that game has to do with that initial excitement, I think. The GameCube was a barren wasteland for JRPGs at the time and then game this game that had everything the GameCube had missed out on for YEARS: a very colourful world, anime sequences, and anime style characters. It was totally the right game at the right time. It landed on perfectly fertile ground, with starving fans drooling over it from the get go.

It was the first Tales game I played too. Anyway, nowadays I gotta say that I like Tales of Eternia A LOT more. But Symphonia still is a good game imo. There are way worse Tales games out there.
    While being a Nintendo exclusive outside of Japan was an important factor, I still think that the game held up well to the competition. Gamecube did ultimately get some other RPGs of quality, namely Skies, Baten Kaitos, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario, etc. And I suppose you could count Zelda and PSO. Not all exclusives though. It pales compared to the quantity on the PS2, but some of the games were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    What was your opinion of it? Overrated, or a true classic?
    I rate it castlevania out of castlevania. It's overrated as a 10/10 imo. Falls right in line though as a good, playable game in the series. 8/10+ material like the GBA and DS titles.

Quote Originally Posted by JWiley_12 View Post
    Eternia and Destiny are better than anything up until and after Vesperia in terms of what received a western release.

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    Tales of Symphonia suffers from being the first game, in my opinion, to really define the modern Tales formula. The game is now 12 years old. At its time, it did a lot of things exceptionally well, but I can imagine that gamers these days might have a hard time going back to play it with some of the modern Tales games as a reference. For example, I think that Vesperia is a much better game in almost all respects, but I still find Symphonia to be one of my favorites in the series. Nostalgia may be a factor.
    My thoughts on it are pretty much the same as they were when I first got it. I didn't have any hype going in either.