Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Grafx 16

Quote Originally Posted by zborgerd View Post
    I've got several in various US / Japanese / console / portable incarnations, as well as the CD. Dracula X is a good game but I like SOTN much better. Still, a worthy game to have on the system and far better than that silly SNES version.

Sapphire is good, but not nearly as good as the Caravan shooters. People overstate the pre-rendered 3D graphics, and the game is not a worthwhile collectible unless you want to own it just to own it. It's a decent game but by no means a great game.

If you want good shooters, Soldier Blade, Final Solder, Gunhed / Blazing Lasers are hard to beat. See here:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/sta...tarsoldier.htm
    http://magweasel.com/2010/07/06/cara...mmer-carnival/

Been a point of mine to collect all of the Hudson Caravan shooters between the NES and the PC Engine. If I had to pick a favorite it would be Soldier Blade, followed closely by Gunhed / Blazing Lasers (because Compile used to kick ass before they only made garbage moe' / fanservice games as Compile Heart).

The Gradius 1 & 2 / Parodius Da! / Salamander ports are excellent. I love Salamander because I was a big fan of Life Force as a kit. Even better are Lords of Thunder (absolutely badass game) and Gate of Thunder.

As for Cute-em-ups, there are many. Parodius (mentioned above) is a good series. Cotton is popular and the Japanese version is reasonably accessible. Detana! Twinbee is fun. Air Zonk is often a favorite of many, and there are nearly arcade--perfect ports of Fantasy Zone and Ordyne. Might as well just buy a Japanese PC Engine because it's one of the most impressive game machines ever made and has a world-class selection of shooters (the US library is pretty weak in comparison).
    And yes he did mention the greatest game ever XP

I have Super Star Soldier. Where does that fit in the series, or are they not related by story?

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    I have Super Star Soldier. Where does that fit in the series, or are they not related by story?
    Not really.

Technically Speaking all three main Star Soldiers play very much alike (and no Story) Soldier Blade just has a nice flair to it XP and some cool robots both large and small

Melostreamer Deathcore Troll Space Outpost
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristides View Post
    Technically Speaking all three main Star Soldiers play very much alike (and no Story) Soldier Blade just has a nice flair to it XP and some cool robots both large and small
    The music and gameplay are outstanding. The weapons upgrades are outrageous and fun. I generally don't like overhead shooters but I love all of the caravan games. Anyone who hasn't played SOldier Blade should check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnnWK9coJ2c

The first game that I (re)played when I got a real PC Engine was Gunhed (previously I played PCE games with adapters on a Turbo). The first game I (re)played when I recapped my Turbo Express last November was Soldier Blade.

One of the most impressive aspects of the PC Engine is the fact that it uses a souped-up version of the 8-bit WDC 6502 core that is in the NES. It's even possible to run NES games with some video and audio emulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKP5lRoa4Sc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpiv2T8DP2U

It's the system's graphics hardware that makes intense high-speed shooters work-well. I think that it was highly underestimated in the west during the 16-bit era, and it really was a powerhouse of an 8-bit gaming machine.

I might get a Turbo Duo
    bleh! I wouldn't do that unless you know how to remove and replace surface mount capacitors (they all had plague capacitors put in them). If you really wanted to replace your turbo+CD, import a modded Duo R. Those are supposed to be rock solid and you won't have to worry about shelling out for a pricey hu-card converter.

Like everyone knows, most of the US territory games are outrageously priced.
    The prices aren't all bad. Most of the earlier games are still common and reasonably priced complete. The later the game was published in the US (with some exceptions), the rarer/more overpriced the games get. Especially on ebay. Ebay is ripoff city

I think I am finally willing to import on this console and am interested in shoot-em-ups of the "cute" variety.
    you aren't one of those guys are you. _ looking for a waifu (lol, j/k)

Also I thought about possibly Castlevania X Rondo of Blood for PC Engine CD. Anyone try that?
    yes. game's awesome. Was a pricey import almost 20 years ago. Still a little pricey. Was made during a time where Konami was in its prime. As far as I know, they didn't make a game for the PC Engine that wasn't good.

I'm not big into importing on the system. I just know the popular imports.

As far as cute-em-ups in the US on the TG

Fantasy Zone
    Magical Chase (be prepared to take out a loan if you want it and can manage to find one)
    Cotton (CD game)
    Air Zonk
    Super Air Zonk (CD game)

I've played Air Zonk, Fantasy Zone, and Magical Chase. Air Zonk is pretty fun but weird. The other two I didn't care for.

The only Japanese one I'm aware of is Parodius and that game is f'ing amazing as far as games on hu-cards go.

other schmups I'd say are worth picking up:

US:
    Blazing Lasers (its a must own in my book. common and affordable if over priced IMO)
    Galaga '90
    Aero Blasters
    Raiden (the TG version somehow managed to be the best of its generation)
    R-Type
    Super Star Soldier
    Gate of Thunder (CD)
    Lords of Thunder (CD)
    (technically a shooter) Bloody Wolf
    and (technically its a shooter) Last Alert CD (because of the amazing voice acting)

I don't agree with the popular opinion on Soldier Blade. Its ok. I don't think its as good as others make it out to be. Its certainly not good enough to drop $100+ on. The cost of that game alone, loose with no jewel case or instructions, it would be cheaper to buy a Wii system just to play Soldier Blade on VC. About half those games I listed above are reasonably priced, the others tend to be around $60 or more which I don't feel is worth it in any case. Super Star Soldier is one of those games. Its fun, but I wouldn't pay anything over $40 for it. I decided to throw Last Alert and Bloody Wolf in there despite not being scrolling schmups. They're both a bit like Ikari Warriors.

Japan:
    Gradius
    Gradius 2 Gofer (CD)
    Salamander
    Twinbee

and that's the extent of my super limited knowledge on PC Engine schmups
    Last edited by sweetsweetfugu; 04-23-2014 at 07:24 AM.

If you're interested in the first (and only to my knowledge) full frontal male nudity in a shooter, you want Download 2.

I have no idea what these games I've mentioned sell for now, I'm just pulling them out of my butt from when I played them all 20 years ago. At one point, I was closing in on a complete PC-Engine collection with over 400 games for it, and until I sold my Magical Chase (upon learning how crazy prices were on it), I had a complete US TG collection.

Star Parodier is pretty cute, but if you ever get a chance to check out Coryoon, do (holy crap, I just checked Ebay and it goes for $200-ish. Wow.). L-Dis is pretty cheap at only $19-$35, tho. Good purchase at that price.

Other have mentioned Cotton, and it is super duper fun.

Totally go for the JP version instead of the US. There is a language select in the JP version which allows you to play the whole game in English, so you're basically just paying a premium for the US version if you want a translated manual and disc are that doesn't say PC Engine on it.

Vic, I hope you sold that Magical Chase in the last year or so instead of further back. Right now it's like a $5000+ game if it's complete with the box. It blows my mind. I'll stick the the pirate US cart I had made awhile back instead, and keep the extra money to upgrade my house or something.

Wow. And it's only mint. I wonder how much they would be asking for a new copy if they had it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magical-Chas...item48642f46c6

Quote Originally Posted by almighty View Post
    Wow. And it's only mint. I wonder how much they would be asking for a new copy if they had it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magical-Chas...item48642f46c6
    My soul weeps ;_;

Page 2 of 130 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast