Thread: What happened to Phantom Breakers?

What happened to Phantom Breakers?

I don't think I can think of any other case as weird as this in recent memory. The game was announced for release, went as far as taking pre-orders, was delayed for what felt like almost a year before finally being cancelled, but then there is occasionally the rumor it will come out, and they did make the live marketplace release. This one has me intrigued, if for no other reason then to ask whether they actually made a couple of copies and never released them, just for it being so far along in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by KrownKlown View Post
    I don't think I can think of any other case as weird as this in recent memory. The game was announced for release, went as far as taking pre-orders, was delayed for what felt like almost a year before finally being cancelled, but then there is occasionally the rumor it will come out, and they did make the live marketplace release. This one has me intrigued, if for no other reason then to ask whether they actually made a couple of copies and never released them, just for it being so far along in the process.
    I thought the company that was publishing it was planned to be a digital-only vendor.

I don't know, it was supposed to be released as a physical special edition, and listed by gamestop and amazon for over a year. What happened I don't know, but a few die hard still occasionally email, and last I heard they said they would still release, but I doubt it will happen, and like you said if it does, probably only digital release.

Then again there really is no point to release this digital only, I can't imagine this has a big user base, there are better or more interesting digital only fighters, and strikes as the type of game that sells its only handful of copies to speculating collector's.

I had this preordered on Amazon, and then it got delay after delay, and then they said it would be digital only. I'm sure it was far along, physically.

This will most definitely NOT come out at this point. The reason being is that as is the norm for a fighting game, it has already gotten an updated/upgraded version called Phantom Breaker Extra released in japan (360/PS3). I imported the Jpn PS3 LE months ago (I'm a huge fighting game collector ). There would be no point releasing an outdated version now. I remember reading somewhere that the original game was delayed because Microsoft had some policy of a minimum print run of phys copies, which the publisher could not afford, though it was probably just internet speculation.

PB Extra is the more likely game to be published now, but I doubt they'd go with a phys release and it'd depend on the sales figures of the Spin-off beat'em up PB: Battlegrounds that was released on XBLA in NA. Also a final point of curiosity, the original game WAS completed. A couple guys from 7Sixty (the publisher) even visited the gaming website, ScrewAttack, and had a stream of the game with them, and even some review copies were sent to websites. I particularly remember reading on Destructoid that they still had their review copy of the game... damn now that's a collector piece.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
    This will most definitely NOT come out at this point. The reason being is that as is the norm for a fighting game, it has already gotten an updated/upgraded version called Phantom Breaker Extra released in japan (360/PS3). I imported the Jpn PS3 LE months ago (I'm a huge fighting game collector ). There would be no point releasing an outdated version now. I remember reading somewhere that the original game was delayed because Microsoft had some policy of a minimum print run of phys copies, which the publisher could not afford, though it was probably just internet speculation.

PB Extra is the more likely game to be published now, but I doubt they'd go with a phys release and it'd depend on the sales figures of the Spin-off beat'em up PB: Battlegrounds that was released on XBLA in NA. Also a final point of curiosity, the original game WAS completed. A couple guys from 7Sixty (the publisher) even visited the gaming website, ScrewAttack, and had a stream of the game with them, and even some review copies were sent to websites. I particularly remember reading on Destructoid that they still had their review copy of the game... damn now that's a collector piece.
    I wish I had that review copy!