Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Child of Light

Child of Light

I downloaded this yesterday. Went out and bought a PSN card for Persona 2 and Persona 3, and decided to get this at the same time. I didn't hear anything about it until release, and then was kind of surprised that it was being called an RPG. Looking at a few screenshots, it looked like a cool little side scroller so I went for it. I am barely into it, but I like it so far. I like how they made most of the lines rhyming like a fairy tale. Pretty unique!

Then I got to my first battle, I almost crapped my pants. I did not expect a turn based system! I figured I would be hacking and slashing like an action RPG. My enjoyment just went up tenfold. I was just going to play it as a distraction, but I think I've decided to play it all the way through before picking up another RPG.

Anyone else try it out?

From what I've read, it's a very short RPG approx. 12-15 hrs of play time.

I got that too. I am already in Chapter 4 after 2-3 hrs of gameplay, and there are 10 chapters.

This doesn't bother me though. Not every game has to be a 60 hour epic. I liked The Last Story for the same reason. The Last Story is probably longer than Child of Light, but it had a great story, good characters, and interesting gameplay.

As far as price goes. I have a completely absurd formula that I created for myself, which is that if I spend 1 dollar for each hour of gameplay, I feel as though I got a good deal. So $15 for a 15 hour game is right around where I want it to be.

Plus, the battle system is Grandia III-ish which I really enjoy, that was one of my favorite battle systems ever...

I personally don't mind the game being 12 - 15 hrs, I often fear that my huge backlog will never be completed, not even in the log term. I don't recall the last game I cleared and for some reason I keep replaying games I already cleared before X_X. Sometimes something more "manageable" is appreciated, and given how non RPGs tend to be only a few hours long at double the price I think it's reasonable.

I just don't want my game bloated, a long game doesn't always mean a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by daylightdies View Post
    I just don't want my game bloated, a long game doesn't always mean a good game.
    So true, some games just add filler or extensive grinding just to qualify as an 60hr epic. I don't mind length as long as it's justified, even a little.

^yeah but the counter argument is that its usually optional, most rpgs especially early FF games you could blow through them in under 15 hours, but had optional mission that expanded it to 50-100. IMO if its optional than I don't really either way.

I used to like the longer rpgs. Now I prefer shorter games since I don't sit down to play for hours on end like I used to.

^That is one of the reasons I never played Star Ocean two and its 85 endings.

Quote Originally Posted by krownklown View Post
    ^that is one of the reasons i never played star ocean two and its 85 endings.
    85? ... Eighty five?!!! O_O

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast